It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a long road trip.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What are some suggestions to do before a long road trip in my CRD? I am replacing the fuel filter this weekend becuase i'm at 22k miles and will be well over 25k by the time i get back from AZ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Take Some Power Service with you. Can help with not so good fuel. Try to plan ahead on fueling locations, not necessary but you dont want to have to stop at some two bit fueling station and end up with a real fuel problem.

If you like to use Biodiesel:
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiese ... lingsites/

Check air filter of course.

Get together a good travel safety kit, non perishable food, blankets, shovel, first aid, etc...you probably know the drill
Basic tools.
Take an extra fuel filter with you.
Make sure your tires are in good shape, incl. spare.
What else?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

Bring along an empty milk jug. Its a long way between fillups

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeger wrote:
Take Some Power Service with you. Can help with not so good fuel. Try to plan ahead on fueling locations, not necessary but you dont want to have to stop at some two bit fueling station and end up with a real fuel problem.

If you like to use Biodiesel:
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiese ... lingsites/

Check air filter of course.

Get together a good travel safety kit, non perishable food, blankets, shovel, first aid, etc...you probably know the drill
Basic tools.
Take an extra fuel filter with you.
Make sure your tires are in good shape, incl. spare.
What else?

Thanks for the link i'll print that out so i know where to stop for bio. I have to bottles of power service, basic tools in the car. all i think i'll need is the fuel filter, some non perishable food and posibly some extra fuel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:58 pm 
LOST Addict

If you are going on a long trip why would you risk putting bio in it. I would think your chances of getting bad bio are much greater than getting bad ulsd. Taking a fuel filter is also pretty useless if you just changed yours. If your new filter plugs with bad fuel your replacement filter will follow shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

onthehunt wrote:
If you are going on a long trip why would you risk putting bio in it. I would think your chances of getting bad bio are much greater than getting bad ulsd. Taking a fuel filter is also pretty useless if you just changed yours. If your new filter plugs with bad fuel your replacement filter will follow shortly.

Think about not having a spare fuel filter if the old one clogs and you're 50 miles from any town. Even if the new one lasts 50 miles, it beats walking to town.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My wife and I take long road trips somewhat frequently. Our long and detailed check list is geared to make sure the vehicle is going to run the most efficient. I try to get the best mileage possible, so we make sure the tires are filled to the maximum recommended PSI, we check the air filter, and make sure the engine oil is good to go (Synthetic is the best). As you already know, carry along an extra fuel filter. Check the spare tire for proper pressure, and make sure the jack is packed and ready to go. I would grease all your fittings, check the serpentine belt, windshield wipers, windshield fluid, transmission fluid, cooling system, and power steering fluid. I flush the brake system every 2 years or 20,000 miles and change out the power steering fluid every 3 years or 30,000 miles, and I would flush the cooling system every 2 years or 20,000 miles if I were using secular coolant fluid. I use AMSOIL Coolant, which is a better longer lasting coolant with lubrication properties. So, maybe some of these ideas might help.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:31 am 
LOST Addict

onthehunt wrote:

I have never thought of bio as a risk, everytime I have run it the little bugger seems pretty happy. The highest I have ran was B20, usually you cant find higher than that anyhow.

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with commercial biodiesel? .

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:43 am 
Biodiesel Enthusiast
Biodiesel Enthusiast

Jeger wrote:
Has anyone ever had a bad experience with commercial biodiesel?

The only bad experience I ever had was my own fault. I went up into the mountains for a weekend (~10,000') without checking the forecast. I had diluted my half empty tank of B50 down to B25 but didn't add any Power Service anti-gel. Suffice to say that the wind chill got down to -30°F and my tank turned in to a block of goo. I'll add that when this happened I hadn't yet found the block heater cord. D'oh!!

Don't be an idiot like I was and you should be okay. Lesson learned.

L.O.S.T. # 068768
Rock Lizard Skink Sliders, Skid Row tranny skid, Wet Okole seat covers, Black Widow roof basket, front tow hooks, cargo/pet partition, all Amsoil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PowerService also has something called "911" I think. It is supposed to fix many maladies in an emergency situation.

http://www.powerservice.com/diesel_911.asp

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

According to a lot of test data, BIO is actually a better lubricant and provides longer engine life over straight diesel and in some applications resulting in better fuel economy. Now if you are a “at home BIO maker” then there may be a risk if you are still learning and experimenting. But once you understand the procedures and how to test the fuel itself, it would be a good choice and highly recommended. But like mentioned above, if you are going into the cold zone then be prepared. I lived in Northern New Mexico for 3 years at 7,000 feet. It wasn't unusual to see 40 to 50's for day time highs and wake up with -20 degrees.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:09 pm 
LOST Member

Weegie5 wrote:
Jeger wrote:
Has anyone ever had a bad experience with commercial biodiesel?

The only bad experience I ever had was my own fault. I went up into the mountains for a weekend (~10,000') without checking the forecast. I had diluted my half empty tank of B50 down to B25 but didn't add any Power Service anti-gel. Suffice to say that the wind chill got down to -30°F and my tank turned in to a block of goo. I'll add that when this happened I hadn't yet found the block heater cord. D'oh!!

Don't be an idiot like I was and you should be okay. Lesson learned.

Windchill won't freeze anything, if it did your thermometer would reflect windchill temps, but we all know it doesn't. Air temp. is the number to look at, forget windchill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:23 pm 
Biodiesel Enthusiast
Biodiesel Enthusiast

midwest wrote:
Windchill won't freeze anything, if it did your thermometer would reflect windchill temps, but we all know it doesn't. Air temp. is the number to look at, forget windchill.

You called my bluff. Saying -30°F wind chill is more dramatic than the -13°F that the actual dry bulb (ambient) temperature was. Either way, it was knee-knockin' cold.

L.O.S.T. # 068768
Rock Lizard Skink Sliders, Skid Row tranny skid, Wet Okole seat covers, Black Widow roof basket, front tow hooks, cargo/pet partition, all Amsoil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

I just put 2,000 miles on my wife's CRD last week. Didn't take my TDI because of snowstorm risk along route. Worst mileage was 19mpg and best was around 26 mpg. Lots of mountain driving with speeds between 80-85 mph.

CRD performed flawlessly. Don't like the new tranny programming. This thing used to NEVER downship going up a 6% slope but now does post reflash.