It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chrysler offered me an extended warranty on my CRD
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:35 am 
LOST Newbie

If you read some of my posts, you know I have the CRD from h3ll and it qualifies for lemon law. This afternoon the dealer called me and said the their Chrysler rep is offering me any extended warranty or I can pursue the lemon law. They didnt have all the details of the warranty offer yet, but I think it will be the top tier 7/100 warranty.

I am leaning towards taking the warranty offer and dropping the lemon law case. My reason being, I dont know what else there is to replace the CRD. So what would you do if in my shoes? Do you think by 100K I will have all bugs out? If the Jeep Grand Cherokee was out now I would take a buy back and get that, but its not out and dont know when that will be either. Options are limited right now. I am happy Chrysler has been accommodating thus far.

Post subject: If you like it...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:11 am 
LOST Addict

If you have a good dealer, and have another car to drive, or it includes a rental... then why not take it. I would not take it if it were a soccer mom's daily driver-- but in a case like yours or mine- then it is worth considering. You can probably still sell it for a decent amount after the warranty expires and get something else then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:35 am 
LOST Member

macd,

It sounds like you have been successful in getting someones attention :D

Samco hoses
Weeks Stage 1
PMF EGR plug kit
ARP Stud
Cracked CAC repaired with epoxy filler

Post subject: LONGER!!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:18 am 
LOST Addict

They are offering you a warranty that could probably be bought for somewhere around 3000 dollars (just a guess) I would tell them that I want a 10yr 150,000 mile whichever comes --LAST-- warranty. I suppose if you plan on getting rid of the CRD Before the 7/100 is out anyhow it would be a good deal, but I plan on keeping our CRD for at least 300K. We have put on nearly 20K in 6 months so it wont take long :shock:

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You need to find out what other options are available. Some folks were offered full MSRP of their vehicle to be used as a trade in value for another DC product.

Also, check lemon law for your state. Cash back is different from state to state and there is a deduction for mileage driven. You need to know exactly what you will get when the lemon law is applied.

In addition, the Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD is just around the corner - it is supposed to be out in January. The extended warranty 7/100 Max Care was had for as low as $850 from some dealers when you purchased a new vehicle. Others got it for around $1100. Now, after the fact, it's a good $2900.

It also depends on if you can afford a more expensive vehicle than the Liberty CRD if you get cash back from lemon law. Lots to think about so start doing your research...

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:40 pm 
LOST Member

I was offered a free warranty and I took it, if you want the jeep take it, but this would be a good time to get out. I wasn't offered a 0 deductible though. The representative said "at this time this is all I can offer." So check the deductible and see if you can get a 0$ mine is 50$.

Skids, lift, 235x85 Toyo Open country A/T
Glasspack Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sounds like your dealer is willing to put their money where their mouth is with extending your warrenty. I'd take it as if they can fix the problems you've been having then you'll have a CRD working well. It also gives you another 40K to find all the problems and get them fixed for free.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L hemi, LT headers, magnaflow exhaust, AFE CAI, 6.1L Cam, transgo shift kit, Programmer, 2800stall converter. 1/4 mile 13.71@97.7mph and I can still haul. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

[quote="alljeep"]
In addition, the Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD is just around the corner - it is supposed to be out in January. The extended warranty 7/100 Max Care was had for as low as $850 from some dealers when you purchased a new vehicle. Others got it for around $1100. Now, after the fact, it's a good $2900.

quote]

I'm amazed that anyone would even consider a first year production Jeep product. I'd wait a year or two for the bugs to get worked out of the next generation of crap to come out of DC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just got off the phone with the service manager. I have been given a 7/100 $0 deductible bumper to bumper warranty on my CRD. I took it. I put about 20K miles a year on, so that it will take me another 3.5 to 4 years to hit 100K. At least I wont have to worry about any repair bills, period. If its still having issue after that then I sell it and get the newest, latest and greatest.

There really is not replacement vehicle at present either. I have to tow a boat and I have to have 4WD. If I just needed a grocery getter it wouldnt matter. I traded my RAM QC for my CRD because the RAM was pathetic at towing and sucked gas as fast I could put it in. I didnt want to be the guinea pig on the Jeep GC CRD and start over either.

So if I have issues they come and get my Jeep, give me a loaner car and it doesnt cost me a dime. Seems like a win/win situation for me. Plus, I can keep coming to L.O.S.T and complain about my CRD :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:08 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok, so what were the conditions that made them offer this to you?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeger wrote:

This was his previous thread from a few days ago. An estimated $12,000 in warranty repairs and it eats lots of oil......

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=15328

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

alljeep wrote:
Jeger wrote:

This was his previous thread from a few days ago. An estimated $12,000 in warranty repairs and it eats lots of oil......

