It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Ranger1 wrote:
Quote:
Neither of those torque numbers show a 40+ gain...unless they are measuring at the rear wheels on a dyno or something...but I don't think that is the case since the hp gains are on par.

You got me interested. I bought the magazine. All the ratings with the modules were rear wheel on a dyno. The stock CRD on the same dyno was 159hp rear wheel (154hp + 5hp increase from the free flow muffler) and the stock torque was 259 lb-ft. Based on the only other dyno tests I've seen the rear wheel torque of the CRD without a free flow muffler was 252 iirc, so the muffler added about 6 ft-lbs.

The DP was faster timewise in the quarter mile than the Predator but the Predator gives very slighty higher increases in hp/tq.

So the numbers were:

Stock hp Stock torque Comments
159 268 torque falls off quickly after 2000 rpm
1/4 mile stats 18.8 seconds at 73.1 mph

DP hp DP torque Comments
183.3 306.6 torque/hp starts faster on curve, flattens curve out and lasts longer before drop-off
0-60 mph times reduced by 3 seconds TUV certified
50-70 passing reduced by 2 seconds Setting D (settings range from 0 to F)

1/4 mile 16.9 seconds at 81.6 mph

Predator hp Predator torque Comments
183.9 310.1 ft-lbs no setting adjustment
0-60 mph time reduced by 3 seconds
50-70 passing times reduced by 2 seconds
1/4 mile 17.1 seconds at 82.3 mph

Mileage gain with both chips 10% or 1 mpg towing nearly 5000 lbs.

The high numbers of HP and Torque mean nothing if the high numbers only last for a short period in the RPM range. What you look for is a high torque curve which is high for a broad range in RPM. This will lower you ET in the 1/4 mile 0-60 etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:05 am 
LOST Member

Most of the power adders for the Libby are pressure boxes. That's a nice way to add fuel, but I have some concern about this method to add fuel. It does increase atomization and effeciency, but these elecromechical injectors are pushed hard in stock form. I worry about the injectors with more pressure. So that leaves timing and duration. Advancing timing can add a little power and greatly improves effeciency because stock modern diesels have such retarded timing for emissions. Duration is where you get power but of course that makes heat. BD makes a box that does timing and duration that is designed to bring the power back up to pre-F31/37 levels. What I'd like to see is something from TST. This is Mark Chapple's outfit. He is a former Cummins engineer and knows his stuff. His products are well known in the Dodge world and can make massive power. The Libby can probably handle up to 50 hp without problems. I think it is crazy to do any power mods without gauges but to each his own.

'01 Dodge/Cummins - Work truck; Lots of mods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:26 am 
LOST Newbie

TUV is the Technischer Überwachungs-Verein. Wikipedia gives a good explanation. Nothing like it here in the US in terms of depth of engineering detail they employ to evaluate a product. Practically speaking, nothing can be modified on a car for on road activity in Germany that doesn't have TUV approval.

2005 CRD Limited, ARB bumper, Frankenlift II, ORM, Aero Turbine 2525, Suncoast+TransGo, InMotion ECU reflash, RockLizard, Cragar Soft 8's, Green Diamond Icelander A/T 265/70/17's, Gibson snorkel, fording extensions on diffs n transmission.