It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interested in Class action lawsuit over derate of HP/Torque
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:22 am 
LOST Junkie

It keeps getting talked about in other threads. The best way to get a class action is to show a lawyer a client list that already exists.
If you would want to be involved in a class action please post here. Lets post once so true interest may be gauged. Taking on DC is expensive for a firm, the potental rewards however are quite high for that same firm... :D

IF you DO NOT want to be involved please refrain from posting here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:27 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm in... as long as it doesn't cost me anything :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:32 am 
LOST Junkie

First you need to understand the whole 'detuning' thing, before you jump into this class action lawsuit. The 'detuning' most likely only affects during shifts to aid in transmission longevity.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
SAMCO Hoses//GDE Tune//PML Trans Pan//TransGo HD Shift Kit//MBRP Exhaust

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:00 am 
LOST Newbie

RTStabler51 wrote:
First you need to understand the whole 'detuning' thing, before you jump into this class action lawsuit. The 'detuning' most likely only affects during shifts to aid in transmission longevity.

How can we understand if they aren't willing to tell us? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I<3myCRD wrote:
I'm in... as long as it doesn't cost me anything :D

Ditto. Extra $$$ not available until mid-2007.

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:23 am 
LOST Junkie

I would be in, again as long as it doesn't cost me anything...and I also agree that we need the technical info on how they have detuned our engines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:42 am 
LOST Addict

I would be in, pending of course, good technical info on exactly how it will be detuned, and provided that I could afford it.

I will be especially interested to find out if my CRD didnt meet the advertised power and torque ratings from day one.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeger wrote:
I would be in, pending of course, good technical info on exactly how it will be detuned, and provided that I could afford it.

I will be especially interested to find out if my CRD didnt meet the advertised power and torque ratings from day one.

Ditto. Count me in also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:11 pm 
LOST Member

RTStabler51 wrote:
First you need to understand the whole 'detuning' thing, before you jump into this class action lawsuit.

True. But that information has not be forthcoming.

RTStabler51 wrote:
The 'detuning' most likely only affects during shifts to aid in transmission longevity.

Do you have any evidence to support your theory? Just because this occurred with the Lightning provides no evidence that this is the approach being used by DCX. I think it's fair to say that at the moment nobody has a clue as to how DCX plans to accomplish this so called "small reduction".

If your theory proves to be true, then I think folks might be persuaded to cool their jets.

I do have one question. If all DCX is doing is reducing the torque during shifting (like with the Lightning), then one would still expect to be able to make maximum rated torque (when not shifting) - don't you think? If this is true then why would DCX say that there will be a "small reduction in engine torque" (which suggests a change in the specifications)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:34 pm 
LOST Member

First of all - class action lawsuits should never cost any money for the class. In fact, class action lawsuits are very popular with lawyers because even with settlements the legal team makes LOTS of money, while the class actually gets screwed.

I am in for a class action if one were to be formed. But considering the recent class actions that I have been a part of it seems almost silly, as with any class action all DC needs to do is make a gesture to get off.

So they might "settle" for something like this:

Give all affected owners $1500 off on a new DC vehicle.

And then they will have some disclaimer like "not to be used in conjunction with any other offers" and because of that if you use your settlement you might end up paying more than you would have if you could haggle with the dealership...

All the while, the lawyers take home nice fat checks...

Again, that is just hypothetical - I have no inside knowlege or anything. I am just going off things like the Microsoft Windows class action lawsuit where Microsoft was found guilty and we all got a $20 coupon towards new Microsoft software. Or the Sony BMG class action lawsuit where Sony was found guilty and we all got a $1.50 coupon for a new CD.

Crap like that happens all the time.

What I want to see happen is DC fined for bait-and-switch if that is found what they did, and/or be required to return vehicles to saleability or compensate me for my losses (when I want to sell the vehicle I will have suffered resale value losses by this "fix").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:53 pm 
LOST Member

valkraider wrote:
First of all - class action lawsuits should never cost any money for the class. In fact, class action lawsuits are very popular with lawyers because even with settlements the legal team makes LOTS of money, while the class actually gets screwed.

I am in for a class action if one were to be formed. But considering the recent class actions that I have been a part of it seems almost silly, as with any class action all DC needs to do is make a gesture to get off.

So they might "settle" for something like this:

Give all affected owners $1500 off on a new DC vehicle.

And then they will have some disclaimer like "not to be used in conjunction with any other offers" and because of that if you use your settlement you might end up paying more than you would have if you could haggle with the dealership...

All the while, the lawyers take home nice fat checks...

Again, that is just hypothetical - I have no inside knowlege or anything. I am just going off things like the Microsoft Windows class action lawsuit where Microsoft was found guilty and we all got a $20 coupon towards new Microsoft software. Or the Sony BMG class action lawsuit where Sony was found guilty and we all got a $1.50 coupon for a new CD.

Crap like that happens all the time.

What I want to see happen is DC fined for bait-and-switch if that is found what they did, and/or be required to return vehicles to saleability or compensate me for my losses (when I want to sell the vehicle I will have suffered resale value losses by this "fix").

Right ... you are not going to get a new car or a buy-back in a class-action suit. It is likely you will be compensated either by a closed or open ended settlement.

An example of a closed-ended settlement being the $1500 off the purchase of your next Chrysler car - who cares? I don't want another Chrysler car.

An open ended example being cash compensation toward the degraded value of the CRD so that when we sell them, we don't take as huge a loss with its forming troubled reputation out in the market-place.

