It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another reason for EGR failure
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:16 pm 
LOST Member

Got my 4th EGR valve installed today at 26,271 miles. On the invoice is a note stating "Noticed during exhaust inspection that vehicle has had a high flow exhaust pipe in place of muffler. Rec. replacing with factory unit because the EGR system is calibrated for a certain backpressure and a highflow exhaust reduces backpressure and may cause problems with EGR flow" :?

Is it me or is this total BS? I have had 4 EGR related problems. 2 with the stock and 2 with the Glass Pack.

LOST #-169388
'79 CJ-5
32x11.50x15
304 V8

'08 Chevorlet HHR
Victory Red
Stock for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
ec. replacing with factory unit because the EGR system is calibrated for a certain backpressure and a highflow exhaust reduces backpressure and may cause problems with EGR flow"

Man, what a load of baloney. Tired of losing money on warranty work, they feel the need to sell you a factory muffler to make up for it. Think about that dealers statement - if a high flow muffler reduces backpressure, LESS exhaust gas will flow through the EGR valve, less soot on the valve and it should last longer. No matter that the AFC valve will choke off fresh air until a certain amount of exhaust gas is pulled into the intake, but with less backpressure on the exhaust side, there will be somewhat less exhaust gas available to be pulled into the intake system. They are pulling this nonsense out of thin air. Then there's the little detail of why you lost 2 EGR's with the "right" backpressure muffler installed. What was his explanation for that fact? I lost my first EGR with the factory muffler, the 2nd with the dangerously low backpressure, high flow renegade Aeroturbine on it. Yes, using logic and common sense, I conjur up that it was the low flow muffler causing the problem.

This is right up there with "your back brakes moan because rust forms on the rotors during the nightime damp air." Of course, rust should form on the front rotors as well on 02 Liberty's, as they have drum rear brakes, but for some reason, the 02's don't moan because the rust fails to cooperate with the dealers logic. You just can't trust rust to do the right thing.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Last edited by Ranger1 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Another reason for EGR failure
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:55 pm 
LOST Addict

KJMedic wrote:
Got my 4th EGR valve installed today at 26,271 miles. On the invoice is a note stating "Noticed during exhaust inspection that vehicle has had a high flow exhaust pipe in place of muffler. Rec. replacing with factory unit because the EGR system is calibrated for a certain backpressure and a highflow exhaust reduces backpressure and may cause problems with EGR flow" :?

Is it me or is this total BS? I have had 4 EGR related problems. 2 with the stock and 2 with the Glass Pack.

As if the individual writing that statement is qualified to make this judgement. I would want to see the engineering study where Jeep calibrated this system based on a specific flow rate and backpressure. It is unlikely that the 2" constriction at both ends of the factory muffler it there by design just for the CRD.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Speaking of muffler calibration, as if by magic, the CRD muffler is also perfectly calibrated for the V6 gasolene engine. It's amazing how these things just work out so conveniently. It must be calibrated for both engines - its the same muffler! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you just put the OEM Muffler Bearings back in the after market muffler that would probably make them happy. You might ask them if that would be OK. :roll: :roll:

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:05 am 
LOST Addict

Ranger1 wrote:
Speaking of muffler calibration, as if by magic, the CRD muffler is also perfectly calibrated for the V6 gasolene engine. It's amazing how these things just work out so conveniently. It must be calibrated for both engines - its the same muffler! :-)

Actually, it must be calibrated for THREE engines, they also used the same muffler on the 4 bangers!! :shock: :roll:

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:13 am 
LOST Addict

retmil46 wrote:
Ranger1 wrote:

Actually, it must be calibrated for THREE engines, they also used the same muffler on the 4 bangers!! :shock: :roll:

Wow, that engineer must be a genius to optimize all three motors in one exhaust. Maybe they should be assigned to the air intake and software problem too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Let's see, same air filter box, same air filter, 3 different engines, and same muffler. Oh yea, this air flow is so precision tuned that the delicate balance will be upset if a high flow muffler is used. Now using a 4 cylinder gasser, a 4 cylinder 2.8 liter diesel and 3.7 liter V6 gasser won't bother anything though. That's one heck of a self-calibrating muffler. Do you suppose they sent the muffler specs to VM Motori in Italy so they could design the 2.8L R428 diesel engine around it?

