It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

naturist wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:
If cetane increases mileage, why does my mileage drop when I add cetane boost additive (power service in the white bottle) to my tank??

Because, simply put, neither cetane nor cetane rating has anything whatever to do with mileage.

Strictly speaking, cetane rating is ONLY a measure of how quickly the fuel ignites after injection, and it will determine noise level and ease of starting. Period.

There is some speculation that increasing cetane will increase mileage as an indirect function of earlier ignition giving an effect somewhat like advancing the spark on a gasser. This is unsupported by the evidence, however. I would refer you to the simple fact that biodiesel, with cetane ratings above 50, has about 10% less energy available per gallon, which always delivers decreased mileage, not increased mileage on honest tests, some folks reports to the contrary not withstanding.

:roll:

Higher Cetane Number = easier starts, reduced smoke, less noise, fewer emissions and improved fuel economy.
Cetane is defined as a measure of the ignition quality of diesel fuel and is based on the ignition delay of an engine. A lower cetane number lengthens the engine delay and makes combustion more difficult

Higher cetane does NOT equal lower mpg. Period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Well this is all very odd then, because when I add cetane boost to my diesel fuel, my Jeep does not start as easily and my fuel mileage drops. On winter blend diesel I'm averaging about 20 mpg right now. If I put the cetane boost in with a tank my mileage drops 1 - 1.5 mpg. Also, there is more smoke, and on cold startup I get "hiccups". So I'm starting to wonder if the cetane boost is a good idea or not. I think I'll quit using it for a little while.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:49 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Which cetane boost have you been using LibertyCRD?

Post subject: Odd and Cetane
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

That is odd.

With PowerService added I have less smoke, less noise and overall smoother engine performance. My mpg is unchanged to 1 mpg better.
I include the 8 oz of additive in the computation of fuel into tank/miles driven.

I've been driving diesels for a long time and never experienced a decrease in mpg with the addition of a cetane improver.

However,
from ASTM- The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability."

This in some measure contradicts my experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Me neither, I don't think I have ever not used it over the years.

Now here is a real diesel, no turbo, and this photo was taken a few minutes after a 300 mile trip. 1

1983 MB 240D

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:15 am 
LOST Addict

Whether or not cetane rating by itself will give you better mileage, it has proven in my case to be a reliable indicator of which brands of fuel DO give me the best mileage. Higher cetane rating has equaled higher MPG. Whether it's due to the cetane rating itself, or just happy coincidence that the way they distilled the fuel gave it a high cetane rating along with the other qualities my diesel seems to love.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:46 am 
LOST Member

Okay, so let me get a little technical. The fuel mileage will be affected by the amount of BTU's in the fuel per gallon. One way to increase Cetane rating is to add higher molecular weight hydrocarbons to the fuel, higher molecular weight=higher BTU's=better mileage, to a point, if it is too high there will be incomplete combustion and that will decrease mileage. Most modern diesels can compensate for the different BTU levels in the fuel and maximize the fuel consumption, as I said to a point. Here is the other deal, higher molecular weight=higher gel point, so in the winter the blends have lower molecular weight fuel mixed with the higher to lower the gel point, this is why winter fuel gets worse mileage in general. There are other additives to change the gel point or to boost the Cetane number without adding hydrocarbons, these other additives may behave differenty and possibly opposite of changing the average molecular weight of the hydrocarbon mixture. In general refineries use hydrocarbons to adjust their fuel.

On Biodiesel, there are lots of different materials out there that can be used as Biodiesel, they all have different amounts of BTU's per gallon, some more that regular diesel, some less.

2005 CRD Limited 4x4 - Deep Beryl Green - Selec-Trac
Trac-Lok - Skid Plates - BFG Radial Long Trail TA's- Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic.

2007 GC CRD Limited. Silver.