It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

boxhead wrote:
I was told today that would look at mine, but if it needed the pump they were on back order for 2 months.........................

Lets see ... this same transmission is used on the GC, Ram 1500 truck and Dodge Dakota pickups - on the GC and Dakota pickups, its been used going back as far as 1999 (GC) and iirc 2000 in the Dakota.

If a tranny pump goes out on any of those vehicles, is there a 2 month back order as well? We're talking over a million vehicles if you count from the first models using that tranny. Why so long?

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ranger1 wrote:
boxhead wrote:
I was told today that would look at mine, but if it needed the pump they were on back order for 2 months.........................

Lets see ... this same transmission is used on the GC, Ram 1500 truck and Dodge Dakota pickups - on the GC and Dakota pickups, its been used going back as far as 1999 (GC) and iirc 2000 in the Dakota.

If a tranny pump goes out on any of those vehicles, is there a 2 month back order as well? We're talking over a million vehicles if you count from the first models using that tranny. Why so long?

Maybe it's a different pump? Upgraded? Made to generate the right pressure at low RPM? Too much to hope for?

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Well the CRD tranny is doing the sometime quirky shifting and there is no codes and the it was shifting perfect this am at the dealer, so all I was able to accomplish was add a blerb in the complaint file.

Wife & I talked it over today and decided to just assume the wait and see attitude. Maybe all will work out in the end, it is just the ungodly loss of money that has me PO about this whole thing. Maybe it will work out as a tow vehicle for a motor home I am looking into buying.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 pm 
LOST Addict

greiswig wrote:
Maybe it's a different pump? Upgraded? Made to generate the right pressure at low RPM? Too much to hope for?

It's an entirely different pump (and front tranny plate w/ new style seal). It's also delivered to the dealer in a kit including the new cooler. My hunch is many dealers figured out the extra labor involved with having to redo an F37 when they find the pump leaks isn't worth the risk or cost of just replacing the pump the first time. As a result, DC underestimated the number of kits they needed.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

RFCRD wrote:
greiswig wrote:

It's an entirely different pump (and front tranny plate w/ new style seal). It's also delivered to the dealer in a kit including the new cooler. My hunch is many dealers figured out the extra labor involved with having to redo an F37 when they find the pump leaks isn't worth the risk or cost of just replacing the pump the first time. As a result, DC underestimated the number of kits they needed.

Just a point of clarification: The new pump is different from what? The previous CRD pump, the pumps in all the other vehicles Ranger1 mentioned, both, or what? And how do you know it's different? Do you know in what ways it is different? I'm hoping, as I said before, that it might be designed to put out more pressure at lower RPM's, so it is up to the task of keeping the torque converter happy. Then it might also be up to the task of keeping an aftermarket converter happy. Then it might be up to the task of keeping me happy.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:10 pm 
LOST Addict

greiswig wrote:
RFCRD wrote:
greiswig wrote:

Just a point of clarification: The new pump is different from what? The previous CRD pump, the pumps in all the other vehicles Ranger1 mentioned, both, or what? And how do you know it's different? Do you know in what ways it is different? I'm hoping, as I said before, that it might be designed to put out more pressure at lower RPM's, so it is up to the task of keeping the torque converter happy. Then it might also be up to the task of keeping an aftermarket converter happy. Then it might be up to the task of keeping me happy.

Dig around the forum, there are photos posted of the difference. The problem is the pump seals fail/leak causing it to bleed pressure resulting in marginal control of the TC lock-up clutch function. The new pump design has an entirely different seal design and also requires removal/replacement of the front tranny cover. The CRD tech also told he is having problems getting the new TC's to seat properly and seal to the old pumps. He already had to rework an F37 for this reason.

I can assure you there is a positive driveability difference on mine since the F37 was done and I doubt a software change got rid of the thumping & banging I was feeling while shifting. I know many are avoiding the F37 like it is the Plague. If it's done carefully and completely (pump included) I think most will be satisfied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Exactly how does the dealer determine whether or not to replace your pump when he is performing the F37?

Kubota B7200 Diesel 4x4
Polaris 700 and 500 H.O. 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:03 pm 
LOST Member

Mykol wrote:
Exactly how does the dealer determine whether or not to replace your pump when he is performing the F37?

I heard they do this sophisticated diagnostic using the highest technology available. ;-) If it SOUNDS like loose metal clanging they replace everything.

Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:37 am 
LOST Addict

New pump was introduced for MY '07, so they're having to supply the assembly line for '07 vehicles - all the models that use a 545RFE -, supply our CSN, and also supply for other DC vehicles with the same tranny that need to be serviced/rebuilt. You're talking hundreds of thousands of these trannys at least. It'd be little wonder that they were in short supply.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:06 am 
LOST Member

Most probably this recall is not limited to US only vehicles, and is rearing its ugly head on CRD's because of the torque monster that it is. I would stand to side with Retmil. But then again my jeep doesn't get it done to it.

