It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ULSD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:15 am 
LOST Member

Is it me or does the new ULSD deisel fuel have a different smell out of the exhaust pipe? It smells like tar, or something, not like the old desiel smell. :(

Born on 5-20-2006 @ 7:20pm
Jeep Green, Oil drain valve
Tow Package, Transmission skid plate
EHM2, ORM,
Current mileage 79,000.
Past Jeeps: 63 CJ5,
1994, 1995, 2000 Cherokee,
1995, 1997, 2003 Wrangler

Post subject: Re: ULSD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:51 am 
LOST Addict

kb61751 wrote:
Is it me or does the new ULSD deisel fuel have a different smell out of the exhaust pipe? It smells like tar, or something, not like the old desiel smell. :(
What most have said on the TDI forum that mention it is that there is no burning sulfur smell or it smells like gasser exhuast.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Coming back from Charleston S.C. tonight, I stopped at a new FlyingJ truck stop just south of Rock Hill, S.C. When I fueled up, I noticed immediately that the old familar sulfur odor was missing - it smelled more like turpentine or mineral spirits than D2. As soon as I pulled back onto the Interstate, I noticed the CRD was really Quiet!! Man it purrs on this stuff. Really nice. Must be the newer ULSD stocks building up. It was only $2.50 a gallon to boot.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:48 am 
LOST Addict

Ranger1 wrote:
Coming back from Charleston S.C. tonight, I stopped at a new FlyingJ truck stop just south of Rock Hill, S.C. When I fueled up, I noticed immediately that the old familar sulfur odor was missing - it smelled more like turpentine or mineral spirits than D2. As soon as I pulled back onto the Interstate, I noticed the CRD was really Quiet!! Man it purrs on this stuff. Really nice. Must be the newer ULSD stocks building up. It was only $2.50 a gallon to boot.
What reduces the engine noise down is the 46 cetane or better fuel that you are now running. You will may also notice an increase in the MPG's that your rig usually gets. Now if you really want a quite diesel mix that ULSD with about 10% biodiesel, it will be as quite as most gassers.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: ULSD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:44 am 
LOST Member

Found a lot of info on this site. From what I gather, they are not required to have 15ppm at retail stations until 2010??? See what you think.

http://www.clean-diesel.org/index.htm

Flame Red 2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4.0L, 6sp, dual tops, Amsoil ASL 5W30 engine oil and EAO42 filter, IPF 920hc head light conversion with PIAA Xtreme White plus bulbs, Sylvania Silverstar H3ST fogs, Armadillo front/rear bumper caps and pretty much loaded.A few pics of my rig. http://www.gwkweather.net/id5.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:04 pm 
LOST Addict

jeep06 wrote:
Found a lot of info on this site. From what I gather, they are not required to have 15ppm at retail stations until 2010??? See what you think.

http://www.clean-diesel.org/index.htm
If you read the actual EPA rulling it say 80% of all fuel will be ULSD as of the cut of date in Oct, the other 20% is about stationary, marine, and RR diesels and their conversion or the the advent of natural disaster that would make it impossible to make the required fuel. For the average OTR trucker, diesel car or PU truck driver is concerned it will be harder to find LSD after the first of the year then ULSD fuel here in the US when you are traveling.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:09 pm 
LOST Member

I still haven't seen ULSD here. They don't have much more time to get it to the retail stations right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:29 pm 
LOST Addict

kb61751 wrote:

And someone used to the smell of high sulfur diesel would tell you that LSD smells "fake" too. :D :D

Bring on the ULSD. I can't wait...

Post subject: diesel smell
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:04 pm 
LOST Member

I still think the B99 has the best smell of all, even my girl friend noticed it and she cares as much about diesels as I do about doing laundry....haha. Hope they get the ULSD here soon too.....they finally dropped rot gut down to $2.79,,,,,,,,,,,,,wooo hoooooo and regular gas is $2.36......@$*$#@!!

Flame Red 2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4.0L, 6sp, dual tops, Amsoil ASL 5W30 engine oil and EAO42 filter, IPF 920hc head light conversion with PIAA Xtreme White plus bulbs, Sylvania Silverstar H3ST fogs, Armadillo front/rear bumper caps and pretty much loaded.A few pics of my rig. http://www.gwkweather.net/id5.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Bovie wrote:
I still haven't seen ULSD here. They don't have much more time to get it to the retail stations right?

Uh, guys, the signs aren't out yet, but the product is in your tank already.

They don't have to certify it as only 10 ppm sulfur yet, and the fact they haven't done that is all that stands between you and the ULSD sign. All they've been transporting since, oh, June or so, has been ULSD.

Think about it, now, you got a 15,000 gallon tank at the station full of 500 ppm LSD, you drain it down to the normal 1,000 gallons left then fill it with 8 ppm ULSD, whattaya got in there? I did the math, and it's 40.8 ppm, still 4 times what you need to meet the new standard. Do that same thing again, and you wind up with 10.2, just above the limit. Fact is, it takes at least 3, and probably a half-dozen cycles on the tank at your local fuel store to get the supply there low enough to certify. THAT's why the sign isn't in place, yet, but it will be, soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have notice better mileage, not allot but better. Many I have talked to have not seen any improvement but a loss of about 2 mpg. Yes this new ULSD is 46 or more cetane higher but you get less BTU from it. Just like E85 or oxygenated fuel, high octane but less mpg. One reason I have gotten better is my supplier is said to have added Bio to the mix for lubrication. It is also clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml#A2 More good info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:24 am 
LOST Addict

All the refiners state as much as a 1% drop in MPG's in the diesels, that is not much of a cost of operation increase unless you are driving 100,000 miles or more a year. That is about $10 increase if you spend a $1000 a month in fuel, so for the wife's CRD we are talking about a $1.00 per month or less. For that small amount I will gladly help make our air better.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:33 am 
LOST Addict

naturist wrote:
Bovie wrote:

Uh, guys, the signs aren't out yet, but the product is in your tank already.

