It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finding a suction leak
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:14 am 
LOST Addict

Keep in mind this leak could be anywhere from the pump backwards to the tank. You will become very familiar with this system before it's corrected. While I know you are focusing on connections (which are important), don't overlook the hose materials. If a hose ever got bent, crimpted, pinched, or chaffed, it will become prone to this type of leak over time (this damage can happen in handling, not necessarily while on the vehicle). Personally recommend starting at the pump and trace the entire system backwards, inspecting for any damage.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject: Re: Finding a suction leak, Found another
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:10 pm 
LOST Addict

RFCRD wrote:
Keep in mind this leak could be anywhere from the pump backwards to the tank. You will become very familiar with this system before it's corrected. While I know you are focusing on connections (which are important), don't overlook the hose materials. If a hose ever got bent, crimpted, pinched, or chaffed, it will become prone to this type of leak over time (this damage can happen in handling, not necessarily while on the vehicle). Personally recommend starting at the pump and trace the entire system backwards, inspecting for any damage.

Well off came the front skid and I spotted a hose clamp at fuel pump inlet. The fuel pump is somewhere between the alternater and a/c compressor, not easy to get to. I used my long (about 36") screwdriver to try to tighten. When I touched the clamp with the srewdriver the hose and clamp twisted and I knew right the there was a problem. I found the clamp loose, unabled to tighten and stripped. I couldn't work with it much underneath so back on went the skid plate. When I put the Jeep back on the ground I found I could get to it by removing the intercooler hose and connector behind it at the intake. Then I was abled to remove the hoce, and stripped clamp and since there was enough room on the fitting and hose I double clamped it. I know I found an air leak this time, I hope it's the last one. 8)

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject: had to try it
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:48 pm 
LOST Member

Well after watching this post for a few days, I had to give my bleeder a try. I put a piece of clear hose on the end of the bleeder valve, pumped the primer about 5 times, it was starting to pump harder so I stopped, then cracked open the valve and sure enough, psssssss, air came out of it. So I closed the valve and did it again,, and not until my 3rd. try was it just fuel coming out of the valve when I opened it. So that tells me there must be a small air leak somewhere in the system, or it is just the nature of the beast, can't believe that air would collect in this location though. I bleed it once before as per OEM service manual instructions when draining the water out of the filter. I know there was no air in it when I got done doing the water drain. Guess I will wait to see what shows up on here, can't see how air would get into the filter head from a leak near the pump since it is upstream from the filter. Who knows.....:)

Flame Red 2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4.0L, 6sp, dual tops, Amsoil ASL 5W30 engine oil and EAO42 filter, IPF 920hc head light conversion with PIAA Xtreme White plus bulbs, Sylvania Silverstar H3ST fogs, Armadillo front/rear bumper caps and pretty much loaded.A few pics of my rig. http://www.gwkweather.net/id5.html

Post subject: Re: had to try it
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:10 pm 
LOST Addict

jeep06 wrote:
Well after watching this post for a few days, I had to give my bleeder a try. I put a piece of clear hose on the end of the bleeder valve, pumped the primer about 5 times, it was starting to pump harder so I stopped, then cracked open the valve and sure enough, psssssss, air came out of it. So I closed the valve and did it again,, and not until my 3rd. try was it just fuel coming out of the valve when I opened it. So that tells me there must be a small air leak somewhere in the system, or it is just the nature of the beast, can't believe that air would collect in this location though. I bleed it once before as per OEM service manual instructions when draining the water out of the filter. I know there was no air in it when I got done doing the water drain. Guess I will wait to see what shows up on here, can't see how air would get into the filter head from a leak near the pump since it is upstream from the filter. Who knows.....:)

Today before I left work I bleed it clear. When I arrive to dealer 12 miles away, lots of air again. Could be the connection or pickup in the tank. It's the dealer problem now, I have 300C for a loaner from them. :D

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

no-blue-screen wrote:
I get loads of smoke when I get on it hard. I thought this was pretty much normal for this engine. Is there anyone out there who doesn't get smoke on hard accelleration?

Mine does not smoke like that. Only when the egr valve went south did it smoke badly but even then it had to be viewed from behind, or at a stoplight on acceleration. I found that it smoked far worse when 2 glow plugs went bad than with a bad egr valve. A co-worker had a CRD and I have followed his on the Interstate on full acceleration and never saw more than a small puff, when first starting out on the access ramp.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:10 am 
LOST Junkie

BLake wrote:
2. Depress the fuel primer 20 consecutive times then open the bleeder screw on top of the housing to dispel
trapped air.

I take it the bleeder valve is the small flat-head screw in the center of the plunger?

EDIT: Doh, sorry, didn't see the silver bleeder screw on the left side of the housing that looks just like a brake bleeder screw.

Last edited by no-blue-screen on Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:28 am 
LOST Addict

no-blue-screen wrote:
BLake wrote:
2. Depress the fuel primer 20 consecutive times then open the bleeder screw on top of the housing to dispel
trapped air.

I take it the bleeder valve is the small flat-head screw in the center of the plunger?

No, you missed. Looks like a brake bleeder, loostens with a small box wrench. Sticks out of the filter head pointing toward the passenger side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:31 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks, got it. It is 11mm. There was a little air in there. I pumped and bled a couple of times unit I got a bubble free stream a Diesel coming out. Gonna run to the store shortly and see how it runs. I also tightened the two hose clamps a little. There was a little oily residue on the hose clamp that is right in front of the bleeder screw. I am going to hit the area with some brake parts cleaner to clean it up. That way I will know if something is leaking if it builds up that resudue again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:37 am 
LOST Addict

no-blue-screen wrote:
Thanks, got it. It is 11mm. There was a little air in there. I pumped and bled a couple of times unit I got a bubble free stream a Diesel coming out. Gonna run to the store shortly and see how it runs. I also tightened the two hose clamps a little. There was a little oily residue on the hose clamp that is right in front of the bleeder screw. I am going to hit the area with some brake parts cleaner to clean it up. That way I will know if something is leaking if it builds up that resudue again.

You don't want to use brake part cleaner near the hoses & wiring. Try ether (starting fluid) as it won't harm the hoses, just make sure the engine is not running at the time. I'm still watching the plug for the heater for a leak, was wet a few weeks back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well, I drove to Mom's in Baltimore and she is running great! Looks like the air in the system was causing the bucking....it runs very smooth and actually feels like it has more power!

Hopefully the air won't come back...if it does, I guess I have to try and figure out where the leak is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:15 pm 
LOST Addict

no-blue-screen wrote:
Well, I drove to Mom's in Baltimore and she is running great! Looks like the air in the system was causing the bucking....it runs very smooth and actually feels like it has more power!

Hopefully the air won't come back...if it does, I guess I have to try and figure out where the leak is.

Two CRD's on the family? Isn't that like double the trouble?

When you can spend some quality time with your CRD, back-trace the fuel lines and carefully check/tighten the hose clamps. One can never tell how careful yours was assembled and it only takes one loose connection to cause problems. I found one of the brass washers on the top of the filter head elongated/distorted from tightening the fittings at the factory. That is enough to eventually cause a suction leak which would be almost impossible to see.