It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lower Ball Joint Recall from the UK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

bought myself a March 05 KJ 2.8 CRD week past Friday. Checked my vin number on Jeep.com and sure enough the ball joints need to be replaced.

spoke to my dealer here in the UK and they said yes they were aware about the problem and that there was to be a recall but until they have been advised by Jeep and the letters went out to the customers they wouldn't be replacing mine.

The thing is though now I know mine should be replaced I WANT THEM REPLACED. Thinking of just telling the dealer to replace them and I will pay for the job.

So what is the problem with my current ball joints what are the symptoms of knackered ball joints.???? and will I notice a difference when they are changed.

Had a look at the one on our drivers side and it looks all rusted.

Post subject: Re: Lower Ball Joint Recall from the UK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Scottie wrote:
The thing is though now I know mine should be replaced I WANT THEM REPLACED. Thinking of just telling the dealer to replace them and I will pay for the job.

So what is the problem with my current ball joints what are the symptoms of knackered ball joints.???? and will I notice a difference when they are changed.

Had a look at the one on our drivers side and it looks all rusted.

Safe to assume that you value your life? This is one defect which you will want to stand your ground with the dealer. The problem is the joints can separate unexpectantly and the whole wheel assembly will fall-off, usually taking the fender with it.

To check the joints requires using a jack to take the load off the joint then check for play, not someting you can tell by just looking. Does it feel loose in the front end or making any thumping noises? I felt the slop in mine while pumping the brakes and allowing the vehicle to creep at a stoplight. BTW, my first set only went 14K miles before needing replaced. I drive almost all expressway and it never been off-road.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

not feeling anything while braking but I'm going well getting my husband Allan to go into the dealers tomorrow. I kinda thought if they were to go it wouldn't be good.

My husbands tells me when he checked with the dealer about the ball joints the dealer told them they do not have the new style ball joints in the UK yet. Will this be correct.????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Scottie wrote:
not feeling anything while braking but I'm going well getting my husband Allan to go into the dealers tomorrow. I kinda thought if they were to go it wouldn't be good.

My husbands tells me when he checked with the dealer about the ball joints the dealer told them they do not have the new style ball joints in the UK yet. Will this be correct.????????

They are likely telling you the truth as the new joints are in short supply in the US. My dealer told me they can only get about 4 sets per week and they try to allocate them where they know they have a dangerous vehicle. If they can't replace them soon, have the dealer inspect the front end to make sure it's safe. You might not have anything to be concernerd about yet but you need to know.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.