It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

Got Diesel wrote:
Simple,Do a Google search and then cut all 3 of them open.Guess what the Mopar is..

All I was asking is for you to share why you feel the way you do. You are making statements and offering no data to backup those statements.

I am not trying to be rude, but the person who stated this thread is asking for advice and would probably like to know the reasoning behind the statements you make. I don't feel it is very helpful to tell people to do a google search or tell them to guess. The point of forums like this is so that we can share with each other our knowledge. If you have already cut all three open, then share your knowledge on the subject since none of us have cut them open. That's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:21 pm 
LOST Member

Got Diesel wrote:
Simple,Do a Google search and then cut all 3 of them open.Guess what the Mopar is..

If I wanted to play "hide and seek", I'll grab my 5 year old daughter.
Your recent posts are contributing minimally anything at best.

Greg

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject:
LOST Member

Used the NAPA 1516 filter on the first 2 oil changes. Crossed that over to a Fleetguard LF3339. Got a couple of Fleetguards for the next oil changes.

2006 Limited CRD 4x4 Inferno Red, GDE ECO tune

Post subject:
LOST Member

I have a better Idea,When VW brings it's new SUV Diesel I am going to Dump this POS.Then at least I will know what I am up against.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

Let me revisit my earlier post and say that the general concensus seems to be to use the OEM filter. Also, from reading many others posts here, it seems the overall concensus is to use OEM filters for a couple of reasons.

a) Using an OEM filter eliminates the filter as a possible excuse for the dealer or DCX to refuse warranty service. Even though it shouldn't matter, you never know what to expect if you take it in for a problem.

b) The OEM filters are made in italy which is where the engine originates and is designed for the 2.8 CRD Diesel engine. Many of the aftermarket filters use the same model for both the 3.7 gasser and the CRD. They may be fine, but I would rather use a filter that is specifically mated to the engine in your vehicle by the mfr of your vehicle.

I am not a filter expert, but I would want a filter that is designed for the engine because of the difference between Diesel and Gasoline engines. It seems to me that a filter shoudl be specific to the application. I know GM uses the same filter across different engine types and models, but these are all gasoline engines.

In the end, it may not make a bit of difference what filter you use, but IMO I will sleep much better at night using the OEM filter for the reasons I state above.

P.S. I LOVE MY CRD!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:

Unless napa filters are made in Italy I seriously doubt the oem filter is a napa.
I love napa filters and would use one for the crd if they made a crd specific filter. They list the same filter for the 3.7
Would jeep use two different filters unless they had to?? They tried to do that with the trans. and look how that turned out!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:45 pm 
LOST Member

Ok,Cut open a Napa Gold Filter and then the OEM,then you will see for your self.I have cut all 3 open and read the data on the filters..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Only filters I have cut open are the k&n and the oem. The filter on the k&n was larger and the bypass valve was a different style. I must say that the oem filter was extremely well made also. It is also the same price for an oem vs. a napa gold. Since you know the data on the filters I'm wondering what is the open/close psi on the bypass valve for both the filters? Napa lists theirs but I can't find the oem specs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:08 pm 
LOST Addict

GD what I would like to know is how you tell the difference in the density of the filter media (to what micron it will filter) by just looking at it, how you tell the pressure relief is correct for the vehicle it is used on, does the anti-flowback work properly or does it leak back, what is bursting pressure of the case/body just by looking. You have been ask that by at least one individual what if any proof you have for your statement and you didn't answer the question, so I will assume you are not making any kind of proper observations or doing any kind testing to document your abservations.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:14 pm 
LOST Member

Call NAPA and thay can give you the spec on the filter as well as the parts department at the dealership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:15 pm 
LOST Addict

If it looks good.. it must be good! :P Kinda like basing your tire purchase on "they look really cool"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Got Diesel wrote:
Call NAPA and thay can give you the spec on the filter as well as the parts department at the dealership.
Man that is what I am talking about, a lazy, lame answer with no facts, just telling people to go on a Easter Egge hunt for the answers. If you want to be seen as a person who knows what he is talking about, quote your facts and then post a link to your reference if it is needed or where you came about the facts or information.
I think most here are begining to look at you as dolt or half wit that hasn't any real clues as to what you are taking about, that or just a trouble maker.

So step up if you can and let people see you are someone who knows what they are talking about and in that course make some real postings that benefit us al here at the LOST forum.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Man that is what I am talking about, a lazy, lame answer with no facts, just telling people to go on a Easter Egge hunt for the answers. If you want to be seen as a person who knows what he is talking about, quote your facts and then post a link to your reference if it is needed or where you came about the facts or information.
I think most here are begining to look at you as dolt or half wit that hasn't any real clues as to what you are taking about, that or just a trouble maker.

So step up if you can and let people see you are someone who knows what they are talking about and in that course make some real postings that benefit us al here at the L.O.S.T. forum.

Well said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just went to the WIX site and they listed the same filter for the V6 3.7L and CRD :shock: They make the NAPA filters so I guess it's off to the dealer for a filter :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:32 pm 
LOST Member

Walt,I have posted the way I have because you have ticked me off yet again,and at least I am honest unlike your friend KERMA...or should I post the poop on him? of course not ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Seems this may go back a little beyond lost ?

But I for one would really like to know what you think, I usually get a kick out of your breif posts, but would like a bit more on this one. I have been running the WIX filter and now cant decide whether to stick with it or not.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:36 pm 
LOST Member

Here is the true test,use a the correct oil and I use T&SUV 5-40 and send the oil off for testing in a few months I will post my results and the oil filter I am using then the facts of whats really going on in the motor,will be known.Now enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:38 pm 
LOST Member

Send a sample for testing and this is the prof ,never mind what I have to say or any one else.It's all Greek to me and yea I do Speak Greek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:28 pm 
LOST Addict

I have done oil samples on both a k&n and an oem oil filter. The results were better with the oem. These were samples with less than 20k miles on engine though so it could be the engine still breaking in. The oem filter was installed after the k&n filtered sample. With 24k on it now the last sample was finally "normal" and the wear metals are going down. Next sample is recommended @ 7k miles. I would hate to see them @ 12k as jeep recommend. Please post your samples as I would switch filters if yours was better and I knew the filter specs were the same. My samples are posted here except for the latest one. I will add it soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:28 am 
LOST Member

GD, whats up with the KERMA bashing? That has no place here.

"Send a sample for testing and this is the prof ,never mind what I have to say or any one else.It's all Greek to me and yea I do Speak Greek."

Thats nice too, I speak German and Chinese.

Good luck with a VW TDI SUV being any less of an adventure than the CRD is.

I'd like to know the difference between the 3.7 and the 2.8 oil filters. D/C recommends the same oil, I'm guessing the CRD filter might have some sort of soot control but I can't imagine 3.7 filter would do any damage. Also, does the CRD take more oil than the 3.7?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next