It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Should you cut your loses and trade it in?
YES...What a piece of junk 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
MAYBE...I am tired of the shudder and TSB's 21%  21%  [ 15 ]
NEVER...you'll have to pry my dead hands off the wheel 78%  78%  [ 56 ]
Total votes : 72
 Post subject: I LOVE MY CRD....now stop your whining please
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Man I stopped coming here because all I read are people bitching. I come back a couple months later to read up on the TC recall and HOLY CRAP it got worse.

I have a 2005 with 21k and absolutely love it. I have get over 30mpg on higway in FE mode on SP 90hp kit, plus I can do a smokey burnout and tow a 4k pound boat. Paint is great, leather looks new, tires are still 75% and AC blows cold. Cost $24,800 and is still worth over $20k....who is better than me?

Man I do have that crack in my windshield.....should I get Daimler to buy it back VIA lemon law?

Please people lighten up some or trade it in and be happy....Trade in is VERY good you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

People that can't afford to trade it in, like myself, tend to get a little edgy with the constant TSB's and recalls, lost time at work without pay, family life disruption, and absolute disregard for customer respect and fair treatment.

Trade in value is NOT good - about 55% depreciation in one year compared with 7% on my previous Honda. Hence, my vote for MAYBE, Getting Tired - as that's how I feel right now...

Maybe in a month I'll feel better, things will be running great after the current 6 days in the shop, and I'll no longer be tired... 8)

I would say that votes in the MAYBE and NEVER category are still positive votes for the CRD. :wink:

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.

Last edited by alljeep on Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: I LOVE MY CRD....now stop your whining please
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

biggiefl wrote:
Man I stopped coming here because all I read are people bitching. I come back a couple months later to read up on the TC recall and HOLY CRAP it got worse.

I have a 2005 with 21k and absolutely love it. I have get over 30mpg on higway in FE mode on SP 90hp kit, plus I can do a smokey burnout and tow a 4k pound boat. Paint is great, leather looks new, tires are still 75% and AC blows cold. Cost $24,800 and is still worth over $20k....who is better than me?

Man I do have that crack in my windshield.....should I get Daimler to buy it back VIA lemon law?

Please people lighten up some or trade it in and be happy....Trade in is VERY good you know.

Life throws you a mixed bag. Gotta take the good with the bad. I love this board for its' exuberant highs and for it's desperate lows.
It's the total experience of ownership, one day your up and running and life is good, the next day you may experience a slight issue or catastrophe and your down.
At least these threads try to have a balance.

New EGR Flow Control Valve @ 25,020 miles
New Transfer Case input/output seals @ 32,787 miles
SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles
SunCoast TC and Transgo Shift Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I know sometimes it seems like only the "bad" gets coverage but if you look at the "bad items" they are not that numerous. I know that they significant but "overall" it seems like the CRDs deliver what they promise. DC may not always act fast enough for most of us and thier solutions might not "always" seem the best, but lately it does seem they have taken a few steps forward. The EGR problems seem to have been on the decline with the new ULSD (which can't be blamed on DC). The Lower Ball Joint Issue is ongoing and I still don't think they have a viable solution. The tranny issue is still out to the jury. Some people with the new "F37" flash are happy with the new parameters. I have had an engine replaced...supposedly the only complete failure out of the total 11,200+ CRDs in the states.

All that bing said, I think most people are happy with the torque, power, mileage, 4x4 PT/FT attributes, safety factor, ect. Some simple things I like...turning radius, ESP, Traction Control, ROM, Brake Assist, ABS and the L.O.S.T. Forum of course.

We will continue to chase down and therefore "hear" about any problems and take for granted the attributes for the most part...unsung praises.

The one BIG PROBLEM DC has created is they have spoiled us with a vehicle THAT CAN NOT BE REPLACED at this present date. There is nothing out there like the CRD!

*** A little Whining is not a problem, especially if it is your TURBO SPOOLING UP***

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Last edited by DarbyWalters on Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Although the future of my Tranny is still in question I have had zero problems otherwise. And I wouldnt trade this thing in unless it was the VERY last option.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have only had minor issues (3 out of 4 glow plugs replaced), and do love the little rig. However, my fear is that DC isn't really supporting the vehicle anymore and only make half assed attempts to fully fix a vehicle that a specific niche put faith in. I have never bought anything other than Ford or a diesel product, so this is my first dealing with them and scares me. I see what Ford did to its specific niche car(s) (Taurus SHO, etc) and I see DC going the same route, although hopefully its too soon to come to that conclusion

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
SAMCO Hoses//GDE Tune//PML Trans Pan//TransGo HD Shift Kit//MBRP Exhaust

