It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well the van would be for my wife to drive. I would of course drive it as well. I think the 2.0 CRD would be the best option for a minivan to have decent power and good fuel economy. The specs I pulled off the net tell me the 2.0 CRD is rated at 141 HP and 229 ft lbs of torque. This should be more than adequate for the average soccer mom :-)

This engine appears to be sourced from VW and is used in the Caliber overseas. The numbers I found on the net convered to US MPG are 39mpg. I don't know how they arrive at these numbers but they state 6L/100km and nothing else. Even if that is highway, this would make for one very fuel efficient minivan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Marlon_JBT wrote:
oldnavy wrote:
such as used in the LX cars that are basically MB with cheap Dodge body.

I cannot stress enough how this IS NOT TRUE AT ALL. So it has a VERSION of a suspension used on a MB car. That does NOT DEFINE A PLATFORM.

OK, I'm done.
Lets see it has off shelf MB seats, Bosch electronic engine controls, MB Cruise Controls, (same one as on my MB) winshield wipers, the front suspenssion is copy of S Class and rear suspension and differential housing is steel instead of high dollar aluminum but it will interchange with an E class and that has already been done. The basic pan is almost an exact copy of the old 120" WB S class sedan, the tranny is built in the US under llicense from MB and when sitting in the box that it ships in has all the MB tags and part numbers. The 2.7L was basicly a clone or copied MB design of a Chain Driven DOHC V6 of the last decade. The only thing on my Magnum that is not German MB or MB designed is my radio (I install a Pioneer), transmission (I have the 42RFE instead of the MB W5A580) and the body. Hey to properly diagnose one needs to use the MB STAR system on the LX cars, but your correct that the platform or pan is not actually a MB (MB pan was used in some early concept models) it is based of the MB S class (W140 I believe) chassis.

Hey sorry if I busted your bubble, hope you are not a MB driver. :wink: Lot of old die hard MOPAR types bought these car and like to stroked out when they found out about the only thing US on and RT Magnum was the Hemi engine and then D/C even used the MB 4/8 cyclinder system for ecomony.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:15 pm 
LOST Addict

MrMopar64 wrote:
I'm not sure if Canada is allowed the Export engine option, but for Europe/UK, the 2.5L is available on MTX applications and the 2.8L available on ATX applications.

2.5L CRD + boost + 5-spd + minivan = fun. They also get amazing fuel economy.
It's been to long since I read the report, you are most likely correct it will be the 2.5L engine the Canadians get in the van if Chrysler follows through on their old plans, but who knows they might get the van the same way we got the CRD Liberty. Just an experiment. :x

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:45 pm 
LOST Addict

oldnavy wrote:
Marlon_JBT wrote:
oldnavy wrote:

I cannot stress enough how this IS NOT TRUE AT ALL. So it has a VERSION of a suspension used on a MB car. That does NOT DEFINE A PLATFORM.

OK, I'm done.
Lets see it has off shelf MB seats, Bosch electronic engine controls, MB Cruise Controls, (same one as on my MB) winshield wipers, the front suspenssion is copy of S Class and rear suspension and differential housing is steel instead of high dollar aluminum but it will interchange with an E class and that has already been done. The basic pan is almost an exact copy of the old 120" WB S class sedan, the tranny is built in the US under llicense from MB and when sitting in the box that it ships in has all the MB tags and part numbers. The 2.7L was basicly a clone or copied MB design of a Chain Driven DOHC V6 of the last decade. The only thing on my Magnum that is not German MB or MB designed is my radio (I install a Pioneer), transmission (I have the 42RFE instead of the MB W5A580) and the body. Hey to properly diagnose one needs to use the MB STAR system on the LX cars, but your correct that the platform or pan is not actually a MB (MB pan was used in some early concept models) it is based of the MB S class (W140 I believe) chassis.

Hey sorry if I busted your bubble, hope you are not a MB driver. :wink: Lot of old die hard MOPAR types bought these car and like to stroked out when they found out about the only thing US on and RT Magnum was the Hemi engine and then D/C even used the MB 4/8 cyclinder system for ecomony.

I don't know where you are getting ANY of this information.

The 2.7L has nothing to do with a Mercedes Engine. 100% Chrysler through and through. These engines are based on the 3.3L and 3.8L... one of those is in the Wrangler for 2007.

Platforms have absolutely nothing to do with a pan or suspensions. OK so they share a few parts, but it is NOT and nowhere NEAR a MB with a "Cheap Dodge Body".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:21 am 
LOST Addict

Marlon_JBT wrote:
oldnavy wrote:
Marlon_JBT wrote:
oldnavy wrote:

OK, I'm done.

I don't know where you are getting ANY of this information.

The 2.7L has nothing to do with a Mercedes Engine. 100% Chrysler through and through. These engines are based on the 3.3L and 3.8L... one of those is in the Wrangler for 2007.

