It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seat Heater Installed!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just installed a heater seater on my wife's CRD as a Christmas present. The install took 2 hours and was fairly easy and works great. I should have done this a while ago but better late than never.

Thought I share this with fellow CRD members who may have been comtemplating an install but were weary. The kit I bought was almost idiot proof!

Because I was pressed for time-I had to install the seats while wife was out-I could not take pictures and do a technical writeup. I can however list the steps I took.

1. remove seat belt on both the seat and anchor point. Needed a large torx bit for the seat belt bolt on the seat
2. Remove seat bolts (actually 3 bolts and 1 nut). Used a 15mm socket and 18mm socket to accomplish this.
3. Remove seat from vehicle
3. Remove plastic facades on sides of seats using a philips head screwdriver
4. Using a 10mm socket, remove the four bolts that secure the seat back to the seat frame. Remove seat back and set aside
5. Using a 10mm socket, remove the four bolts that secure the lower cushion seat assembly from the frame.
6. Using a screw driver, pry the seat fabric retaining clips on the lower seat cushion. Pull fabric back and you'll notice that the location for the seat heater elements are already premarked and Jeep already has a hole in the cushions to route the cables.
7. Attach heat seater element and reinstall fabric/clips.
8. Do same for seat back cushion.
9. Route power cables under carpet to fuse block, drill hole in dash, insert switch, zip tie everything and viola, you are practially done.
10. Reinstall seat back into place and check operation.
11. Watch grin on wife's face when she realizes her but is getting warm.

Last edited by Drewd on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

That is awesome. I love seat heater/ air conditioner. I rented a Cadillac on a trip to Washington that had a seat air conditioner. It was sooooo nice after the hikes to have cool air blowing on your back. I love the heaters as well, very nice here in Utah right now.
Where did you get the heater, how much was it and what brand? Do you have a limited or sport? Does it matter?
Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

ya sweet mod do you have to have leather seats to install them or will cloth seats work ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

You can install in cloth or leather seats.

This is the kit I installed: http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/heatelcarsea.html

Yes, you can find kits much cheaper but this one is electronically controlled with a shutoff timer, is MOPAR licensed, and unlike cheaper kits this one has 3, not 2, temperature settings.

I put the switch on the removable panel on the dash that is convenient (close) to the fuse box. The switch looks like it belongs there, it is perfect and looks OEM.

The link I posted has a video which I watched before I made my purchase. The video convinced me how easy it was to install the heater.

I'll take some pics of the switch location and post here sometime after Christmas.

Post subject: SEAT HEATERS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:21 am 
LOST Newbie

What is the year model of your wife's CRD , cause in the list of cars in the referred site only up to 2004 LIBERTY models are inluded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

You may not be ordering the same one I did.
I had the option to get one specific to the 06 model on their order menu.

Your Shopping Cart
Item Options Unit
Price Qty. Subtotal
GM & Mopar Licensed Car Seat Heater Kit - Model Specific

[Remove]
Make & Model: Liberty
Material: Cloth
Options: Optional Switch Harness Extensions
Switch: Optional Switch Bracket
Year: 2006 157.95 157.95

Subtotal for Sports Imports Ltd: 157.95
Keep Shopping

FYI, the seat heaters has been installed for almost 1 month now and BOY, they work great! In fact, I can only use them on the lowest setting because the high and medium are very warm. I only use high setting to do a quick warm up.