It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chafing vacuum line on your CRD?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:39 am 
LOST Member

Okay, I'm looking around the engine bay checking things out (trying to see what's not connected that's giving me crappy mileage 14US/18Imp mpg in the city :shock: ) and I notice the twinned vacuum line leading from the boost circuit vaccum resevoir just aft of the air cleaner box rubbing on top of the air conditioner drier assembly on its way to the turbo assembly. P/N 92125242AE. I lifted the black rigid vacuum line(s) and can feel indentations on the underside of it and see brightened rubbed spots on the aluminum A/C drier outlet pipe immediately below the vacuum line. This should not be happening, I figure, so my questions are 1) has anyone worked on the engine system and mis-routed the aforementioned vacuum lines? and 2) if there is breakage/leakage of the vacuum line, could it be causing my abyssmal mileage due to some effect on boost levels? Pic coming when able...

TIA, cheers
Duey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:08 am 
LOST Member

Update...mod to a stock photo, will post the actual photo after I get a real pic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DnA

I thought my mileage was bad. It's averaged about 19MPG (US gallon). My driving is 99% short trips stop and go :!: But it is double what I got on My cherokee so I'm happy :D Mine is also Atlantic Blue so it must be the color :lol: I sold my Jetta tdi to my son. I just looked at my 06 crd and there are two vacume lines in that area but they are both under the ac line by a good ways. The larger one on mine appears to be going to the turbo. Make sure that on is completly on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:52 am 
LOST Addict

I have seen some of what you describe as I installed a Provent in that hole. I used some wire loom/hose to shield and zip-ties to secure some of those lines but my situation was compounded by running the bracket holding the Provent across the lines. One thing you want to look at is the vaccuum controller for the turbo. It lifts straight up & out (look for the blue rubber mount) and was probably removed if you ever had a TCM replaced. Found that you have to reassemble with some care to get the lines to lay cleanly and not rub.

Would not know for certian if a leak would cause poor mileage. Would more likely see poor performance and a CEL. I do know this engine eats fuel in stop & go traffic. My mileage drops off sharply if I miss-time my commute and get caught in the expressway crawl.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

Joe, interesting that your lines go below the A/C line, that's kind of what I was thinking should happen, going above definitely forces them to rub on the a/c line. RF, thanks, I'll take a look to see what is going on in the vicinity of the turbo vac controller as well.

For the mileage, I definitely know something is going on there....I have a 4L V8 BMW 540 that is getting better mileage! :shock: The Libby is going in for F37, F31 (to which there is some discussion as to whether F37 flash supercedes or compliments F31) and the F23 LBJ replacement, so maybe it can be attributed to a s/w problem. I'm also going to ask about 18-023-06 (ECM/TCM, SKIM and other updates) and see if that does anything.

I followed Oldnavy's advice to make sure there wasn't a damaged/clogged air filter assembly casuing any issues.

Joe, as I told Oldnavy, I'd kill for a DCX equivalent to the VW VAGCOM scanner/programmer I use on my TDI to have entire electronic visibility to all systems' status and control everything right down to fuel injection timing and what speed my doors lock at.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll report back on what I find.

Cheers,
Duey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

[quote="DnA Diesel"]
Joe, as I told Oldnavy, I'd kill for a DCX equivalent to the VW VAGCOM scanner/programmer I use on my TDI to have entire electronic visibility to all systems' status and control everything right down to fuel injection timing and what speed my doors lock at.

I've got a vag-com also and it is fantastic. It worked on the OBDII stuff on the 96 and 99 Cherokees I had. I can't get it to work on my crd. Maybe after F31 I'll try it again on the obdII mode. Maybe we can get Uwe to buy a CRD :D

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:38 am 
LOST Member

Joe Romas wrote:
DnA Diesel wrote:

I've got a vag-com also and it is fantastic. It worked on the OBDII stuff on the 96 and 99 Cherokees I had. I can't get it to work on my crd. Maybe after F31 I'll try it again on the obdII mode. Maybe we can get Uwe to buy a CRD :D

Joe

Joe, now there's an idea!

p.s. I disconnected the lines from the vacuum module and reattached them under the a/c line. That looks much better...no interference now. I wonder if that means the dealer was in doing something? No recall work had been done on the Libby even with a Nov 05 build date on it...we got it as a demo with 15k on it.

Cheers,
Duey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:20 pm 
LOST Addict

DnA Diesel wrote:
Joe Romas wrote:
DnA Diesel wrote:

Joe

Joe, now there's an idea!

p.s. I disconnected the lines from the vacuum module and reattached them under the a/c line. That looks much better...no interference now. I wonder if that means the dealer was in doing something? No recall work had been done on the Libby even with a Nov 05 build date on it...we got it as a demo with 15k on it.

Cheers,
Duey

When you get some time to comb over this vehicle, you will see a lot of lines crossing at right angles. The first one I moved was the coolant line running across the top of the core support. Where it goes behind the RH headlight, crossed over & under the metal A/C line. That is a pressure line to the surge tank. Rub a hole in that line, you are going down. Now have it sheathed and zip-tied to the A/C line.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:03 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks RF, that's a good find. I had a surge tank line go on me once...like you said, she's a show stopper!

Cheers,
Duey