They don't have to certify it as only 10 ppm sulfur yet, and the fact they haven't done that is all that stands between you and the ULSD sign. All they've been transporting since, oh, June or so, has been ULSD.

Think about it, now, you got a 15,000 gallon tank at the station full of 500 ppm LSD, you drain it down to the normal 1,000 gallons left then fill it with 8 ppm ULSD, whattaya got in there? I did the math, and it's 40.8 ppm, still 4 times what you need to meet the new standard. Do that same thing again, and you wind up with 10.2, just above the limit. Fact is, it takes at least 3, and probably a half-dozen cycles on the tank at your local fuel store to get the supply there low enough to certify. THAT's why the sign isn't in place, yet, but it will be, soon.

The standard is 15PPM, not 10PPM, but anyways, I'm pretty convinced that I haven't used a bit of ULSD yet. Also, take a look at the link posted above. ULSD just started coming from the Terminals to Gas Stations, which is what really matters. In other words... around October 1, I'll expect to see some / use some ULSD... right now is just a bit too soon.

That, and I'm producing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much soot. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:54 am 
LOST Junkie

I filled up yesterday at my local station which is a big fuel depot with a little kiosk in the middle. The regional rep for the oil company was there for some reason and came over to talk to me as he saw me at the pump and never had seen a CRD before. We talked a few minutes and he said that the oil companies expected an increase in diesel cars now that the law made them change to "dame's diesel"

I asked him what he was talking about and he said that the new ulsd (which they are now filling the underground tanks with, but can't certify until a certain number of fills/emptys cycles are made) is so low in odor that it is expected that the major objection of some to diesel, the odor, will now be gone. So, they are calling it "dame's diesel" as they expect that women will not now object to the odor and let their husbands get a diesel car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:56 am 
LOST Addict

Marlon_JBT wrote:
The standard is 15PPM, not 10PPM, but anyways, I'm pretty convinced that I haven't used a bit of ULSD yet. Also, take a look at the link posted above. ULSD just started coming from the Terminals to Gas Stations, which is what really matters. In other words... around October 1, I'll expect to see some / use some ULSD... right now is just a bit too soon.

That, and I'm producing wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much soot. ;)
Some retailers have stated they are already doing the switch as far back a 2 months ago. BP has stated it was already making the switch a couple of months ago and that they started with their stations located along the interstate that are major fueling centers, Cheveron/Texaco has also been delivering ULSD to their stations already. So there is already stations that could be down to 50 PPM or lower already. Some of the smaller retailers can, if they want, delay the switch to ULSD depending on their cliential needs till the final deadline. I have been wondering if MFA (small wholesaler/retailer) that I buy my B2, or sometimes their B10 if I am near one of the centers selling the stuff, will make the change early on or be way at the end. They are mainly into farm fueling and delivery, but have been increasing non frarm sales for the last 4 or 5 years. So I am watching a near-by BP trucking center on the main route between St Louis and Little Rock, however it is not interstate so may not be recieving the ULSD as soon as the BP on the near by I 55 route between St Louis and Memphis.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:59 am 
LOST Member

I think I've been using some ULSD for about a month now. I'm noticing much less smoke under heavy acceleration, a different smell, and maybe a little less foaming when I fill up.

I haven't noticed any mileage change. My mileage will start dopping as the temperature drops here so I won't really be able to determine the effect of using ULSD on my mileage until probably next summer.

Fumoto Oil Drain Valves (Oil Pan & Transfer Case)
V6 Airbox Mod
New Driveshaft, New EGR
2003 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, Bright Blue
2007 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 Door, Red Rock Crystal Pearl WOW!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Oldnavy,

Where on I-55 did you find ULSD? I am in blytheville right now on buisness, and will soon be traveling back across country to New jersey. And also, where around here have you seen a station with Bio-D? been wanting to try 100% for awhile. Kinda want to see if i can get my libby to smell like fries!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:47 am 
LOST Addict

I think some of the biodiesel suppliers around here are already using something approaching ULSD for their blends. Last time I topped it up, ran a lot quieter. In addition, I've been using it for odd and short trips on the weekends, driving the MB to work. This past Sunday, after taking nearly a month to drive it down to somewhere above 1/2 tank, I decided to top it off again. 275 miles on the trip odometer, 10 gallons even to fill up! :shock:

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:02 am 
LOST Addict

o1dscratch wrote:
Oldnavy,

Where on I-55 did you find ULSD? I am in blytheville right now on buisness, and will soon be traveling back across country to New jersey. And also, where around here have you seen a station with Bio-D? been wanting to try 100% for awhile. Kinda want to see if i can get my libby to smell like fries!
The BP I was talking about is at Boomland just a few miles north of Sikeston, but I have not been there to see if they have the ULSD as yet. It was just that BP said they will do major fuel centers on the interstates first. However if you want the 50 cetane B10 from MFA, take the US 60 west exit at Sikeston (like going to Poplar Bluff or Springfield) and and go about 1.5 to 2 miles west and take the exit ( it has a big overpass for 60/61, at bottom of the off ramp turn left and go 11 miles south and there will be a MFA station at an intersection on the right. The sign may say Kawanee, just can't remember for sure.

You could take the US 61 North exit off of I-55 about 15 (?) miles south of Sikeston, if there is one, and would save you a lot of extra driving.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine