It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High idle switch on CRD?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is there a way to enable a high idle on the CRD's? I don't own one yet so I was wondering. It's a pretty popular mod on the big trucks. I've done a search but didn't find anything on it...

Whatchall got?

Post subject: Re: High idle switch on CRD?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gator4x wrote:
Is there a way to enable a high idle on the CRD's? I don't own one yet so I was wondering. It's a pretty popular mod on the big trucks. I've done a search but didn't find anything on it...

Whatchall got?

Why would you want a High Idle control? We are not running refrigeration units or anything...???

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:07 pm 
LOST Addict

DarbyWalters wrote:
Gator4x wrote:

Whatchall got?

Why would you want a High Idle control? We are not running refrigeration units or anything...???

Main reason to have one is in cold weather, if you intend to idle for long periods of time is a way to prevent "wet stacking." Sometimes in hot weather, it helps the A/C compressor and alternator keep up with the load. Personally don't see much of a reason to idle this in cold weather. Have yet to have a starting problem (or use the block heater), even on the coldest of nights and heats-up relatively quickly. A fast idle function is probably already programed in the basic engine software, just need to access and turn it on.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gator4x wrote:
Is there a way to enable a high idle on the CRD's? I don't own one yet so I was wondering. It's a pretty popular mod on the big trucks.

I have wondered about this myself. I like that on my Semi. It would be a great feature for cold mornings when starting and letting idle a few minutes to warm up. I am not fond of having a diesel just idle at normal for warmup... the carbon buildup... oh the humanity!

I tried the way that semis do it... just engage the cruise control step up to set to high or PTO idle. No result on the Liberty. Unless the procedure a little different. Usually that is how the programming is set up in big trucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Supposedly the auxillary heater and the glow plug programming is setup to prevent excessively cold running on the CRD. Ive seen my auxillary kick on when the temperature was 49 degrees F, as in yesterday after starting. It cycled on and off until until I drove off. The glow plugs are programmed by the PCM to engage not only for cold starts, but for emissions control as well.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:31 am 
LOST Addict

Ranger1 wrote:
Supposedly the auxillary heater and the glow plug programming is setup to prevent excessively cold running on the CRD. Ive seen my auxillary kick on when the temperature was 49 degrees F, as in yesterday after starting. It cycled on and off until until I drove off. The glow plugs are programmed by the PCM to engage not only for cold starts, but for emissions control as well.

So is it possible that wet stacking may not be a problem with our little beasties?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:23 am 
LOST Member

Jeger wrote:
Ranger1 wrote:

So is it possible that wet stacking may not be a problem with our little beasties?

That would make sense since they keep burning out on people. Seems weird that glow plugs that only cycle on for cold starts would burn out so quickly on such new cars ... unless they were cycling on and off at other intervals like Jeger is describing above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:36 am 
LOST Newbie

Right after I bought my '05 CRD, I spoke to a DC factory engineer about this. Let me say first off that extended idling of any engine, if not necessary, is not a good idea. There are those occasions, though, where an extended idle in cold weather may be necessary. The DC tech is spoke with told me that a high idle control is not necessary to prevent "wet stacking" of CRD. As someone else posted, part of the purpose of the viscous heater is to keep the engine at proper operating temperature under these conditions. So, unless the high idle is needed for some other purpose (such as running high demand electrical equipment--lights, winch, etc.--at idle), a high idle control serves no real need.

Every winter, discussions about "wet-stacking" proliferate on all of the diesel boards. The mechanic I used for over 20 years (I since moved to a different town about 4 years ago) was also a fleet mechanic for several utility companies and government agencies that used all kinds of diesel pickups, ambulances, and medium trucks--this in an area where below zero winter temperatures were pretty common. In all of those years, the only diesels he installed high idle controls for were ambulances (high electrical demands), and power company trucks (to power the PTO for the bucket). In all of those years, he NEVER saw an engine failure due to "wet stacking," and a lot of the vehicles he maintained spent a lot of time idling. He said that the whole "wet-stacking" issue was overblown.

One last comment about cold weather and the CRD. "Cold" is below zero F., not 30 or 40 degrees above. My CRD has started (without the block heater) all the way to -20 F. I don't bother to plug it in unless the temperature is below 15 degrees, and then for only an hour or two before I go to start it. A CRD should start without the block heater to at least 0 to 10 below F. without issue. If it doesn't, there is something wrong with it.

Post subject: Ok, I'm stupid
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:40 am 
LOST Member

What is this cold weather "Wet Stacking" malady? Everyone keeps saying it, but what is it?

(I live in Florida, so I'm pretty sure I shouldn't care.)

Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html

Post subject: Re: Ok, I'm stupid
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:46 am 
LOST Member

KenJennings wrote:
What is this cold weather "Wet Stacking" malady? Everyone keeps saying it, but what is it?

Now your just being mean :(

90 Miata (sold)
'49 Studebaker PU (sold)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Did an internet search and found this on a site relating to diesel generators. The site was "all World Diesel generators" or something like that.

Q. What does the term "Wet Stacking" mean in a diesel engine?
A. Diesel engines are designed to operate with a load. When a diesel engine operates considerably below the rated output level the engine can start to over-fuel or "Wet Stack". Diesel engines perform most efficiently in the 70-80% range of rated output. When an engine operates for a prolonged period of time below 40% of the rated output it begins to over-fuel. This occurs because the injection tips began to carbonize and disrupt the fuel spray pattern. In commercial generator standby/emergency systems where loads can vary and low output conditions can occur more frequently because of the diverse load applications, an automatic load bank is normally used. A load bank will place a "false" load on the generator system to keep the diesel engine properly loaded to prevent a "Wet Stack" condition. In residential or small business applications a "false" anti-wet stack load condition can be accomplished with the use of an electric heater or other high load appliance to make sure the diesel engine generator system is not allowed to operate for prolonged periods of time below an acceptable level. Once a diesel engine begins to "wet stack" the only way to correct the problem is to load the engine for a couple of hours to burn off the excess fuel and clean up the engine. Some diesel engines are less prone to "wet stacking" than others. Generally, electronically controlled engines and engines with advanced emission systems are less likely to "wet stack". Unfortunately, all diesel engines will "wet stack" if operated for long periods of time considerably below the rated output level. It is for this reason that proper sizing and design is important. ADG can help you with all your sizing and design considerations. It is part of our Sales Engineering Service program and it is free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:

Not to hijack!! But how did you know the aux heat was kicking in. Is there a light or did you just hear it? As of now I still have no owners manual and Jeep is basically saying oh well.

Thanks

ipod Adapter

Retired Cars:
86 Izuzu Trooper II
87 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer (317,000 miles and still going, gave it to a friend)
99 Grand Cherokee Limited

Post subject: Re: Ok, I'm stupid
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:21 pm 
LOST Member

Milner wrote:
KenJennings wrote:

Now your just being mean :(

Well, someday I hope to move to a civilized part of the country where there's snow and I can make the KJ climb an actual hill.

Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:15 pm 
LOST Member

Gator4x wrote:
Is there a way to enable a high idle on the CRD's? It's a pretty popular mod on the big trucks.

Most 3/4 ton and one ton trucks that have this feature typically have PTO's for running hydraulic pumps for various types of service equipment, and thus have an easily adaptable computer flash for a high idle feature (generally activated thru the cruise control function).

The way our CRD's are designed I'd think there's little to no chance of wet-stacking personally.

I guess you could always make a "poor mans" high idle with a short stick and the power seat adjustment. 8)

Greg

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'd like to chime in and say it isn't nescessary. Extended ilding periods are no good....they waste fuel, pollute the atmosphere, and cause unnescessary wear and tear on your engine. The only time this is needed is if you are running heavy equipment or accessories and the only purpose is to provide juice to said equipment. Unfortunatley, most people out there think diesels are designed to stay running all the time since they normally see this in commerical diesel vehicles and big rigs. The only reason the big rigs would do it is so that they could power their climate control and various other things in their sleepers while they are not on the road...most truck stops are now installing systems to eliminate the need for this. Also, a lot of big rigs now have aux generators that run off the Diesel in their tanks and use much less fuel. In our application this is not nescessary. If you aren't on the road, shut er down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:
Not to hijack!! But how did you know the aux heat was kicking in. Is there a light or did you just hear it? As of now I still have no owners manual and Jeep is basically saying oh well.

The "viscous heater" is driven by the engine belt, and it has an electric clutch like the A/C compressor. When it kicks in there is a slight change to the engine sound, similar to the sound change when th A/C cycles on and off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
But how did you know the aux heat was kicking in. Is there a light or did you just hear it?

Heard it - can see it as well if you lift the hood - on the passenger side of the engine bay, you can see what looks like an AC pulley turning - in cold weather, the clutch will kick in and you can see it turning. You can also hear it inside the cab if you listen when you first start it in colder weather.

My point in telling about how the viscous heater kicked in even at 49 degrees F was that if the engine cylinder temperature isn't up to snuff, emissions won't be either - hence the viscous heater and glow plug usage for more than just cold starts. I think emissions was the primary reason for the aux heater, less chance of wet stacking was just a side benefit. Aux heater on mine will heat up the engine to operating temperature in 1 mile, with outside temperatures as low as 12F. It puts out roasting heat in very little time. When it's 50F outside, the engine takes much longer to warm up as the aux heater doesn't come on. I do remember working late one Friday night, and early Saturday morning around 1:00am I left. It was 15 - 18 F with a strong gusty wind - pretty cold - that viscous heater was putting roasting heat out in less than 2 miles.

A really nice touch on the CRD, as is the electrically heated fuel filter.

Don't have any -20F in the southeast so can't tell how it works under those conditions.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:43 am 
LOST Newbie

I brought up the question for a couple of reasons.
1-Really cold weather (<0F) starts, to bump the idle up to let it idle 2-3 mins to warm up.
2-For goin wheelin. You end up putting a bunch of lights on, a winch, an air compressor, etc etc. So I would like to be able to bump idle for those situations where I have a large electrical load.

Just a comment-all the electrical doo-dads on these Jeeps are great when the thing is new and running right, but GOD! I can't even imagine the average shade tree mechanic trying to chase down an electrical/sensor related problem in 10-15 years.

I really like the way Cummins set up the 5.9L in the Rams. The intake manifold heats up instead of glow plugs. I always thought that was great. I loved hearing all stories about the Power Choke dudes trying to figure out which one of their glow plugs burned out and then going through the hassle of replacing them. On my Cummins the dealer could simply flash the ECU so you could mash the cruise control and idle up.

Anyway, cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm interested in a high idle for my crd as im in the vehicle all day even in mid winter, which right now is at -30 degrees celcius. when I have to idle it, it actually cools down to the point where it blows cool air. I find i have to manually rev it to 1200 rpm to get the temp back up so warm air is blowing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:47 pm 

bucklanddj wrote:
I'm interested in a high idle for my crd as im in the vehicle all day even in mid winter, which right now is at -30 degrees celcius. when I have to idle it, it actually cools down to the point where it blows cool air. I find i have to manually rev it to 1200 rpm to get the temp back up so warm air is blowing.

Sounds like you may be a candidate for one of those Webasto Heaters?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve