It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey oz_crd,where in kansas city is this diesel perf.shop,i only about 2 hrs away and like to check it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have never been to their store, I think they are up in Shawnee. The guys at Chux Trux in Olathe pointed me their way when I asked them about CCV filters for diesel. The name of the store is Pro Diesel, 913-432-2202. I called them a couple weeks back, they said they deal with Racor and could order them for me. Not sure if they keep any in stock. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

oldnavy wrote:
Man I wish we had someone in NJ who could drop by the Mid-Alantic store and do a check on fitting, just doing the check fitting with a tin can is not enough. Then of course I was saying the same to myself about the Provent filter. Everytime I go and look at the space in the CRD my first reaction is no way will this thing fit. Doesn't matter which one either, I was figuring to have to remote mount under the CRD when I first got the Libby.

Well the wife has finally gotten home, I guess I will go and do a look see again.

Where in NJ is it? I am in South Jersey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:21 pm 
LOST Addict

NJBill wrote:

Mid-Atlantic Engine Supply Corp. is located at Route 130 South and Pennsauken Street in Cinnaminson, New Jersey.

Tel: (800) 257-8133 or (856) 829-7798

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

oldnavy wrote:
NJBill wrote:

Mid-Atlantic Engine Supply Corp. is located at Route 130 South and Pennsauken Street in Cinnaminson, New Jersey.

Tel: (800) 257-8133 or (856) 829-7798

This is 20 minutes from my home. I'd be glad to help. Please explain what you need. I wasn't following this discussion closely. I could probably get there by weeks end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Take measurements, see if the inlet/outlet points can be rotated close together. If possiable take it and actually see if it might fit under the hood, but that's not as important as first two. Heck just open and see how well you think it's built.

The guy I talked with about the Mann Provent said to figure 12,000 to 15,000 miles per filter, ask these people how many miles the RACOR would last. Ask them anything else you might have a question about.

Thanks Bill you're a life saver.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:40 am 
LOST Newbie

I'll try to get there on Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:13 pm 
LOST Addict

OK, here's some measurements on the Provent.

While the total height is 9", if you leave off the tapered section and the drain connection at the bottom, you basically have a cylinder that is 7" high by 4" in diameter.

On mine, the bottom edge of the cylinder portion is sitting on top of the connector plugged into the computer module mounted on the inside fender well, and the bottom outlet port connection is resting on the A/C hard line portion of the A/C line that runs up over the air filter.

The drain connection at the bottom is actually in between some of the wiring harnesses that run to the above computer module. I had to rearrange some of them to make room for the drain connection and routing the 1/2" hose connected to it. to make the drain hose connection without kinking it, I had to use a 90 degree elbow butted up against the drain port with a small piece of hose just long enough to connect the two.

I tried placing the Provent such that the bottom outlet port was underneath the A/C hard line, and then using 90 degree fittings to get around the coolant tank. This only allowed it to drop down another 1", because while it now cleared the connector on the computer module, it was now resting on two vertical metal brackets which had two of the wiring harness connectors mounted to them, and the bottom of the Provent was pressing down on the wiring harnesses underneath it. Also, this placed the top inlet port too close to the coolant tank to be able to clear it even with the 90 degree connectors.

As it is, the top of my Provent is butting up against the hood insulation blanket. To be honest, with the Racor's dimensions, 9" high and 5.6" diameter, with that diameter carried thru for the full height, I don't think that it will fit in the same spot. It would require mounting it on the opposite side of the engine compartment and involve some significant plumbing. On top of that, even if it did fit in the same spot, you'd have to basically pull it out of the vehicle to access the drain fitting on the bottom.

The critical dimensions here for figuring out if it would fit would be - the distance between the computer module connector and the A/C hard line, and the distance between the back side of the boost controller and the metal brackets for the wiring harness connectors. If either of these are less than 5.6", you won't be able to drop the lower portion of the Racor down between them, and the filter will end up sitting too high to mount in that location. Even at that, the beast would probably be mashing down on the wiring harnesses underneath it.

