It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stalls after startup after sitting for several hours
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

My latest problem, after sitting for several hours, I start and drive a few feet and it dies. Wont restart, just turns over, the first time this happened was last Friday at work, I was going out to get a few last minute Xmas gifts at lunch. But, there I sat in the middle of the parking lot unable to start. I just got it back from the F37 recall Tuesday, so I assumed that it might be related, also the night before I experienced a loss of power, wouldn’t go over 40 mph, the shifts were very jerky and the CEL came on. But, that went away after I let it sit for about an hour, the CEL even went off. Now getting back to last Friday, I was working at a different office about an hour and a half from my usual office in southwest New York State near the PA border, that’s how I ended up with the CRD in New York, bought it in Pennsylvania and that’s where the dealer is that did the recall. I called the dealer and they advised me to have it towed to a local dealership near where I was, I called them and told them what I was driving, the CRD, they refused to work on it. I called the DC customer assistance phone number, they told me to have it towed to the dealer that I’ve been using to do the work, which is fine but, who’s going to pay for the 80 mile tow? Since I have over 50,000 miles on it I would have to pay for the tow unless it was covered under the 7/70 warranty, which is pretty limited. I told them to go ahead and have it towed figuring it was something to do with the recall and they would pay the tow. While waiting for the tow truck, I thought I’d try a few things, one of which was priming the fuel system, that plunger above the fuel filter. After several tries it started!. I canceled the tow truck! I did take it to my CRD friendly dealer on Saturday and they seemed to think it was just dirty fuel, algae in the injectors and the fuel filter. They replaced the fuel filter, added some diesel 911 and charged me $140.00. Well, problems still there, stalls after running for a few seconds. When I primed it, I noticed that the sensor on the left side of the fuel filter housing seems to be leaking, could that be allowing air in the line, creating an air pocket in the fuel system? Anyone else have these symptoms? And is it an easy fix?

05 CRD Limited G pkg
Leather(heated), Sunroof, Sirius,
RB1 Navigation Radio, IPod intergration kit
Trac Loc, Towing Pkg...
Thule rack & Box
coming ARB & Frankenlift, if I can keep it running long enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There is a post about that exact thing...happenned to me. They will have to replace the Fuel Filter Body Housing ... AND ... refund some of the previous $$$ spent (excluding the fuel filter proabably unless you push them on the issue.

The rest of thier "quess work" was wrong and YOU should not be made to pay for thier backyard mechanics. There has to be a way for them to test fuel pressure and they should have check that UNDER WARRANTY! Honestly, they should be checking for leaks using the primer first thing...5 pumps...3 seconds...bubbles.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Last edited by DarbyWalters on Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is the previous post:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=14947

P/N 52129237AA Separator-Fuel/Water Separator ( it should probably comes with some small O rings for the two sensors

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

this sounds like another battle to try to get it covered under warranty! Can the sensor just be resealed or does the whole housing have to be replaced?

05 CRD Limited G pkg
Trac Loc, Towing Pkg...
Thule rack & Box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

New housing and it is a warranty repair...should be NO ISSUES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

The issue might be 50,000 miles and off of the 3/36 warranty. Not sure if the 7/70 would cover fuel systems, would be cool if it was.

05 CRD Limited G pkg
Trac Loc, Towing Pkg...
Thule rack & Box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

looking at the fuel filter, the plug on the right with what looks like a red and black wire coming out is where, I'm pretty sure the leak is in the fuel system. When I prime the system, when it won't start, I get a little bubbling and sometimes a little smoke, kinda scary! But then it starts and runs OK.

05 CRD Limited G pkg
Trac Loc, Towing Pkg...
Thule rack & Box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:54 pm 
LOST Addict

nycrd wrote:
looking at the fuel filter, the plug on the right with what looks like a red and black wire coming out is where, I'm pretty sure the leak is in the fuel system. When I prime the system, when it won't start, I get a little bubbling and sometimes a little smoke, kinda scary! But then it starts and runs OK.

That plug on the right is to your heater element so if you are seeing a leak at this point it needs to be replaced. It appears the this section can be replaced independent of the rest of the filter head. Someone else on this forum had a crack in this section.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.