It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: love the CRD but,
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Bought the CRD because of the off road and on road ability (I drive 154 miles a day to work and back on secondary roads in western NY), comfort (got the Limited with Sirius, RB1 etc) towing capacity and most importantly, mileage. The first year of ownership I had the usual problems EGR’s, transmission flashes etc, but, it was under warranty and the dealer had loaner cars. Now, we are on a trip to visit family in Virginia Beach and it died in Northern VA. Got it in to a dealer last Wed and they are still trying to fix it. Meanwhile I’m paying for a rental car, cause till they determine what the problem is they wont know if its covered under the 7/70000 or not(got 51,000 on it now). What it appears to be causing problems is the fuel separator on the firewall leaking air in to the system, that, the dealer claims would cause the problems I was experiencing, rough shifting a lot of shuddering over 55, much worse than normal and at times not able to go over 45 MPH. Could they be right? Could that have been causing all the problems all along with shuddering? And do I have a chance of getting this covered under warranty? This is getting a little expensive and I didn’t get any extended warrantees. Plus they won’t get it in the shop to replace the part till this coming Tuesday and I’ve got a long drive back to NY to be back to work Wednesday assuming that’s the problem. I love this vehicle but…

05 CRD Limited G pkg
Leather(heated), Sunroof, Sirius,
RB1 Navigation Radio, IPod intergration kit
Trac Loc, Towing Pkg...
Thule rack & Box
coming ARB & Frankenlift, if I can keep it running long enough!

Post subject: Re: love the CRD but,
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:28 am 
LOST Addict

nycrd wrote:
What it appears to be causing problems is the fuel separator on the firewall leaking air in to the system, that, the dealer claims would cause the problems I was experiencing, rough shifting a lot of shuddering over 55, much worse than normal and at times not able to go over 45 MPH. Could they be right?

Yes...If you are not getting smooth, air-free fuel delivery you will get many strange behaviors out of a diesel, most commonly loosing power under peak-load conditions. This system (like most diesels) is suction fed between the pump (which is on the engine) and the fuel tank. Even a slight air leak can cause major problems. These leaks are very difficult to find as frequently they don't leak fuel outward, but air inward. However, the photo you posted a few weeks back was showing some dampness around the heater element, a good sign of a leak.

nycrd wrote:
Could that have been causing all the problems all along with shuddering?

Most likely. You will know more after it gets fixed.

nycrd wrote:
And do I have a chance of getting this covered under warranty?

Unfortunately no because of the 51K miles and being serviced by a dealer which you don't have a prior business relationship.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:35 am 
LOST Junkie

It would be interesting to hear what the outcome is. You aren't the only one that is getting air into their system. I have 7k on my 2006, and there is some dampness around the hose clamp that connects to the fuel filter housing. A lot of us may have had this problem from day one, and over time it is getting worse. Mine has a problem with the shuddering, and it will really buck and shudder (like it's going to stall) after hard accelleration. But it only does this for a minute or so and then it is okay.

It makes more sense that it would do this after hard accelleration because when you step down hard, it has to suck more fuel ...hence more air getting into the system when if you have a leak.

I am going to try to bleed the air out of mine and tighten that clamp a little this weekend to see if I can get the problems to go away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:48 am 
LOST Junkie

Most filter leak problems on diesels can be found with lube oil. Just pour some around the gasket area and if your problem goes away you know where it's at. If your filter has a bottom bolt or drain put a small tray of oil there to immerse it in. Side fittings squirt some oil around the fitting, if it leaves a nice smooth ring around the fitting it's ok, if it sucks a hole in the oil ring it's not. I would use an inexpensive heavy weight oil for these tests like 30 wt for instance. You can also build a clear plastic line on vacuum side fuel systems and see where the air bubbles are coming from. I usually build a nice long line so I can put a droop it it, helps me watch things better when there is a bit of up hill travel built into the system somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This could be your problem and it should be covered under warranty

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=14947

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject: Re: love the CRD but,
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

nycrd wrote:
]And do I have a chance of getting this covered under warranty?
Unfortunately no because of the 51K miles and being serviced by a dealer which you don't have a prior business relationship.

If it solves the problem of the shuddering that I have been complaining about all along, I think I might have a case, but it would be a tough fight

05 CRD Limited G pkg
Trac Loc, Towing Pkg...
Thule rack & Box

Last edited by nycrd on Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

DarbyWalters wrote:
This could be your problem and it should be covered under warranty

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=14947

Even with 51,000 miles?

05 CRD Limited G pkg
Trac Loc, Towing Pkg...
Thule rack & Box