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RTStabler51 wrote:
I have only had minor issues (3 out of 4 glow plugs replaced), and do love the little rig. However, my fear is that DC isn't really supporting the vehicle anymore and only make half assed attempts to fully fix a vehicle that a specific niche put faith in. I have never bought anything other than Ford or a diesel product, so this is my first dealing with them and scares me. I see what Ford did to its specific niche car(s) (Taurus SHO, etc) and I see DC going the same route, although hopefully its too soon to come to that conclusion

I used to think the same thing but you have to remember that the diesels (Jeep) are a big seller in Europe. The VM428L is in more than a few vehicles including the Dodge Minivan and Sprinters.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

DarbyWalters wrote:
RTStabler51 wrote:

I used to think the same thing but you have to remember that the diesels (Jeep) are a big seller in Europe. The VM428L is in more than a few vehicles including the Dodge Minivan and Sprinters.
I don't disagree, but it seems that the problems associated with the CRD aren't specific to the engine are stemming from lack of dealer service and knowledge to properly service and prevent certain issues, and DCs, what seem to be band aid, attempts to fix the tranny issues plagueing some and same with the EGR valves.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
SAMCO Hoses//GDE Tune//PML Trans Pan//TransGo HD Shift Kit//MBRP Exhaust

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Pffft....Whining!

I have had 3 recalls with my CRD. That is NOTHING compared to the pain and torture that my wife and I had to deal with when we owned a 1999 ML320. In four years of owning that "turd" we had the following replaced

1: Short block
2: All door gaskets.
3: Sunroof gaskets
4: Transmission
5: Transfer case
6: CD changer
7: Cup holders
8: Window switches, regulators.
etc........

I will take my CRD over anything else out there.

The worst two cars that I have ever owned were a Chevrolet Vega and that "turd" ML320. The E320 that I traded in on the CRD comes in a close third.

Eric

Post subject: Re: I LOVE MY CRD....now stop your whining please
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:59 pm 
LOST Addict

biggiefl wrote:

Don't believe the vast majority is whining, more like remaining vocal until DC comes out of denial and fixes their engineering mistakes. The F37 recall is a positive step forward for those of us who want to keep it but want it fixed. They have announced other recalls (LBJ & software) but this the first time where DC admitted a CRD-specific mechanical defect and started a comprehensive campaign to fix the problem.

Every ownership situation is unique. If this were a 0-down lease, I would have pitched the keys & walked a long time ago. In my case, this was a purchase thus trading and taking a loss would be a second mistake, compounded by the loss of the sales taxes already paid. No, DC is going to fix this machine and I don't care how much it costs them. I already invested my money with little choice but to ride this out through the warranty period.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:05 pm 
LOST Member

It's not whining; it's concerns & input voiced by extraordinary owners (with perhaps a few extraordinary vehicles mixed in) that all go towards making this forum is an outstanding resource! And, the more participation we have, the better. You have to keep the negativity in perspective, as the positives are naturally hardly ever voiced. If we could articulate all the positives this vehicle offers, most of which we take completely for granted, it would surely drown the few lines of critique we see here. No vehicle is without its faults. The question may be whether the CRD has more at fault than others, but I don't know. It certainly has some very significant positives. Most here seem to love their CRD in the end, as a couple recent threads seem to indicate.

03/15/2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD w/86,000 mi. Engine lube pump, Provent, V6 airbox mod, Magnaflow, gauges, Amsoil all around, & Wix air filter. Sunroof drain blocked on receipt, stubborn fuel leak at 2200 mi, 3 jammed windows, & 1 bad alternator decoupler, but it's still a keeper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:01 am 
LOST Member

Why do people whine about other people whining???

:shock:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Special Agent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:28 am 
LOST Member

Last night when my wife arrived back home she informed me that the CRD quit on her twice once in the middle of an intersection while making a left turn across traffic and then again on the entrance ramp on to the highway.

She then went on to say she would rather have her Gas Guzzling Jacked Up Suburban with the Big Noisy Tires back because she never had to worry about it making it back home. She said that if the recall doesn’t fix the problems she wants a different vehicle because the CRD is the biggest piece of crap we have ever owned and doesn’t feel safe driving it.

Post subject: I Love My CRD, Now Stop Your Whining
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've had my CRD since April of 05. Had a bad problem the first month I owned it. The dealer stayed on it and was finally corrected. It's got 25,000 miles, been to Moab, Red River, NM, and Lake City, Col. Also pulls a 4,000 lb. travel trailer at 60 mph. The dealer here even calls me when there is a recall. Right now plan on keeping it for at least 200,000 miles.
At 20,000 miles, installed a Predetor Module. Now runs like a sports car and gets 2-4 better mpg. Noticed the new diesel seems to make it run a little quieter.

My theory on the problems a lot of people are having is the poor quality of diesel in the US. These European motors just weren't made for it. Also, there seems to be a wide difference in dealer service. Mine's not perfect, but they really try.

Post subject: Re: I Love My CRD, Now Stop Your Whining
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Desert Dog wrote:
My theory on the problems a lot of people are having is the poor quality of diesel in the US. These European motors just weren't made for it. Also, there seems to be a wide difference in dealer service. Mine's not perfect, but they really try.
How right you are my friend. I have talked more then one through fuel problems here by PM's and will probably do it as long as I am a member here on the forum.

Our HSD (High Seed Diesels) were designed for 50+ cetane clean fuel, little of which can be found here in the US. Most fuel will be 42 cetane and if you are buying at the wrong place water, dirt, and even used motor oil is often dumped into tanks.

The same happens at the gas pumps also, the local Dodge dealer see's one or two a month. They had a Dakota at the dealer the other day with water and trash in the gas tank and it had to have a new pump. Now a diesel pump is 10 times as costly as a gasser fuel pump, so they have better filters in place that can be changed on regular basis but this also cases other related problems like filter clogging or fuel line loose and allowing air into the system..

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

When I bought the TDI in 2002 the dealer told me to run Power Service Diesel Kleen(Cetane booster) every 3rd tank. It costs about $10/gal and lasts about a year or more. I add about 5-6oz every 3rd tank and NEVER had any EGR problems with both diesels. Try it.

The main thing is the problems are small an usually taken care of, not as if anyone is getting towed home on a daily basis like you would be if you had a new Jaguar back in the days. My Jetta TDI was a piece but the engine ran smooth(shuttered as well) but she got 45mpg and did her duty until 73k when I traded it on the CRD. The Jeep is so much better built and has so much more power.

My only complaint is I lose a quart of oil about every 4-5K mles. I have even run Amsoil($9/qt) and it was worse than the Mobil 1. Dealer said it is because I am running 5W-40. This time I am running 0W-40 and we'll see...been 1k and still good.

F37 & Ball joints next Wed....whooohooo!

1980 Corvette Purple 400hp
2001 HD soft tail Deuce Black
1985 Honda ATC 250SX Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:59 pm 
LOST Addict

biggiefl wrote:
When I bought the TDI in 2002 the dealer told me to run Power Service Diesel Kleen(Cetane booster) every 3rd tank. It costs about $10/gal and lasts about a year or more. I add about 5-6oz every 3rd tank and NEVER had any EGR problems with both diesels. Try it.

The main thing is the problems are small an usually taken care of, not as if anyone is getting towed home on a daily basis like you would be if you had a new Jaguar back in the days. My Jetta TDI was a piece but the engine ran smooth(shuttered as well) but she got 45mpg and did her duty until 73k when I traded it on the CRD. The Jeep is so much better built and has so much more power.

My only complaint is I lose a quart of oil about every 4-5K mles. I have even run Amsoil($9/qt) and it was worse than the Mobil 1. Dealer said it is because I am running 5W-40. This time I am running 0W-40 and we'll see...been 1k and still good.

F37 & Ball joints next Wed....whooohooo!

You should lose LESS with 5W, Unless you have a leak somewhere it is either going out through you CCV or getting past your turbo seals, have you checked you hoses to and from the intercooler?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Could be a classic case of over filling as did a lot of VW TDI drivers over the years. The full mark on our CRD is about a 1/4 inch below the factory mark on the oil dip-stick. If you completely drain and replace the oil filter and refill with 6.4 quarts (6 quarts and 12 oz) of oil you will see that after it is started an run a short while then let sit for several hours or over night you will probably find it about 1/4 inch below the full mark. If you bring it up to the full mark with the rest of the oil in the (for 7 qts or 6 3/4 qts) jug then the CCV system will just suck it out, all I do is just put 6 qts in and 5,000 miles later to bring it back up where I have it marked is just a few oz's from the jug.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:59 pm 
LOST Member

While I think we all need to keep up the pressure on DC to fix this vehicle right, and that includes keeping honest postive and negative feedback flowing I am sticking with it. Decent vehicle and quite frankly I have owned alot of DC products (Jeep and others) and have had numerous, major problems under warranty, most qualified as complete pieces of crap till the bugs got worked out (negative). Only reason I keep buying is they make the vehicles I want and to date they have been fabulous about their warranty service (positive).

I am sticking with the CRD myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:22 am 
LOST Newbie

I put in 6.5 qts. In about 5k miles I am usually at the add mark. I will have them look at it when she is in for the F37. This time I did notice a little oil around the trans pan, sure hope it aint the rear main.....for Jeep I mean ;)

1980 Corvette Purple 400hp
2001 HD soft tail Deuce Black
1985 Honda ATC 250SX Red