It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smoother shut down
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:48 am 
LOST Member

I have a 2006, with NO major problems, except for a pinched wire in the main wiring harness from the engine, and still get 30+ mpg. I have noticed that the engine will stop smoother, if you press the gas pedal slightly while you turn off the key

Born on 5-20-2006 @ 7:20pm
Jeep Green, Oil drain valve
Tow Package, Transmission skid plate
EHM2, ORM,
Current mileage 79,000.
Past Jeeps: 63 CJ5,
1994, 1995, 2000 Cherokee,
1995, 1997, 2003 Wrangler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There has got to be differences in mileage capabilities of these things, I can't get better than 24 no matter what I do.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:58 am 
LOST Junkie

For whatever reason it just seems to be tghe current conditions. I average ~21mpg in DC traffic. Towing ~4klbs I get ~19mpg. Average highway is usually 25-27 depending on how fast I drove, best I've gotten is right around 30 (once). :shrug:

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
SAMCO Hoses//GDE Tune//PML Trans Pan//TransGo HD Shift Kit//MBRP Exhaust

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:44 am 
LOST Member

When it comes to posting MPG, we really should all be talking hand calculated MPG & include things like: driving content (speed, % stop & go, terrain, etc), miles on vehicle, load, tire psi, driving style. In fact, the only figures that probably should be considered comparable are those for empty vehicles driven solely on flat freeways at X mph or or those for empty vehicles driven entirely in stop & go driving, and only then when a/c use, tire psi, & miles on vehicle is noted. Driving style for the stop & go driving should also be given. It's probably a safe bet that 2 vehicles getting about equal MPG on flat ground freeway with similar parameters above are also about equally efficient at all other times. My guess is that it is usually the varying percentages of stop & go driving in the figures given that explain their significant differences, followed by average speed, break-in progress, & a/c use. I haven't yet noticed how driving style plays into it but I would think that hard acceleration costs, at least until the TC locks. In any case, stop & go kills our mileage more than the typical vehicle.

03/15/2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD w/86,000 mi. Engine lube pump, Provent, V6 airbox mod, Magnaflow, gauges, Amsoil all around, & Wix air filter. Sunroof drain blocked on receipt, stubborn fuel leak at 2200 mi, 3 jammed windows, & 1 bad alternator decoupler, but it's still a keeper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

BioJeep wrote:
When it comes to posting MPG, we really should all be talking hand calculated MPG & include things like: driving content (speed, % stop & go, terrain, etc), miles on vehicle, load, tire psi, driving style. In fact, the only figures that probably should be considered comparable are those for empty vehicles driven solely on flat freeways at X mph or or those for empty vehicles driven entirely in stop & go driving, and only then when a/c use, tire psi, & miles on vehicle is noted. Driving style for the stop & go driving should also be given. It's probably a safe bet that 2 vehicles getting about equal MPG on flat ground freeway with similar parameters above are also about equally efficient at all other times. My guess is that it is usually the varying percentages of stop & go driving in the figures given that explain their significant differences, followed by average speed, break-in progress, & a/c use. I haven't yet noticed how driving style plays into it but I would think that hard acceleration costs, at least until the TC locks. In any case, stop & go kills our mileage more than the typical vehicle.

I don't think a/c on our CRD does anything to milage....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A/C costs me at least 1 mpg and possibly more - it's hard to calculate because the times I don't run A/C - I typically run defrost or floor vent and both of those run the A/C compressor also. but the little I have run without the compressor on, the mileage is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:35 pm 
LOST Member

ATXKJ wrote:
A/C costs me at least 1 mpg and possibly more - it's hard to calculate because the times I don't run A/C - I typically run defrost or floor vent and both of those run the A/C compressor also. but the little I have run without the compressor on, the mileage is better.

I've noticed the same and it seems to be a 2mpg penalty for my conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:21 am 
LOST Newbie

The A/C doesn't effect my mileage. I get over thirty only if I fuel up and get on the highway and drive 68mph with the cruise on. That is corrected with gps miles and tank fill ups. It also matches to EVIC pretty close. Last freeway long ride (500+ miles) I measured 35 mpg by fill and gps and the evic was stating 32mpg. The one before that was 32mpg measured with gps and fill, with the evic reading 34mpg. The tranny really sux. In the city I have been getting no more then 18.5 mpg, the worst being a 16.5 mpg tank all of these were measured. Evic is always reading about 18.5 mpg city driving. My drive is stop and go every mile flat as texas, for 6 miles, hence the bicycle. Takes a bit longer to bike commute, about 10 minutes longer. The freeway is open ~85% flat as texas I10 from phoenix to el paso tx. Oh and I'm at 883.2ft in elevation, contiental divide is at ~4200 ft, so there's a little climb. But nothing the big bad Liberty can't handle. Ever since I pulled a trailer near the limit of this rig it has given the best milage. Before it never peaked over 28 mpg, so drive it like you stole it... or pull something way to big whatever it takes to break it in.

If you look at my averages it doesn't make sense... I can't make it 35mpgx20gal = 700 miles w/o stopping at 68mph => 10+ hours behind the wheel. Maybe in my younger days... So 700 miles may be possible. Can you hold it 10 hours?

Last edited by Desert_Busa on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:29 am 
LOST Member

I measured via the EVIC over extended distances & got ~1.5 mpg loss (running constant 70 mph on flat ground, 40 psi, 400 lb load, tho I don't see how any of that would really matter). One of these days I'll hand calculate it but this should be very near the true value.

03/15/2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD w/86,000 mi. Engine lube pump, Provent, V6 airbox mod, Magnaflow, gauges, Amsoil all around, & Wix air filter. Sunroof drain blocked on receipt, stubborn fuel leak at 2200 mi, 3 jammed windows, & 1 bad alternator decoupler, but it's still a keeper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:12 am 
LOST Member

I towed a 3000# trailer or carried a heavy load for essentially all of my first 6000 miles, mostly over very mountainous terrain & often using WOT. I started getting 30 mpg on the EVIC at 70 mph on flat ground shortly thereafter (without a/c, 40 psi, CC). But I have not yet hand calculated & I haven't revisited flat land since (now at 9000 miles). Anyway, I do think break-in brings mileage for these turbo diesels.