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=15328

That pretty much sums it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Drewd wrote:
alljeep wrote:

quote]

I'm amazed that anyone would even consider a first year production Jeep product. I'd wait a year or two for the bugs to get worked out of the next generation of crap to come out of DC.

The Liberty CRD wasn't really a first year production the, diesel was offered outside the US since it's introduction in 2002. The 2002 Liberty was rated the best fit and finish and initial quality of the whole DCX lineup. My 2002 gas was flawless, with the exception of ball joints and we arent the only ones that had ball joint issues. My son inlaw is on his second set in 60 on his Chevy 4 x4. The CRD EGR issues were new because they probably didn't have all the EGR crap on the export model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine has the factory 7/70 and I am CONFIDENT that I will not even think twice about keeping her after 70k. Tomorrow she goes in for the F37 so I will keep posted how that goes and if they detected any Pulse from the SP stage 2. I should probably not be posting that on Cyberspace either.

1980 Corvette Purple 400hp
2001 HD soft tail Deuce Black
1985 Honda ATC 250SX Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:26 am 
LOST Addict

kjfishman wrote:
Drewd wrote:
alljeep wrote:

quote]

The Liberty CRD wasn't really a first year production the, diesel was offered outside the US since it's introduction in 2002. The 2002 Liberty was rated the best fit and finish and initial quality of the whole DCX lineup. My 2002 gas was flawless, with the exception of ball joints and we arent the only ones that had ball joint issues. My son inlaw is on his second set in 60 on his Chevy 4 x4. The CRD EGR issues were new because they probably didn't have all the EGR crap on the export model.

True on it not being a "first year". I am still looking in on the EGR issue as I am sure there is a EGR on the KJ and GC CRD's. They are very strict on emmisions here and all 2006 diesel PKV (passenger cars) had to have a particle filter on the exaust. So for me selling my KJ to a German national would be expensive for them as they would have to fit it with a DPF before registration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:18 am 
LOST Junkie

Due to weight class of the KJ, '06 and '07 CRD KJ BUX vehicles didn't require DPF to pass EURO III. The '08 BUX vehicles (KA, JK with next-generation Panther engines) have DPF for EURO IV homologations. No worries would be had for selling the NAFTA vehicle in Germany, at least re: DPF/emissions.

BUX vehicles don't have the TVA (Flow Control Valve/butterfly) active, just required control of EGR and VGT turbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:45 am 
LOST Addict

MrMopar64 wrote:
Due to weight class of the KJ, '06 and '07 CRD KJ BUX vehicles didn't require DPF to pass EURO III. The '08 BUX vehicles (KA, JK with next-generation Panther engines) have DPF for EURO IV homologations. No worries would be had for selling the NAFTA vehicle in Germany, at least re: DPF/emissions.

BUX vehicles don't have the TVA (Flow Control Valve/butterfly) active, just required control of EGR and VGT turbo.

Ok, this is the second time I have seen mention of Panther engines or panther modifications. What is the deal with that?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

Panther is the new engine family from VM that is being used to replace the current R2816/R428 engine that's used in KJ (was also used in RG minivans for export). It shares the same displacement (2.8L), however it is an entirely new design from the ground up and has no commonality with what you're used to. The block is a conventional bed-plate design vs. the current tunnel-block design, cylinder head is now a "conventional" dual-side design (separate intake and exhaust manifolds like a normal inline 4-cylinder engine) vs. the integral cam cover-intake manifold of now, entirely new engine controller with new-generation glow plugs, different CP3 pump (uses in-take lift pump vs. built-in low side suction on KJ), piezo injectors, etc. etc. It's a very quiet engine (compared to current VM), extremely powerful, and currently has no problem meeting EuroIV standards.

Post subject: Re: Chrysler offered me an extended warranty on my CRD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:12 pm 
LOST Member

macd wrote:
If you read some of my posts, you know I have the CRD from h3ll and it qualifies for lemon law. This afternoon the dealer called me and said the their Chrysler rep is offering me any extended warranty or I can pursue the lemon law. They didnt have all the details of the warranty offer yet, but I think it will be the top tier 7/100 warranty.

I am leaning towards taking the warranty offer and dropping the lemon law case. My reason being, I dont know what else there is to replace the CRD. So what would you do if in my shoes? Do you think by 100K I will have all bugs out? If the Jeep Grand Cherokee was out now I would take a buy back and get that, but its not out and dont know when that will be either. Options are limited right now. I am happy Chrysler has been accommodating thus far.

How did you go about getting them to offer the warranty? Who did you talk to or call about this? My CRD is in about the same boat, and I am hitting about 30K miles now.