Platforms have absolutely nothing to do with a pan or suspensions. OK so they share a few parts, but it is NOT and nowhere NEAR a MB with a "Cheap Dodge Body".
What ever you say dude. Just don't go to the LX forums and tell the guys that a car that they will laugh you off the forum. Yes that is the common thought about the 2.7L being based off the 3.5 but it will give those in the know a good giggle. If the copied MB parts were considered German made (they are US made clones) the LX cars would be about 85% German/MB, but who cares. I have owned & driven MB's and my Magnnum rides better then the shorter S class and as good as the 90's model W120, just a little more road noise. But I can tell you I drove a new E class wagon before I bought the Magnum and was really impressd, untill I drove the Magnum. The Magnum was just as quite, bigger, and was a lot sexier looking. Just go drive a new 300C, Magnum or Charger and then go test drive a E class MB, only someone with more money ($20,000 more) then sense would buy the MB.

Just so you know, the LX cars has caused MB a lot of hear burn because of all this parts sharing at D/C the last few years.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:46 am 
LOST Member

While you guys were fighting about the LX (I agree with Old Navy -- the car is an MB through and through except for motor & tranny & some interior bits -- the turn signal stalk is straight out of an MB!) I found the release info for the Grand Cherokee CRD with pricing. Sorry if this has been already posted.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01/23 ... at-38-475/

"Today at the Washington DC Auto Show, Chrysler finally announced the pricing and availability of the new Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD. Their first "full sized" diesel will go on sale in March and range from $38,475 for the 4x2 Limited model to $45,395 for the 4x4 Overland. Diesel powered Grand Cherokees have been available in Europe for many years but this is the first time you could buy one in the US market. Unlike the VM Motori engine previously offered in the Liberty, this 3.0L V-6 is built by Mercedes-Benz and is essentially the same engine used in a variety of Mercedes models.

The clean diesel is rated at 215hp and 376 lb-ft of torque, while getting 20/25 mpg city/highway for the two-wheel drive models. The four-wheel drive versions lose one mpg on the highway. The strong low end twist of the diesel allows for a towing capacity of 7,400 lbs while the a full tank can stretch for 450 miles. Like the Cummins diesel powered Ram pickups, the Grand Cherokee will leave the assembly plant filled with a B5 biodiesel blend. The Chrysler press release is after the jump."

"Chrysler Group Announces Pricing for the New 2007 Jeep® Grand Cherokee CRD

* Full-size, diesel-powered sport-utility vehicle for under $39,000
* Up to 30 percent improvement in fuel economy and 20 percent fewer carbon dioxide emissions
* Class-leading torque and driving range (450 miles); outstanding towing

Washington, D.C., Jan 23, 2007 - Chrysler Group announced today at the Washington Auto Show pricing for its first diesel-powered, full-size sport-utility vehicle (SUV) to be offered in the United States. The 2007 Jeep® Grand Cherokee with a 3.0-liter common rail turbo diesel (CRD) engine will begin to arrive at Jeep dealerships in March.

The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD will begin at $38,475, including $695 destination. The 3.0-liter V-6 CRD engine will be available on the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland 4x2 and 4x4 models.

"The Chrysler Group is leading the way to bring the advantages of diesel to various U.S. vehicle segments," said Tom LaSorda, President and CEO, Chrysler Group. "Chrysler Group will continue to build upon our diesel leadership in the years to come. We believe that clean diesel technology can and should be a part of the national energy solution. It's crucial that our country's policymakers set regulations that encourage a diversity of approaches to reducing our dependence on oil."

The new 3.0-liter V-6 CRD engine, built by Mercedes-Benz, produces 215 hp (160 kW) @ 3,800 rpm and 376 lb.-ft. torque (510 N•m) @ 1,600-2,800 rpm and gets an estimated fuel economy of 20 miles city and 25 miles highway for 4x2 models and 20 miles city and 24 miles highway for 4x4 models. Most recently, the engine earned a spot on "Ward's 10 Best Engines" list."

"The 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD offers class-leading torque, outstanding towing capacity (7,400 pounds), and class-leading driving range of approximately 450 miles. Clean diesel technology also improves fuel economy by up to 30 percent and has up to 20 percent fewer carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
With an MSRP of $38,475 for 4x2 models and $41,715 for 4x4 models (including destination) the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD includes Sirius Satellite Radio, Quadra-Drive II®*, five-speed automatic transmission, 17-inch aluminum wheels, memory system (seats, mirrors, pedals, etc.), air conditioning with dual-zone automatic temperature control, rain sensitive windshield wipers, premium leather seats, SmartBeam headlamps, tire pressure monitor, engine block heater, and AM/FM/six-disc CD/MP3 radio. (*4x4 models only)

Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland CRD
With an MSRP of $41,960 for 4x2 models and $45,395 for 4x4 models (including destination) the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland CRD includes a five-speed automatic transmission, Quadra-Drive II*, 17-inch chrome clad wheels, ParkView rear back-up camera, ParkSense® rear back-up system, skid plates*, trailer tow package, tow hooks*, engine block heater, Sirius Satellite Radio, DVD-based AM/FM/six-disc CD/MP3 navigation radio and UConnect® hands-free communication system. (*4x4 models only)

"The Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel will offer excellent performance, increased fuel economy, class-leading torque, towing and a driving range of 450 miles – the equivalent of driving from Washington D.C. to Boston," said Craig Love, Vice President--Rear-Wheel-Drive Product Team, Chrysler Group. "Unlike past experiences Americans may have had with diesel engines 20 years ago, the 3.0-liter CRD available on the Jeep Grand Cherokee is engineered to be a smooth-running, quiet, clean engine. Consumers may forget that they are driving a diesel vehicle."

The Jeep brand also announced last year that the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee would have a flex-fuel capable 4.7-liter SOHC V-8 engine, which gives customers the ability to use a fuel with an 85 percent concentration of ethanol (E85) in their vehicles. Flex-fuel vehicles support renewable sources of fuel and reduce emissions. The 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee continues Chrysler Group's commitment to alternative fuels and technology.

More than 60 percent of the Chrysler Group vehicles sold in Western Europe are diesel powered. Between 2003 and 2007, the Chrysler Group will triple the number of diesel offerings outside North America. Of the estimated 20 vehicles available, 12 or more will have the option for a diesel powertrain (up from four in 2003).

The Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD will be manufactured at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit. The Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD will be fueled with B5 (5 percent) biodiesel at the assembly plant to help increase the awareness of biodiesel. The 3.0-liter V-6 CRD engine is built at the Mercedes-Benz Berlin Marienfelde Plant in Berlin, Germany."

My take:

- There should be a Laredo 4x4 CRD. The availability on the high end model only(vs the KJ) is just dumb especially if the diesel package is a $2k option.

- It will be interesting to see how the reliability of that MB diesel V6 shakes out, especially since it is a relatively clean-sheet design.

And: 1995 Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, Silver, Selec-Trac, custom free-flow exhaust by local shop.

Me: 1998 Subaru Outback AWD, 2.5 DOHC, 5-speed manual. Nearly 170k miles & runs awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:27 pm 
LOST Addict

The 20/25 is not what the window stickers are saying and was reported in an actual D/C article back about Nov. I think it was 20/23 city, 26 to 28 highway and 25 mpg combined 50/50 city/highway average and that was a 4x4 model. However people in Europe have reported as high 30/32 mpg on the 4x4 versions, when driven 60/65 mph range.

Like my friend who is complaining about his new Ford Focus with automatic tranny only getting 26 mpg highway which is what he says his Toyota Avalon gets, but when I asked if he was driving it as fast as his big A (75+) he says yes and what difference does that make. Man the little Focus must be running 3500+ rpm to run 75 to 80 mph on the highway. When I try to expail to him why he can't expect 30+ mpg on the highway driving like that his only reply is, it a little car and weighs half what his Avalon and should get better mpg's. He can't connect the dots for some reason, I don't figure the car will last him more then 2 years before he blows and engine or tanny or just get tired of the rollerskate.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: Expensive.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

That diesel Grand Cherokee sounds very nice but it is way overpriced for us to consider. I agree that they need to offer it in the base GC. I would never buy all of those unneeded (to me anyways) options just to get a diesel engine. I didn't do it with the Liberty CRD and I wouldn't do it for a GC. Looks outta my league at this juncture.

John.

Post subject: Re: Expensive.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Reg#43897 wrote:
That diesel Grand Cherokee sounds very nice but it is way overpriced for us to consider. I agree that they need to offer it in the base GC. I would never buy all of those unneeded (to me anyways) options just to get a diesel engine. I didn't do it with the Liberty CRD and I wouldn't do it for a GC. Looks outta my league at this juncture.

John.
But look at all those here that wanted the Limited and bought the Limited over the Sport. Hey if it is quite and with enough power and gets 26 mpg vs the 18 mpg they get now they will sell like hotcakes.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:35 pm 
LOST Addict

They need to put that diesel in the base model wrangler....or better yet the gladiator...they wouldnt be able to make them fast enough.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

Reg#43897 wrote:

John.

My thoughts exactly! While some may be interested in the high end model, I think they would sell a lot more units if they also offered it on the Laredo trim.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:03 pm 
LOST Member

no-blue-screen wrote:
Reg#43897 wrote:
My thoughts exactly! While some may be interested in the high end model, I think they would sell a lot more units if they also offered it on the Laredo trim.
It's a plot. A few months of dismal sales after release the management will turn around and say, "See, Americans don't want diesels." Some executive then gets a bonus for the estimated savings for cutting the diesel option from the lineup.

Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html