It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Serious but brief misfire?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

An in-line installed back at the tank is a good choice, with prime advantage of no requirement to drop the tank for replacement - absolutely must be flo-thru-when-failed to allow the powerful CP3 internal lift pump to get you home

OEM-style Carter in-tank usually runs ~$80-$140 on eBay, but also requires no repeated lo-fuel operation, as Diesel fuel is the coolant and lubricant

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:27 am 
LOST Member

ns_buck wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. I like the idea of air separation and I think the Cummins/Carter pump is a little overkill for the application. I might go back to an inline. 4-7psi seemed to work just fine and even when the cheap p.o.s. died it it didn't cause a restriction due to its flow-thru design. The dumb thing is it didn't die... Had the wires pulled too tight and they broke where they enter the pump. :banghead: How much does a Cummins/Carter setup run??

LOL... you know, that 'cheap pos' flow through 'clicker' type pump made by Facet.. is probably the highest quality pump out there! This company was built up in WWII for exclusively building fuel pumps for the fledgling aircraft industry.
It's main benefit is when the wires do get pulled out of its body... it'll still flow. All there is inside is a lateral moving hollow armature, with one way flap valve at each end.
The caveat to this pump is... crud. it'll stop that clicker in its tracks. But in reality, what pump isn't prone to dirt? Sometimes whacking it will jar it loose. And putting a screen on the suction side of any diesel system (other than under the hood) is problematic as well. (wintertime anyways) That is why our oem filters have the heating element.
Btw, FMI, does the stock lib fuel draw module have a sock type filter in the tank? If it does, that probably would be enough to protect the clicker pump.
The few old tractors I run with the Facets have a small 120 micron metal canister screen just ahead of those pumps, which eliminated the contamination problems

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Lol... It was cheap...and it worked great until the wires broke out of it...which was my fault. I will buy another and go for round 2. Maybe I ll take the old one apart and try to fix it first...lmao. I'm cheap like that. Solder some new wires in and away we go! Not sure what micron size the little metal filter was but 120 sounds about right. Loved that little pump. Cheap, easy to install, and reliable!

06 KJ Sport CRD, 133k mi, GDE FT Eco Tune, GDE Trans Tow Tune, Euro Convertor, EHM, Sasquatch FCV Delete, Straight Piped, Updated Filter Head, Samco's, and a dead hyundai. Bought it 04/2009 w/40k miles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rancherman wrote:
LOL... you know, that 'cheap pos' flow through 'clicker' type pump made by Facet.. is probably the highest quality pump out there! This company was built up in WWII for exclusively building fuel pumps for the fledgling aircraft industry.
It's main benefit is when the wires do get pulled out of its body... it'll still flow. All there is inside is a lateral moving hollow armature, with one way flap valve at each end.
The caveat to this pump is... crud. it'll stop that clicker in its tracks. But in reality, what pump isn't prone to dirt? Sometimes whacking it will jar it loose. And putting a screen on the suction side of any diesel system (other than under the hood) is problematic as well. (wintertime anyways) That is why our oem filters have the heating element.
Btw, FMI, does the stock lib fuel draw module have a sock type filter in the tank? If it does, that probably would be enough to protect the clicker pump.
The few old tractors I run with the Facets have a small 120 micron metal canister screen just ahead of those pumps, which eliminated the contamination problems

That Facet description also fits the oem GM in-line lift pump used for the 6.5L Diesel engine, butcept it's in a round stainless steel case very similar to the in-line filters used thruout their vehicle lineup, in addition to the in-tank sock-type filter

The oem KJ pickup-module plastic accumulator\reservoir cup has a very coarse gravel-blocker screen, but no sock-type like GM because the lift pump is on the CP3 injection pump, t'other side of the 3ucron filter on the firewall in the engine bay

Thus, the requirement to mount a pre-filter when installing an in-line lift pump mounted near the tank

The Cummins\Carter in-tank pickup module accumulator\reservoir cup does have increased in-tank filtration because the lift pump is in the tank - IIRC, it is self-cleaning by using some of the return-fuel

A primary advantage of the in-tank lift-pump is in winter temps: the plastic fuel tank and pipes are insulative - takes lower ambient temps to freeze the fuel than when tanks and piping are metal

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go