It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: transmission lag upon startup?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

gooday,

hoping to get some perspective on an issue that has been around a while, but haven't paid too much attention to it.

so, basically, it happens at first startup in the morning. start the engine, put it in drive, press the pedal down, and don't start moving forwards or backwards for 4-5 seconds. i've gotten into the habit of not pressing pedal during this time, and when it eases out of it, i engage then. it doesn't always happen. it seems to happen irrespective of temperature - warm or cold.

any ideas?

many thanks in advance,

raymond

Post subject: Re: transmission lag upon startup?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:11 pm 
LOST Member

It's the anti drain back valve in your spin in transmission filter. Replace it with a Mopar one and you should be good to go. Fixed mine and several other members here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks so much.

do you know of any links to undertake that procedure?

any just so i'm clear, you are speaking of replacing the anti-drainback valve, not the tranny filter right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:20 pm 
LOST Member

He's referring to the anti-drainback valve in the spin on transmission filter. There are 2 filters for our transmission. One is the normal looking filter that you see in most transmissions. The second is a spin on filter that looks like an oil filter. If you purchase a filter kit from Napa it will come with both filters.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is a well known issue and has been in a number of DCJ vehicles since at least the 1970s, don't ask me why. Generally speaking it's a harmless nusance in the sense that there is no immediate need to fix anything especially if a routine transmission service is in the relatively near future; I planned on living with it until 50,000 miles but got my SunCoast a bit early. In the interim after the vehicle has been sitting for in excess of 6 hrs (IMHO it takes at least that long for the drain back problem to occur) get in crank up; with foot on brake shift into neutral (as near as I can tell from the FSM the tranny pump pumps faster in neutral then park but I could be wrong and this worked for me) and hold rpms at ca. 1,000; while putting on seat belt and getting settled count off 10 seconds or so; put into drive or reverse and go about your business. If when you first put it into gear the tranny doesn't IMMEDIATELY engage shift back into neutral and repeat the idle in neutral cycle.

Alternatively you can just crank up and shift into drive or reverse and press the go pedal. If it doesn't IMMEDIATELY go then do the idle in neutral trick which works every time.

I stress immediately because if there is any hesitation and you try to drive you will probably get about 100-200 feet at which point there will be a somewhat violent engine stall, not good, that may produce a CEL. The CEL will go away after 4-5 good starts but I like to avoid that problem and the stall.

As noted the fix is a tranny service with ATF+4 and brand name new filters; no eBay bargin filters. Nothing special about the service, any decent tranny shop can do it but stress ATF+4. If you want to do it yourself there may be a writeup in Sir Sam's NOOB guide but if not see the FSM links there. A rather messy job as you have to drop the tranny pan and there is no drain so tranny fluid will get all over everything below the pan. When the job is done be sure to check that the plate on the side of the valve body is fully bolted in place and not cracked; another known issue that can be corrected by a Transgo kit.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:29 pm 
LOST Member

The filter may have fixed it for some but not for me. Three spin-on filters later, one being a genuine MoPar brand, and the problem continued. I fixed mine by installing the upgraded front pump when I did the Euro TC. It's been fine ever since and that's over 1-1/2 years since the installation.

1992 Dodge Stealth RT Twin Turbo Pearl White/Black Leather
2008 Kubota GR2110 Diesel
2006 Key West 186 Sportsman w/135HP Honda OB
1943 Farmall H Restored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks again for all the input. i'm actually selling it and trying to tidy up all know issues, so i'll pop for the new filter and atf4 and hope that settles it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 am 
LOST Junkie

I agree with all the others. BUT..If this only happens when you first start and quickly put it in gear? You may have a plugged air filter. If the air filter plugs up, the engine will have a low idle and will take longer to get trany fluid moving. Could be a quick fix. I found this in a CRD in the past. The dealer wanted to tear down the tranny. The owner was happy to only have to replace the air filter.

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI