It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I am pursuing Lemon Law with my CRD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

The F37 recall was the final straw. According to WI lemon law a vehicle has to be in for 4 instances they could not fix and a total of 30 days. I have met both critera. In the first year I owned my CRD it was in the shop 50 days! It eats 1 qt of oil every 1500 miles and they cant fix it. When I change oil last weekend, it was 2 qts low!

As much as l like it, its got to go. All CRD owners are going to be seriously F'd when the warranty is up. My CRD has had probably $12,000 in repairs already. What are you going to do when thats money out of the your own pocket? I am not willing to find out. CRD was the biggest POS in history as far as I'm concerned. The only problem is what else is there? Trucks and Suvs get horrible gas milage. It just plain sucks. Why cant DCX build a decent vehicle, or fix the ones they have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

I don't like to sway anyone from a chosen course of action when it involves their money. Good Luck with your decision.

I personally would choose to use the warranty period to fix as many problems as show up so that these don't as you say eat into my money after the warranty period.
While I'm not loyal to DCX, I am loyal to the engine barring any emission control junk. Outside of Darby_Walters catastrophic failure due to an injector breaking off in the cylinder, this engine IMHO is very good. Outside of that, yes the transmission is a poor match for the engine. Yes, the dealer network was unprepared for servicing this vehicle. Yes, the fuel quality in the US stinks as compared to Europe, Austrialia, Africa or New Zealand.
Yes, DCX cut corners on the production of this vehicle.

It's all a matter of preferences and expectations. We're on the bleeding edge as far as DCX is concerned with this diesel package. Some of us have no appetite for dealer visits or tinkering. We just want to turn the key and go. Some of us have enormous patience and turn wrenches. We just want to take something apart and see how it works. Some of us just enjoy the camraderie of complaining. Where would we be without this Forum.

If you can use the Lemon Law and get from out of the CRD as it's causing you emotional, monetary and time pain then by all means do it.
If you still want a diesel vehicle check out VW TDI's, they also have their share of issues.
If you want suggestions on potential places of oil loss I have a few of them.

New EGR Flow Control Valve @ 25,020 miles
New Transfer Case input/output seals @ 32,787 miles
SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles
SunCoast TC and Transgo Shift Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Actually turned out to be a valve keeper that broke...valve went into cylinder and glow plug got snapped off....ect, ect, ect.

I understand the first post's position. It doesn't matter how much the rest of us might like our CRDs...continuouly bad experiences can sour anyone's tastebuds. If DC gives you Lemmons...squeeze it out of them and make Lemonade.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

DZL_LOU wrote:
I don't like to sway anyone from a chosen course of action when it involves their money. Good Luck with your decision.

If you can use the Lemon Law and get from out of the CRD as it's causing you emotional, monetary and time pain then by all means do it.

Darby_Walters, couldn't agree with you more on making lemon aid

SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

I suspect that repeated trips to a dealership for repairs are NOT a lemon CRD but a LEMON DEALERSHIP with clueless technicians who cannot properly diagnose and fix a problem correctly the first time.
I wonder if CRD tech's were VW trained :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:45 pm 
LOST Member

Drewd wrote:

that made me laugh .... I had an '06 VR6 and all the dealer did for any fix was put in on the scanner ... pull the codes and swap out parts .. no real sense of what they were doing .... I explained my MAF (is that what we call em on vw's?) failure problem to them and told them they needed to replace under recall (extended warranty?) , they insisted I sign a form stating I would be responsible for the 80$ scan hookup fee if it wasn't the MAF. I guess they were still mad at me for having to replace two window regs under extended warranty ...

All that said I guess I am a bleeding edge kind of guy myself ... I would still have the Jetta were it not for the Drink Driver who ran me head on as I waited for a turn signal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Good luck with the Lemon, process, sounds like you have a case though.

I am going to stick it out with mine as it has only had the shudder issue, and hopefully that will be addressed shortly.

I like to take things apart and see how they work....right now I would love to take apart the decision makers at DC and see just what the heck is wrong with them.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:56 pm 
LOST Member

Drewd wrote:
I suspect that repeated trips to a dealership for repairs are NOT a lemon CRD but a LEMON DEALERSHIP with clueless technicians who cannot properly diagnose and fix a problem correctly the first time.

For some though, multiple transmission reprograms for "enhanced torque converter durability" (TSBs), Torque Converter recall - oh sorry - customer satisfaction campaign, BCM reprogram, Lower Ball Joint recalls ... very annoying and inconvenient to take the CRD in for, what seems like, monthly or semi-monthly dealer visits. The TSB's and recalls can't completely blamed on the dealer. If the CRD was engineered better and tested A LOT better before bringing it to market, these issues would have surfaced long before consumers began experiencing them. Makes you wonder if they just drove it around Detroit for a few days and figured - well - it runs fine in Europe, no need to go crazy on testing for this.

I like the diesel, it's my first. I like that it is in a well-proportioned (size-wise) SUV, but will I buy another Chrysler car again? Never.

I had a 99 Sebring with "auto-stick". Every year, for the 4 years I owned it, the transmission's sensors burned out and it had to be towed in for new ones. Of course, the parts were never in the area, so it sat for a few days waiting at the dealer.

Yes, I've had problems with other cars I've owned - but none as major as the drivetrain problems as I've had in both Chrysler cars I own(ed). What they offer in style, they lack miserably in engineering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

Jeger wrote:

I like to take things apart and see how they work....right now I would love to take apart the decision makers at DC and see just what the heck is wrong with them.

You might find out that they have a bad CAN bus coupled with they can't make a decision because their tranny shudders everytime they get up from a chair during a meeting.
What makes matters worse is that the DCX cafeteria serves a good helping of Bio-Beans each day for lunch. The executives find they are having issues with their Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Control Valves around 2:30pm each day.
So to give the impression of making progress they all decide to flash and re-flash themselves in public.

SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:02 pm 
LOST Addict

DZL_LOU wrote:
Jeger wrote:

You might find out that they have a bad CAN bus coupled with they can't make a decision because their tranny shudders everytime they get up from a chair during a meeting.
What makes matters worse is that the DCX cafeteria serves a good helping of Bio-Beans each day for lunch. The executives find they are having issues with their Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Control Valves around 2:30pm each day.
So to give the impression of making progress they all decide to flash and re-flash themselves in public.

Oh man thats funny! I better get back to work now LOL

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DZL_LOU wrote:
Jeger wrote:

And their "Lower Ball Joints"? Don't even go there~

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:30 pm 
LOST Member

:lol:

03/15/2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD w/86,000 mi. Engine lube pump, Provent, V6 airbox mod, Magnaflow, gauges, Amsoil all around, & Wix air filter. Sunroof drain blocked on receipt, stubborn fuel leak at 2200 mi, 3 jammed windows, & 1 bad alternator decoupler, but it's still a keeper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

After cooling down and looking for a replacement vehicle, I may choose a different course of action. Tell my dealer give me a 10yr - 150K warranty or I pursue lemon law.

The fact of the matter is there isnt a replacement vehicle out there. I spent two hours looking for something and couldnt find anything. I dont want an anemic gas pickup that sucks gas. I already had a Dodge Ram with that useless 4.7l motor. It got 14mpg and couldnt tow anything. My CRD gets 25-30mpg and I can tow anything. You would really think manufacturers could produce a midsize 4 cyl diesel pickup, like the Dakota. What a hit that would be. A 300ft/lb mid size pickup that got 25mpg. Gee, who'd want one of those :x. I dont want or need a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. So whats left? Nothing. It truly is a love/hate relationship with this vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

macd wrote:
After cooling down and looking for a replacement vehicle, I may choose a different course of action. Tell my dealer give me a 10yr - 150K warranty or I pursue lemon law.

The fact of the matter is there isnt a replacement vehicle out there. I spent two hours looking for something and couldnt find anything. I dont want an anemic gas pickup that sucks gas. I already had a Dodge Ram with that useless 4.7l motor. It got 14mpg and couldnt tow anything. My CRD gets 25-30mpg and I can tow anything. You would really think manufacturers could produce a midsize 4 cyl diesel pickup, like the Dakota. What a hit that would be. A 300ft/lb mid size pickup that got 25mpg. Gee, who'd want one of those :x. I dont want or need a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. So whats left? Nothing. It truly is a love/hate relationship with this vehicle.

Do a search on Jeep Gladiator, They had it exactly, fan site were already up, toy companies making RC version and DC pulled the plug and go with crap like the Compass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:07 pm 
LOST Addict

macd wrote:

I think you are on the right track. Personally not enthusiastic about owning this beast without warranty protection which gives me a long time to make a move as I have a 100K extended. Had this been a lease, I would have thrown the keys at DC a long time ago. Owning it, I just can't justify taking a hit to make an early switch. You might as well make the best of the base warranty time remaining. And who knows, maybe DC will get their act together and you discover that you own a diamond in the rough.

Oh yeh, should also remind you that car dealers like buyer that make emotional decisions. They usually make bad ones.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:11 pm 
LOST Member

macd wrote:
Thats why I have the my CRD today. The first manufacture to come out with a 1/2T diesel pickup is getting my next auto purchase money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:51 pm 
LOST Member

macd wrote:

Do a search in google and you will find that both Ford and GM plan to bring light duty diesel trucks to market here in the U.S. in the next couple of years.

Here are some links:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/13/diesel-confirmed-for-light-duty-f-150-by-2009/
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2006/10/ford_to_offer_d.html

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2060825.004/country/acf/General%20Motors/gm-to-introduce-new-light-duty-diesel-for-north-america
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/08/gm_to_introduce.html

I've read somewhere that Dodge plans to do the same thing - Ram and Dakota.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

macd wrote:

Go have a look here http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/02/index.jsp and check the Dakota under Chrysler then look at Toyota. The US EPA has their head in the sand :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:32 pm 
LOST Member

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Last edited by longarm on Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm in. After three attempts, the last being a failed recall attempt to repair my vehicle, I have called the bulldogs in for support. I expect to hear back tomorrow where my case applies. I live in Colorado, repairs made in Colorado, but purchased in Pa. Either way I qualify. I'm so excited!! :twisted:

I was going to stick with this, but for what? I've done nothing but waste my time and become a slave to DC. No more.

macd - I would love to hear what progress you've made with this. I suspect a letter or two from a lawyer might be why DC is responding with a buyback notice....