It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auto Tranny 101
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

Okay, I'm confused about some things. Currently, in all gears except the highest 2 (where the TC actually locks up), the engine revs quite high if I put my foot into the pedal much. 2500-2700RPM. This changed after the last reflash that they did on my vehicle, which they did "as part of my ball joint recall."

As has been discussed elsewhere. this is a different behavior from the way things originally operated. I didn't take notes back then, because I didn't know I needed to. But I recall that the engine didn't have to rev as high to move the vehicle along before this last flash.

Also discussed elsewhere was a heavy-duty TC that you can get with a stall speed as low as 1500RPM. What is the stall speed of the current converter? How would a TC with a 1500 RPM stall speed behave differently, if at all, given that the tranny is computer controlled?

Thanks!

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject: Re: Auto Tranny 101
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

BUMP

greiswig wrote:
(SNIP)
Also discussed elsewhere was a heavy-duty TC that you can get with a stall speed as low as 1500RPM. What is the stall speed of the current converter? How would a TC with a 1500 RPM stall speed behave differently, if at all, given that the tranny is computer controlled?

Thanks!

What, no answers at all? I figured this was an easy one for a group of this automotive sophistication!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:56 pm 
LOST Addict

You're not the only one looking at it. I guess the best answer is everyone is trying to figure out what our options are. Check over on the "Aftermarket Info" thread, we've found some candidate TC's, just trying to figure out which would be the best way to go.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

retmil46 wrote:
You're not the only one looking at it. I guess the best answer is everyone is trying to figure out what our options are. Check over on the "Aftermarket Info" thread, we've found some candidate TC's, just trying to figure out which would be the best way to go.

Thanks, Retmil...I've seen the threads, and the candidate TC's. What I'm trying to figure out is how it would change the behavior of the tranny to have a TC with a different stall speed in it? Especially if we don't know what the delta is between stock and aftermarket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:19 pm 
LOST Addict

greiswig wrote:
retmil46 wrote:

Thanks, Retmil...I've seen the threads, and the candidate TC's. What I'm trying to figure out is how it would change the behavior of the tranny to have a TC with a different stall speed in it? Especially if we don't know what the delta is between stock and aftermarket?

that's why I've got my local tranny guy involved, I'll be getting back with him this week to pick his brain and find out just what it would do to this beast to say, put in a Fuel Miser TC with a 1200 rpm stall speed.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

retmil46 wrote:
greiswig wrote:
retmil46 wrote:

that's why I've got my local tranny guy involved, I'll be getting back with him this week to pick his brain and find out just what it would do to this beast to say, put in a Fuel Miser TC with a 1200 rpm stall speed.

I would LOVE to hear what he said. Please do let us know, and I appreciate all the research you're doing on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

Oh, Retmil,

One other thing to ask your tranny guy: is there any reason to believe that the stock tranny pump will have a hard time maintaining sufficient pressure to run an aftermarket TC properly, given that it this may be an issue for low RPM running with the stock TC?

Thanks!