It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stage 2 CRD turbo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:42 pm 
LOST Member

Just pulled my recently-leaking turbo. Evaluating options... all the "usual suspect" suppliers sound fine. However...

In a different thread I believe you mentioned that you are now rebuilding cores with ball-bearing spools at $550 w/core exchange; accurate?
A ball-bearing spun bolt-in replacement would be great!
Your rebuild seems to be a stand-out in the pack.
Current details & availability appreciated.
My core is clean w/no vane or housing damage: maybe 3mm play fore-aft, 1mm axial (side-to-side).
Very interested. Sent you a PM.
Bravo!

I'm also curious whether anyone has any feedback regarding:
- "Wicked" turbo from Dieselsite @ $895.
- Stigan @ $430

Presumably, "you get what you pay for" applies.
Cheers

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:12 am 
LOST Addict

i have seen the stigan mentioned. I may well be wrong nut IIRC it may have been sir sam . You could pm him or perhaps he will respond.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:40 pm 
LOST Member

Found; thanks.
Most effective info search strategy:
Instead of LJ's "search" function, at google, plug-in "CRD turbo lostjeeps", "turbo lostjeeps", "wicked turbo lostjeeps", etc.
Guides to helpful new/old discussions re turbos.

I'd love a replacement with a ball-bearing spindle; it isn't clear if diesel_guy's rebuilds utilize them. I'm waiting on a response/PM for clarification.
However, I need to order a replacement asap. Based on threads and personal experience/preference I'll probably order one from Seth at SasQ.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hi gypsy62,

I sent you an email but figured I'd post on here just in case.

The stock rebuilds are $550 assuming the shaft and vanes are good (most are, i have yet to find a bad set) This includes a new billet intake wheel, upgraded bearings, and everything cleaned.

The full upgrade runs $800, thats all new upgraded shaft, vanes, bearings and a larger intake wheel.

There are several running these turbos and they all comment about how much better their jeep runs.

The ball bearing versions are bearing completion, still some time until they are out. You could always send yours back in at a later date to be converted.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:49 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for both your private & public response (and accomodation). Although I'm confident that the vanes etc are all in reusable shape, given that the issue with my turbo is an internal oil leak it seems advisable to have you do a complete rebuild including the shaft upgrade.
Also, given that I explore remote Baja reliability is crucial; better to kill over than under.

Although it's unfortunate that your ball-bearing setup isn't finalized yet, I appreciate your suggestion that I could always do a future upgrade after you've nailed it. Real world, given that the turbo R&R is such great fun, as long as your current-release turbo is spinning strong I'm not sure I'd indulge the additional elective surgery.

Aside: CRD's were never sold new in Mexico. Consequently, not only are VM parts non-existent here, the 2.8 engine option doesn't even appear in parts stores' databases. Not MX Azone, NAPA... nowhere. Maybe that's the global norm: the same parts chain may use different data sets in different national markets.

Please email your shipping address and I'll send the core out on Monday.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Gypsy62 wrote:
Thanks for both your private & public response (and accomodation). Although I'm confident that the vanes etc are all in reusable shape, given that the issue with my turbo is an internal oil leak it seems advisable to have you do a complete rebuild including the shaft upgrade.
Also, given that I explore remote Baja reliability is crucial; better to kill over than under.

Although it's unfortunate that your ball-bearing setup isn't finalized yet, I appreciate your suggestion that I could always do a future upgrade after you've nailed it. Real world, given that the turbo R&R is such great fun, as long as your current-release turbo is spinning strong I'm not sure I'd indulge the additional elective surgery.

Aside: CRD's were never sold new in Mexico. Consequently, not only are VM parts non-existent here, the 2.8 engine option doesn't even appear in parts stores' databases. Not MX Azone, NAPA... nowhere. Maybe that's the global norm: the same parts chain may use different data sets in different national markets.

Thanks!
Any idea what the name of the manufacturer and model of the turbocharger that green diesel engineering sells? Also I'm wondering where the engine comes from what other vehicles the 2.8 was used in

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:19 am 
LOST Addict

Sweet jeep wrote:
Gypsy62 wrote:

Thanks!
Any idea what the name of the manufacturer and model of the turbocharger that green diesel engineering sells? Also I'm wondering where the engine comes from what other vehicles the 2.8 was used in

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

GARRETT