K

Deer Killer Mod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:24 am 
LOST Addict

KenJennings wrote:
Mykol wrote:

I heard they do this sophisticated diagnostic using the highest technology available. ;-) If it SOUNDS like loose metal clanging they replace everything.

Most of the techs probably dont even know what the CRD is supposed to sound like. Let alone noticing a slight rattle over the diesel clatter.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject: Any Canadian F37's yet /
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Any Canadian recalls known- If so, what build date please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:54 am 
LOST Newbie

On the drive home last night after having the F37 done I noticed the higher RPM's at lower speeds, but when I hopped on the toll road and stepped on the accelerator it really did have quite a bit more pick up. Once at cruising speed, the RPM's settled back down to normal (1750 at 65 mph for mine). The only other difference I noticed was that the vehicle seems a little louder now. No pump for me. Just the TC and the reflashes.

2008 "Jeep Green" Liberty 4x2 with moon roof
(I traded my 2005 Liberty CRD after way too many problems!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:02 pm 
LOST Member

JeepGalPeg wrote:
On the drive home last night after having the F37 done I noticed the higher RPM's at lower speeds, but when I hopped on the toll road and stepped on the accelerator it really did have quite a bit more pick up. Once at cruising speed, the RPM's settled back down to normal (1750 at 65 mph for mine). The only other difference I noticed was that the vehicle seems a little louder now. No pump for me. Just the TC and the reflashes.

For me the big differnce is in the lower end, I am finding it rather slow to accelerate off a dead stop, and it does not have the passing power it used to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Danno wrote:
For me the big differnce is in the lower end, I am finding it rather slow to accelerate off a dead stop, and it does not have the passing power it used to.
Have you cleaned your Boost Sensor lately? If not go to CRD FAQ and it is the last posting with pictures.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:54 pm 
LOST Member

Havnt cleaned it yet, ill try tomorrow after work. The crd used to shift up about 2k rpm, right at its sweet spot. Now when you hammer it to get it going it doesnt shift until 3k. Can really hear the glass pack though at those rpms!

What did you use to clean it with?

Post subject: F37 report - very satisfied
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just got my CRD back today. It’s been at the dealer since the middle of December, due to the back ordered transmission pump. My torque converter was bad (slipping w/CEL on) so I also got a new pump, cooler/ AC condenser, filters, the works! I also had the ball joint recall done at the same time. I thought the pump kit would take much longer to come in with the holidays and I’d be driving around in a PT cruiser rental for two months, but got a surprise when the dealer called last night and said it was ready.

Anyway, I’m very happy to be back in my Liberty and am pleased with the results of F37. It drives like a new vehicle. Shifting is much smoother and there’s no more lurching going from drive to reverse. The converter locks up much faster now with no slipping. I haven’t really noticed any power loss. I always thought it had too much power, at least accelerating from a stop. Now after F37 there’s no lag and throttle response is seemingly more responsive and smooth and there’s still plenty of power in overdrive (50+ mph) on hills, at least with 2 passengers and a full tank of fuel.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been away from it for a month, but mine seems to run much quieter then I remember!

I wasn’t sure what to expert with all the horror stories, but I am much happier now with my Jeep. Guess I lucked out.

Chris J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Danno wrote:
Havnt cleaned it yet, ill try tomorrow after work. The crd used to shift up about 2k rpm, right at its sweet spot. Now when you hammer it to get it going it doesnt shift until 3k. Can really hear the glass pack though at those rpms!

If you have access to an air compressor, turn the pressure down and gently blow out the worst of the build-up. Should clean easy if you aren't sucking motor oil from your CAC. I used ether as a spray solvent, again blow drying with compressed air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:01 am 
LOST Addict

RFCRD wrote:
Danno wrote:

If you have access to an air compressor, turn the pressure down and gently blow out the worst of the build-up. Should clean easy if you aren't sucking motor oil from your CAC. I used ether as a spray solvent, again blow drying with compressed air.
I use a disk brake cleaner that evaps fast and canned air that I use on PC's & laptop. Makes a world of difference.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: Re: Any Canadian F37's yet /
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

impulse wrote:
Any Canadian recalls known- If so, what build date please.

I've had mine done (from Ontario), mines an 2006, not sure build date though, f37 recall, LBJ, and as of today I had a Transmission Filter recall done ( I didn't even know there was one out).. after my F37 recall been to dealership twice so far.. hopeing this time it runs better... after the F37 recall it was reving then slamming into gear..

2006 Liberty CRD Limited
Viper remote starter / alarm
Rocky Road 2.5" Lift
"Rubicon" 16" Wheels
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R - 245/75/16 -
EDGE Products CRD EZ Module

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next