It could be that the 5.6" diameter listed on their website is for the upper portion of the housing, and the bottom portion containing the filter is somewhat smaller. To find that out would require someone physically measuring one or calling up the dealer again.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:36 pm 
LOST Addict

From what you say then it, Provent & RACOR, probably really needs to be remote mounted somewhere else. I have looked under the hood and all require moving too much to get to where it would mount, and there are a couple large areas. When the wife gets home this evening I will crawl under and see where it might be able to be put and be safe and fairly easy to get at to service.

The plumbing of the hose to a lower point under the Jeep should be easier then where we have to put it under the hood and the actual cost may not be any more if no extra fittings are needed, even so it would be less then $10 more. Also probably less risk of messing anything up electronic/electrical under the hood.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

What about putting it in front of the radiator, behind the grill?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:00 pm 
LOST Addict

I'll look it over this afternoon when the wife gets home from work, unless she has other plans for me that I don't know about. :oops:

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I spoke with Marty at Mid-Atlantic Engine Supply Corp. He agreed to take one out to my CRD tomorrow at lunch. He said he has spoken to some people from this site already but is not optimistic about the Racor fitting. Stay tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Well I just inspected the underside of the Jeep, that's a no go. However after removing the grill (30 sec job) I think there is enough room to mount a Provent on the drivers side behind the grill. The bad news is it may be a little tough running a couple 3/4 inch hoses through and across. I'll have to check that this weekend unless someone else can before then. I think the RACOR is just not workable because of size, but I'll wait and see what NJBill finds out.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:11 pm 
LOST Addict

If you go with a Provent, where I've got mine mounted really isn't a problem. The unit is made out of plastic, and total weight with the filter element installed is very low, I'd estimate around 1 pound or so.

It's light enough that I opted not to fabricate a bracket, and just tystrapped it around the bracket for the boost controller. Between the tystraps and the stiffness of the nylabraid hose, I don't have any concerns about it resting on the computer connector and the A/C hard line. I can stick one finger under the lip of the lid and move it up and down.

The lid has an o-ring seal, and screws off quite easily. Filter changeout is a 30 second affair. Spare filter cartridge comes with a replacement o-ring for the lid. This, and the ability to attach a drain line and route it whereever you wish for easy access, makes this basically an install it and forget it affair, I won't have to remove it from the vehicle for normal servicing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:55 pm 
LOST Addict

I'll wait till NJBill reports back, but it looks like I will be going with the Provent myself.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:08 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

The Provent's looking better and better to me as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Forget the Racor 4500. The thing is huge. Marty at Mid-Atlantic was very helpful. He unwrapped the Racor and took it out in the parking lot to see if it would fit in the CRD engine bay. He spent some time looking over the bay and concluded that there is no way it will work. Frankly, I knew as soon as I saw him take it out of the box. The housing is big and bulky. Oh well, looks like Provent for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Well at least we tried, but looks like it is the Provent. I get it ordered here in a few minutes and have a project for when wife starts Christmas/New Years break. I should be able to get it installed durring that time period.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:48 am 
LOST Addict

Here's a parts list for the materials I used on my install. All of it was available at Home Depot in my area.

1 foot section of 1" ID nylabraid tubing.
6 ft roll of 3/4" ID nylabraid tubing.
6 ft roll of 1/2" ID clear PVC tubing for drain line.
1 nylon adapter, straight, 3/4" male pipe to 3/4" hose barb
1 nylon adapter, 90 degree elbow, 3/4" male pipe to 3/4" hose barb
4 nylon adapters, 90 degree elbow, 1/2" male pipe to 3/4" hose barb
1 nylon adapter, 90 degree elbow, 1/2" hose barb both ends
1 brass pipe elbow, 90 degree, 1/2" female pipe thread both ends
4 hose clamps for 1" ID tubing
8 hose clamps for 3/4" ID tubing
Assorted long and miniature tystraps
1 tube of pipe joint sealing compound
1 tube of silicone dielectric compound (spark plug boot grease,also known to those of us with prior naval experience as "boy butter" :oops: )
1 roll of shop towels
Various and assorted 4 letter words for use when wrestling with cold stiff nylabraid tubing! :?