It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Engine Oil Cooler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

G'Day guys.

IT gets bloody hot here in QLD during summer, real hot & humid as hell. When 4x4ing in low range areas it can be exhausting work, not to mention hard on the cars.

What i'd like to do is get an engine oil cooler and do the install myself. I'm going to get 2 small square ones made up & install them in the front TJM bullbar I have, as there are 2 cut outs perfect for it.

My questions are:
- Has anyone ever done this before ?
- What about a sandwich block between the oil filter for bypass, are they available?
- How does the 28D (?) Towing Package work ? I thought that was for the auto tranny ?

I'm in the hose & fittings business so that's the easy part, but I just need some help working out ow to tap into the system ? & where ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What's wrong with the engine oil cooler that's already on the CRD? Is it not big enough?

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ranger1 wrote:
What's wrong with the engine oil cooler that's already on the CRD? Is it not big enough?

There isnt one ? I've checked plenty, unless the Aussie spec ones are different ? Am I missing something ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's on the passenger side of the engine on the US spec CRD. You can't see it from the top and its hard to see from the bottom as well, but its there - its liquid cooled from the engine coolant. It's an aluminum plate type cooler, located underneath the thermostat pipe that connects to the radiator hose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:42 pm 
LOST Member

Ranger -

I'll take a look and see when I get home but you might know better than me looking. Is there any way for us to rig up a fitting on that line between the pan and cooler (assuming there to be such a line) that can include a temp sender?

I have been longing for a good location for my oil temp sender. Two months so far and I have resisted the urge to simply install the sender in the pan drain. (Points due south with a 2" protrusion and a good way to screw up my pan drain threads taking that in and out every 5000 miles.)

Thanks.

Warranty:
EGRs, TC & Pump, EGR FCV
After-market:
Guages (5), PIAA duals, Hitch & side lights,
AeroTurbine, Fumoto, 3.7L Airbox, Revos, Steps,
Cargo Tray, Hitch Rack, Bike Rails, & Slush Mats

Post subject: Oil Cooler
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There might be but its going to be tight, really tight. I can just see the oil cooler up in there - its mounted against the engine block, and has some coolant connections from somewhere just below the auxillary belt driven viscous heater area. If you use this area, plan on a good days work, removing all the upper gear, auxillary heater, etc and adding some coolant plumbing.

Must be a easier place to connect to somewhere on this engine. Now that I think about it, the oil cooler is mounted directly against the engine block - does not look like any place to tap into. I was thinking about the coolant lines. I've seen pictures of this engine block with an oil filter mounted right where this cooler is located. Looks like the connection is closed to the block itself.

Maybe a relocator off of the main oil filter would be a better answer. There is a plug area on the front of oil pan that might be usable as well. OldNavy posted some pictures a while back of a oil pan that looked like it might be usable for a temp sender.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:24 pm 
LOST Member

I'm planning on utilizing that plug that Ranger speaks of for the purpose of feeding a bypass filter. The space is tight between it & the axle (<1.5 inches) but doable. It a recessed hex with apparently M22 threads. I'll probably have to fabricate a bushing as I can't find any such thing on the market in M22. The pictures were posted by Old Navy in the thread concerning the development of the Fumoto valve for our oil pan (I think it was pg 3).

03/15/2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD w/86,000 mi. Engine lube pump, Provent, V6 airbox mod, Magnaflow, gauges, Amsoil all around, & Wix air filter. Sunroof drain blocked on receipt, stubborn fuel leak at 2200 mi, 3 jammed windows, & 1 bad alternator decoupler, but it's still a keeper!

Post subject: Assie Jeeps
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Do Assie Jeeps have an EGR? If so, I can think of a great way to reduce the heat demands that are placed on your engine that does not involve adding anything.
:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:07 pm 
LOST Member

Ranger and Bio -

I'll go dig up Old Navy's page 3 and see what I see, thanks for the help.

For what its worth, I hear from my SM that another CRD owner had to get a new oil pan (different dealer stripped the drain plug). To remove the pan they had to lift the motor to get the pan out from the axle, some kind of clearance issues I guess.

Warranty:
EGRs, TC & Pump, EGR FCV
After-market:
Guages (5), PIAA duals, Hitch & side lights,
AeroTurbine, Fumoto, 3.7L Airbox, Revos, Steps,
Cargo Tray, Hitch Rack, Bike Rails, & Slush Mats

Post subject: Re: Assie Jeeps
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:31 am 
LOST Junkie

Pablo wrote:
Do Assie Jeeps have an EGR? If so, I can think of a great way to reduce the heat demands that are placed on your engine that does not involve adding anything.
:twisted:

And whats that ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:17 am 
LOST Junkie

OK so I checked the car out thoroughly today and also checked with the Jeep Parts dept about this ENGINE oil cooler thing. There's definately not one on the 05 Built 2.8CRD's. There is a couple of aluminium pipes going from the automatic transmision to the power steering rack then up front to a cooler, but thats purely for tranny & A/C condensing.

The Jeep parts dept told me about the optional upgrade for the tranny cooler (for that tow package thingy) but thats it.

So, coming back to my original question, how should I go about tapping into the system ?

Regards
Stu