It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Eats Oil??
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Anyone have any idea why my CRD keeps eating oil? The dealer has no bright ideas and DCX acts like they've never heard of it before? I go through a qrt every 1000-2000 miles. Several times I've checked my oil and never had any other dipstick! I've already had a turbo replaced, could that be where its ending up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:11 am 
LOST Junkie

I think that sounds a little excessive. How many miles do you have on your CRD? I take it there aren't any indications of an oil leak (e.g. spots on the driveway or road where you park your CRD, wet oily residue on the underside of the vehicle). Does it seem to smoke excessively like when idling?

I have almost 7k miles on mine and it doesn't use any oil at all in between changes. Hopefully it isn't something serious like an engine problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:08 pm 
LOST Member

Wow, a quart every 1-2k mi is way too much. Could be a blown/badly leaking turbo seal or an obstruction in the CCV system somewhere causing an incresed vacuum in the crankcase vent line and sucking oil through the intake. You could undo the cold air charge line (fat black hose with red lining, leading from intercooler outlet on left side of a/c condensor/intercooler/radiator assembly and see how much oil comes out of the pipe. Comparing that (which is "downwind" of the CCV 'puck') with the compressor discharge tube (which would indicate a leaking turbo oil seal) for oil would indicate where the oil is being drawn from. The CAC hose and compressor discharge tube are just adjustable screw clamps (flat screwdriver or hex).

Cheers,
Duey