A class-action suit is a good route to go to embarrass DC, but if you want the best settlement, go on-line, look up your states lemon law guidelines for Mfr Buy-back and take it from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

Besides, the whole discusion is premature until we find out if there really is a significant torque reduction. It may be un-noticable or just a ruduction during shifting like the Dodge Diesel. Also, as was stated, it's a waste of time as only the lawyers get anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

T^2 wrote:

Do you have any evidence to support your theory? Just because this occurred with the Lightning provides no evidence that this is the approach being used by DCX. I think it's fair to say that at the moment nobody has a clue as to how DCX plans to accomplish this so called "small reduction".

If your theory proves to be true, then I think folks might be persuaded to cool their jets.

I do have one question. If all DCX is doing is reducing the torque during shifting (like with the Lightning), then one would still expect to be able to make maximum rated torque (when not shifting) - don't you think? If this is true then why would DCX say that there will be a "small reduction in engine torque" (which suggests a change in the specifications)?
Well, a friend of mine called Customer Service today and was told he would be called back. A few hours later he was called back and told that it does affect the torque/hp ACROSS THE BAND, so it will NOT be a torque reduction at shift points, but instead affecting everything. He lurks here and hasn't posted as of yet, so hopefully he will post soon and clarify his discussion with the DCX rep.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
SAMCO Hoses//GDE Tune//PML Trans Pan//TransGo HD Shift Kit//MBRP Exhaust

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject: I'm in.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:07 pm 
LOST Addict

The first thing we need to do is get a list of every attorney general in every state where these are sold. Then complain most vehemently to them.

Second, we need to get a list of folks who bought CRDs and get an email/snail mail to them informing them of the issues involved and asking to join if they feel the same way.

Of course, the latter involves money and getting that list. I don't think we will be able to get it without an attorney or the involvement of an attorney general.

Lastly, to get those letters ready to send--- we need to make a list of areas where DC has misrepresented this product and get our facts together to support these claims:

1. Engine warranty of 100,000 miles. So what is it? Printing error, outright lie? I was told by the salesman that the diesels had a 100,000 mile warranty. I will sign an affidavit. We need the copies of the warranty book that included the warranty section-- mine does not. Also press clippings where DC stated this was the case.

2. "Economy of a 4 cylinder, accelleration of a v-6, towing of a v-8", 295ft pnds and 165 horsepower. F37-- Bait and switch. Need those dyno numbers and the letters from DC, also need the specs as to what they are actually going to do.

3. Sold this thing as ODBII complaint and complaint with industry standard regulations-- yet several have posted TMC and EMC are both bus-masters on the same bus-- and that this is a violation of the standard protocol requiring only one master. DC has kludged the software to make it work. This has resulted in ODBII scanners not working and in failed emissions (F31 recall). So this thing is not really ODBII complaint, not really industry standards complaint and occasionally in violation of federal emisssions law, depending on what bugs they have flashed it with most recently. Need to get someone who knows what they are talking about here and get affidavit's on all this and the official list of the spec's that this thing violates.

4. Engine that occasionally goes into limp mode and requires restart of automobile. Tech has stated he has even seen this on engines running "on the bench". Need affidavit from tech. Need users who have this problem to sign affidavits.

5. Other unacceptable, and unsafe, maintenance problems-- ball joints and recalls that are still not done yet, ccv valve that does not work, hoses that go soft when ccv valve passes oil into them, egr valve, flow control valve. Cost of these items is expensive and their lifespan is below acceptable minimums. Need receipts and dealer statements of work performed, affidavits etc.

6. Delear abandonment/lack of communication with DCX. Most of the time we know far more about this thing than the dealers who work on it. They should at least have been aware of the problems we were having. Often we had to give them the recall and bulliten numbers related to the problems we had. I am tired of trying to explain the same tranny problem for the past year to my dealer who has looked at me like I am nuts-- despite the fact that most here know of it and inspite of the customer satisfaction remedies DCX has created for it. This appears to be widespread. Need to accumulate these incidences.

7. And while it may seem petty, no detail is now too small as we are playing hardball. Jeep advertises all Liberties as having 9 inches of ground clearance. It used to say "running clearance" but the current spec sheet on jeep.com as of a couple days ago said 9 straight up and did not even mention "running clearance". I don't think they changed the Liberty to be 3 inches higher for 07-- so this is an outright lie. For all new models, this is misrepresenting the product. It could also be argued that "running clearance" is disingenuous and misrepresents the product we purchased.

Add anything else you can think of...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

Take a deep breath pablo. You will get a succesful class action suit on the CRD right after VP Cheney finishes his first marathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:42 am 
LOST Addict

vtdog wrote:
Take a deep breath pablo. You will get a succesful class action suit on the CRD right after VP Cheney finishes his first marathon

Your comment contributes nothing to the discussion and may cause yet another thread to become angry and political. Why do that? I am not ready to sue yet either, but if some want to discuss it, it is their thread to use.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:20 am 
LOST Newbie

LOL, a class action suit. Yes, the world definantly needs more law suits. With this kind of attitude you wont be able to Fart in public with out somone suing you for having to breathe your poisionous gas. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:26 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm in. I have just had it will this POS. I've owned my for 18 months and its been in the shop for a cumulative of 60 days! This is the Edsel of the 21st Century.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:30 am 
LOST Member

I've been the beneficiary of several class action suits, and they work! I must have received perhaps a total of $4.35!!!! from various suits against a few credit cards, an electronics manufacturer, and my cable company. I didn't even know I was suing them until it was over! I'm rolling in dough now. Ok, that's sarcasm.

The primary beneficiaries of class action suits are the lawyers. If somehow a settlement is reached to replace actual hardware with no cost to me, then that would be a good thing. But settlements like that are rare.

Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:42 am 
LOST Newbie

But dont forget, class action suites are a fantasitc way for DC to say FUG the further development of new Diesel Technology and drivelines to match...for other vechicles in the future.