It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:07 am 
LOST Addict

KY Liberty wrote:
You might want to talk to Wayne at APS Precision.
http://apsprecision.com/

They built a custom tc with a 2500 rpm stall and a 2.53:1 multiplier instead of 1.93:1 for my 3.7 with a 45RFE. It also puts around 6-8% more power to the ground. I also got the Transgo performance shift kit from them that made it shift much better, faster, and increased the line pressure. They can probably build something for your CRDs. You need to check into getting the torque management values adjusted too. I had B&G reprogram my PCM with the torque management deleted. I'm not sure who you would need to contact for a CRD.

How much for that custom TC?....if you dont mind telling.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:05 am 
LOST Junkie

KY Liberty wrote:
You might want to talk to Wayne at APS Precision.
http://apsprecision.com/

They built a custom tc with a 2500 rpm stall and a 2.53:1 multiplier instead of 1.93:1 for my 3.7 with a 45RFE. It also puts around 6-8% more power to the ground. I also got the Transgo performance shift kit from them that made it shift much better, faster, and increased the line pressure. They can probably build something for your CRDs. You need to check into getting the torque management values adjusted too. I had B&G reprogram my PCM with the torque management deleted. I'm not sure who you would need to contact for a CRD.

Doesn't the 3.7 have the 42RLE trans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:43 am 
LOST Junkie

If I remember right we are not the only ones with 545 tranny problems, I think the Commanders and some others have been having the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

spoonplugger1 wrote:
If I remember right we are not the only ones with 545 tranny problems, I think the Commanders and some others have been having the same.

I posted that as a question on a stand alone topic and no one replied. Yes the filter issues were a transmission wide issue but I did a search and could find nothing similar to the current F-37 recall. If you think there are issues with the 2005-2006 CRD though you should see all the TSB's on the Grand Cherokee. Perhaps twice the number on the 2006 than on all the Liberty's.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

no-blue-screen wrote:
[

The 2002 and some early 2003 had the 45rfe...then DC decided to save some $$$ and inserted the 42rle

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

DarbyWalters wrote:
no-blue-screen wrote:
[

The 2002 and some early 2003 had the 45rfe...then DC decided to save some $$$ and inserted the 42rle

Hmmm didn't know that. The 545RFE is basically the same tranny but with a 5th gear...hence the 5 added to the beginning...where the 45RFE is only a 4-speed right? I think they first came out with this tranny in 99 and put it in the GC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:46 pm 
LOST Addict

The only reason I saw for changing the pump was possible trash contamination from damaged TC that were operated without proper amount of fluid.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:55 pm 
LOST Addict

I don't know what to think about the pump. There is definitely a redesigned pump, but redesign does necessarily mean the new one is better. It could have changed for manufacturing expediency or some other reason.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well Old Navy, I got both, but the flash has not taken in two attempts, I am stuck at the 23-06 flash
before f-31 and f-37, will see what star says on Monday again. Running very well at the moment. 8)

Tal & Hadas Grill Guard/TransGo Shift Kit
V-6 AirBox/Lunar Boost & EGT
Lund Cold Weather Grill Insert
OEM updated Filter Head, Cummins Lift Pump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Ripster wrote:
Well Old Navy, I got both, but the flash has not taken in two attempts, I am stuck at the 23-06 flash
before f-31 and f-37, will see what star says on Monday again. Running very well at the moment. 8)
Man what is it with all the failed flashes I keep hearing about? On the other hand you may be better off that the flash faild. Time will tell I guess.

Man so many numebers, isn't the 23-06 the same one used in F37?

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I saw that posted by someone once, but I don't know for sure, Star must not think so
as they are working with the dealership to get me flashed somehow. It took the -9 amd -23
but I did not go in for the F-31 when it came out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:03 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
Man so many numebers, isn't the 23-06 the same one used in F37?

I've been wondering about that. Sounded like 23-06, F31, & F37 were potentially the same (particularly the latter two), but don't see why that'd be. It'd be great if someone in a very unique position (RIPSTER :wink: :!: ) would evaluate any detectable performance difference between 23-06 & F37, in isolation from the mechanical fixes. Probably won't be another chance. Ripster...?

EDIT: Have we had anyone in a position similar to Ripster (F37 mech fixes done before flash, or vice-versa, w/driving experience between the two)? I don't recall any. This may be THE chance to get the best picture of F37's effects (aside from pre/post dyno runs or some definitive inside leak).

03/15/2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD w/86,000 mi. Engine lube pump, Provent, V6 airbox mod, Magnaflow, gauges, Amsoil all around, & Wix air filter. Sunroof drain blocked on receipt, stubborn fuel leak at 2200 mi, 3 jammed windows, & 1 bad alternator decoupler, but it's still a keeper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

If you had the 18-023-06 from 7/14 already flashed, then you didn't need the F31 recall. The F31 recall was for the two flashes that were put out in March of 06. I don't know too much about F37, but since there is no F37 showing up for me, I assume I have the latest flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

no-blue-screen wrote:
If you had the 18-023-06 from 7/14 already flashed, then you didn't need the F31 recall. The F31 recall was for the two flashes that were put out in March of 06. I don't know too much about F37, but since there is no F37 showing up for me, I assume I have the latest flash.

No Blue. F37 is for the Torque converter and a flash and possibly a transmission pump. I'm only guessing here but a small number of us 06 owners didn't get the F37 recall. It seems those vehicles with a transmission made after November 05 had the correct filters in the transmission. Later the the stock of incorrect filters that didn't have the check valve were reintroduced in vehicles made sometime after January 06 and some of those that had the service letter on filters done at the dealer. OldNavy says the same torque converters are used for the F37 recall. With the inproper filter with no check valve the fluid runs out of the tc when it is shut off causing it to start dry and trash it's self. Also they were not filled properly from the dealers and factory :shock: When was yours made? I'm guessing from Late November of 05 to at least the end of January 06 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

Joe Romas wrote:
no-blue-screen wrote:

No Blue. F37 is for the Torque converter and a flash and possibly a transmission pump. I'm only guessing here but a small number of us 06 owners didn't get the F37 recall. It seems those vehicles with a transmission made after November 05 had the correct filters in the transmission. Later the the stock of incorrect filters that didn't have the check valve were reintroduced in vehicles made sometime after January 06 and some of those that had the service letter on filters done at the dealer. OldNavy says the same torque converters are used for the F37 recall. With the inproper filter with no check valve the fluid runs out of the tc when it is shut off causing it to start dry and trash it's self. Also they were not filled properly from the dealers and factory :shock: When was yours made? I'm guessing from Late November of 05 to at least the end of January 06 :D

Maybe I was a little unclear. F31 was just for a flash...specifically vehicles that had the flash from march of 06. Those of us that had the 18-023-06 TSB flash from 7/14/06, didn't require the F31 recall because the aftermarket scanners were not an issue with that flash revision.

F37 is for the torque converter and it also says something about a flash, but I doubt it is a newer flash than the F31 or 18-023-06. Mine was built in Jan of 06 and I don't see the F37 on the jeep site for my VIN. If there was a newer flash, I would think they would put out another TSB for other vehicles that aren't part of the F37 recall so that they would be flahsed when "in for service". I could be wrong, but judging by everything I have read and experienced on the was DC does these things...I think it is a pretty safe bet to make the statement above. I mean heck, if they had a newer flash that could possibly save them $$$ on replacing anything, I am sure they would put out a TSB for the vehicles that fall outside of F37 so that they could save a little $$$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

[quote="no-blue-screen]

F37 is for the torque converter and it also says something about a flash, but I doubt it is a newer flash than the F31 or 18-023-06. Mine was built in Jan of 06 and I don't see the F37 on the jeep site for my VIN. If there was a newer flash, I would think they would put out another TSB for other vehicles that aren't part of the F37 recall so that they would be flahsed when "in for service". I could be wrong, but judging by everything I have read and experienced on the was DC does these things...I think it is a pretty safe bet to make the statement above. I mean heck, if they had a newer flash that could possibly save them $$$ on replacing anything, I am sure they would put out a TSB for the vehicles that fall outside of F37 so that they could save a little $$$.[/quote]

I think your right, from what I've read F31 is the same flash they use (if needed) with F37. But I'm not sure the March flash is the same as F31. Did you notice any difference on shifting or engine preformance after getting the flashes? I'm not sure where mine is as I bought it new in May. They did do the body flash when I had it in for a leak but I've not had time to mess with the F31. As I recall you had to ask for the TSB right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I will keep you posted, I have been watching shift points very close, and
have been driving the vehicle these past two weeks. The shifting from
1st to 2nd did improve with only the parts, no doubt about it. So the
only thing the F-37 can do is either change shift points, or completely
remove the shudder, I still think I have felt it a bit, maybe less, but I
don't think this has completely fixed our issue. I still believe a modified
torque converter is our best hope, with the correct adjusted software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:05 pm 
LOST Addict

no-blue-screen wrote:
Joe Romas wrote:
no-blue-screen wrote:

Maybe I was a little unclear. F31 was just for a flash...specifically vehicles that had the flash from march of 06. Those of us that had the 18-023-06 TSB flash from 7/14/06, didn't require the F31 recall because the aftermarket scanners were not an issue with that flash revision.

F37 is for the torque converter and it also says something about a flash, but I doubt it is a newer flash than the F31 or 18-023-06. Mine was built in Jan of 06 and I don't see the F37 on the jeep site for my VIN. If there was a newer flash, I would think they would put out another TSB for other vehicles that aren't part of the F37 recall so that they would be flahsed when "in for service". I could be wrong, but judging by everything I have read and experienced on the was DC does these things...I think it is a pretty safe bet to make the statement above. I mean heck, if they had a newer flash that could possibly save them $$$ on replacing anything, I am sure they would put out a TSB for the vehicles that fall outside of F37 so that they could save a little $$$.

Let me throw another software variable at you.

I had the F31 recall a month ago. At that time the TCM had to be replaced because it wouldn't take the reflash. STAR sent a new TCM with the F31 software pre-loaded, which also happened to include the software going in on the F37 recall. I could see a scenerio where STAR (who knows more than us about pending recalls) would know the F37 would soon be released, thus pre-loaded the software change so they wouldn't have so ship another new TCM (that would be #7 in my case) when the F37 download failed. So there is a chance that a typical F31 reflash might not have the latest software included.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RFCRD wrote:
[ So there is a chance that a typical F31 reflash might not have the latest software included.

So where would that put us 06 owners who's vehicles were built in late 05/early 06? I've not gotten the F31 yet.

RFCRD, On another note on your oil problem I owned a 96 passat tdi wagon that started using oil and it turned out to be the hocky puck on the valve cover. Part of the diagnoses was to measure how much oil ran out of the intercooler when the bottom hose was removed. A little=normal, a ounce or more too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:12 am 
LOST Junkie

Joe Romas wrote:
[quote="no-blue-screen]

I think your right, from what I've read F31 is the same flash they use (if needed) with F37. But I'm not sure the March flash is the same as F31. Did you notice any difference on shifting or engine preformance after getting the flashes? I'm not sure where mine is as I bought it new in May. They did do the body flash when I had it in for a leak but I've not had time to mess with the F31. As I recall you had to ask for the TSB right?[/quote]

No, the March flash is not the same as the F31, the March 06 flash is the one that caused the F31. Those that didn't have the TSB flash from 7/14 performed (18-023-06), required a reflash under the F31 recall....IF they had the flashes from March of 06.

My Build date is 01-06 and my purchase date was 08=06. My dealer did not perform the 7/14 TSB flash on my vehicle before I picked it up, but apparently they did perform the ones from March. Which made me subject to the recall. I did notice a change in shifting..namely the shift at 35mph was much much smoother. I don't have the shudder at 55-65 anymore unless I floor it and then let off abruptly...then it will shudder until I give it more pedal.

On asking for the TSB, the answer is yes and no. The TSB from 7/14 states that it "should be performed when vehicle is in for service". So technically, the dealer is supposed to do the flash regardless of whether you ask for it or not. In the real world however, they usually won't. In some cases they wouldn't even do it when the customer asked because they didn't complain of any symptoms. I suspect they did this for two reasons a) Because they adopt the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" b) because of all the problems with misflashing.