Post subject: Re: Another reason for EGR failure
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:22 am 
LOST Junkie

KJMedic wrote:

The EGR used on our CRD's is not a vaccum pressure regulated system that is dependent on back pressure. The EGR is an electrically operated pin and seat orifice that allows precise control by the ECM and much faster response of the pin than an "old school" vaccum pressure EGR.
This "component swapper" called a tech needs to understand what components he is swapping out before making blanket statements that turn out to be false. :evil:

New EGR Flow Control Valve @ 25,020 miles
New Transfer Case input/output seals @ 32,787 miles
SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles
SunCoast TC and Transgo Shift Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:45 am 
LOST Junkie

I had a Ford dealership try to void my emissions warranty (cats came apart) on my Contour SVT because I had put a catback exhaust on the car. These guys are idiots.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
SAMCO Hoses//GDE Tune//PML Trans Pan//TransGo HD Shift Kit//MBRP Exhaust

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:08 am 
LOST Junkie

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that all those swaps have been of the valve in the exhaust system, and that the REAL problem is that the valve on the intake side is really the problem. It appears the two valves throw the same error codes, and since the one is half the price of the other, they throw the cheap one at the problem -- multiple times -- in hopes that solves things.

I, too, went through 3 EGR valves before the intake-side one was replaced, and that seems to have done the job. ALL the replacement EGRs on the exhaust side threw failure codes and tripped the CEL within a couple hundred miles. 6,000 miles on the changed out intake-side valve, and no sign of trouble. That's further than it went on the first EGR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:10 am 
LOST Newbie

I am sure that the highly calabrated OEM Muffler, must also some how be involved with Ball Joint Failures and Torque Converter Failures!!!!!!! :shock:

235/75/16 Cooper Discover ATR
www.stephenallcroft.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:30 am 
LOST Member

How does the exhaust get injected into the intake? The intake is under up to 25PSI and the EGR gas can't be under much as much pressure, even with the crappy stock muffler. Just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:12 am 
LOST Addict

BLake wrote:
How does the exhaust get injected into the intake? The intake is under up to 25PSI and the EGR gas can't be under much as much pressure, even with the crappy stock muffler. Just wondering.

True, boost pressures are 25psi+ but the engine is sucking harder. To develope that pressure (under flow) you need to create airflow resistance. The airflow control (anti-shudder) valve partially closes and essentially creates a dam. The EGR port is on the opposite side of the dam, causing a draft effect pulling exhaust gasses from the tube. One of the reasons for "EGR flow" codes is the AFC valve is failing. Its control gearing/mechanism is not strong enough to move (or hold) the dam plate under the force of the pressure differential.

Post subject: take some action
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:15 am 
LOST Junkie

KJMedic wrote:

You should call customer service and ask them to come up with an explanation of the above theory and press them as to to what they will do when you hit 36k and your warranty is up on the egr system. The basic extended warranty doesn't even cover it. Since you are on number 4 a visit withe the zone office is probably in order.

Post subject: Re: take some action
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:45 am 
LOST Addict

kjfishman wrote:
KJMedic wrote:

You should call customer service and ask them to come up with an explanation of the above theory and press them as to to what they will do when you hit 36k and your warranty is up on the egr system. The basic extended warranty doesn't even cover it. Since you are on number 4 a visit withe the zone office is probably in order.

What do you have for an extended warranty that excludes the EGR hardware? Do you mean the time balance from when the 3/36 expires to the end of the 7/70 powetrain only warranty? The extended warranty I have is worded to the effect that if something is covered under the basic 3/36 b2b, then it's covered under the 7/100K extended (without deductible). The only thing that would be excluded in this case is the actual aftermarket muffler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:57 am 
LOST Addict

Just remembered something. This is basically the same BS I got from a gent at a local speed shop. He was trying to convince me to buy one of the Flowmasters he had in stock, versus ordering an Aeroturbine (which he WAS also a dealer for). Gave me the same line, it'll screw up your enissions, burn out your EGR and valves, burn out your piston rings, yadda, yadda, yadda. Looked like a fool when the co-owner of the shop butted in and asked him why it was they were installing Aeroturbines on every diesel that showed up at their door and never had any complaints about them.

When the regional rep for Aeroturbine found out about the line this guy had fed me, he found another shop in short order to be his local dealer.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:37 pm 
LOST Member

s_allcroft wrote:
I am sure that the highly calabrated OEM Muffler, must also some how be involved with Ball Joint Failures and Torque Converter Failures!!!!!!! :shock:
You forgot to add the dreaded transmission shudder, acid rain, and extinction of the dinosaurs.

Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html

Post subject: A guess on egr failures
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think it might be how you drive. Here is my story- Wife ran over a curb in her mazda 3 while I was offshore. She had to drive the libby for a month. When I returned I was suprised to notice that I could generate HUGE black clouds. Noticable in the day. They were gone within a few full throttle episodes. Could it be that the egr valve gets clogged on some libbys because of a different driving style? Just a guess

HUX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

KenJennings wrote:
s_allcroft wrote:
You forgot to add the dreaded transmission shudder, acid rain, and extinction of the dinosaurs.

Yes I guess I overlooked those... Thanks for pointing out!!!!

235/75/16 Cooper Discover ATR
www.stephenallcroft.com