It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: where has all the oil gone?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have had the crd for only a few month and about 2000 miles of driving. I check the oil regularly and it consistently is low when I check it. I then refill it to max and repeat as necessary.(used about 2 quarts of rotella) The thing is I don't have any oil spots in my driveway... no black smoke coming out the exhaust....where did it go??? More importantly what is this a symptom of?

Post subject: Re: where has all the oil gone?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:12 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

snowman_crd wrote:
I have had the crd for only a few month and about 2000 miles of driving. I check the oil regularly and it consistently is low when I check it. I then refill it to max and repeat as necessary.(used about 2 quarts of rotella) The thing is I don't have any oil spots in my driveway... no black smoke coming out the exhaust....where did it go??? More importantly what is this a symptom of?

You are over filling it and the oil is going into the intercooler. Try this....leave the oil level down 1/4 inch from full. I bet it stays there like mine does. You see, they miss marked the dip sticks. Sweet huh?

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

BVCRD wrote:
snowman_crd wrote:

You are over filling it and the oil is going into the intercooler. Try this....leave the oil level down 1/4 inch from full. I bet it stays there like mine does. You see, they miss marked the dip sticks. Sweet huh?

he is correct, I had the same issue when I got my crd new in 05. Ever since add only 6.5 qts when oil changed and it never drops. I marked the new full level on the dipstick with a scratch on the dipstick (just like a internal Chrysler service note in the system...) Before I found out and only added 6.5 (the actual is supposed to be 6.4 but...) I had exactly what you describe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

X3, mine works it way down to 1/4" below full mark too.
I love my CRD, but I will buy a stack of bean counter targets and take them to the range and put holes in them. Anyone know where I can buy the targets?

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the response guys...It seemed to settle much farther down than a quarter though. Just a quarter above MIN. Have I caused any damage by putting this extra oil in unnecessarily?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:37 am 

I don't think so. All that oil in the intercooler isn't good. Some had to have gone into the intake manifold so you will need to check the MAP sensor. See the write up in the TECH section. To find your own personal oil level, just let it settle down on the stick and check it frequently to make sure it goes no lower. Next time you change your oil, carefully measure out 6.4 qts of oil. BE EXACT!! Don't go by the oil jug as being 4 qts. It you look at several in the store, you may see as much as 1 inch difference in the level of the jugs.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:56 am 
LOST Addict

don't feel dumb for this I did the same thing I was filling mine to the max like with every other car I had before. I thought that if they made a max line then filling it to that was good thing cus the engine would have the full amount of oil it was to get. but in doing so all the oil above between the middle of the marks was collected by my Provent and wasted. for the last few weeks I have let it as is and its not dropped. Just find the level where yours will keep hold of the oil and make a mental note of it or scratch it in the stick like others said.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had a brand new MAP sensor when I bought it...and it was pretty dirty. I will change my oil next weekend and make sure to be precise about the amount I fill.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:30 am 
LOST Member

Or you can get a Big Mobil 1 M1-301 Oil filter (or equivalent) and dump in a full 7 quarts like I do. :5SHOTS:

Skid Row Engine and Fuel Tank Skid Plates, straight pipe, modified air box, Tow Hooks, 245/70/16 Hankook ATM RF10s, Kennedy Lift Pump,Home Made Provent, Husky Liners throughout, Wet Okole seat covers, All J Products Rear Storage Shelf, Fumoto, Frozen Rotors-Cross Drilled and Slotted, and Bilsteins all around

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

I bought 10 WIX filters from someone on Craigslist...are they the standard amount of oil or more than that?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:31 pm 

Hard to say without a part number to look up, but you want the taller skinny sized, not the shorter but bigger around ones.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:59 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
Or you can get a Big Mobil 1 M1-301 Oil filter (or equivalent) and dump in a full 7 quarts like I do.

I think I priced the filter that Eurekaboy suggested:
http://liberty.eurekaboy.com/oilfilter.htm and it was a lot more expensive than the regular filter. What do you pay for the Big Mobil 1 M-1-301?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 am 

I don't see the point of the bigger oil filter. Yes more oil might mean a tad cooler engine, but probably not. Thermostat controls that. Might mean longer oil life...maybe. A half a qt of oil isn't going to make much difference there. Still black as coal 50 miles down the road. What it might do is add more filter media to the mix and be able to actually filter for a longer period or be able to stay in better shape longer. I might buy that. Makes measuring out the oil easier as long as you do the math and calculate exactly the capacity difference between the 2 filters. Filling it with 7 qts of oil (big filter) may not be the answer though, since you would be over filling it by 3.2 oz. Food for thought.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:41 am 
LOST Member

I usually get the M1-301s for about $10 per filter. They're the cross reference size of the PH8A that Fram makes.
As for the bigger filter, I dump in a full 7 quarts, start her up and idle for a few then check the level in a few minutes. Always perfect. It's never smoked or had the "crankshaft slap" of running too much oil.
This filter size was debated a few months back in this forum and I went from running the top of the line Fram Extra Guard to the Mobil 1 301 due to some links that some users posted. The site was great, had all kinds of information about oil filters and which were good and which were junk.
In all reality, can bigger filter hurt? No
Do I feel like measuring 6.4 qts? No
I have used full synthetic since day one and change at 6,000 intervals. My father had a 92 Corolla that had over 350,000 miles on it when he sold it. He was never one for maintenance, in fact we had to always remind him he was over due on his Valvoline 10w-40 and plain orange Fram filter from KMart. Point is, that car lasted and never had any issues and used regular oil. If we're all using synthetics and are changing on a regular basis, this little diesel should easily last 500,000 miles. My guess is we'll be driving rusted out shells of a vehicle as the thing we'll probably have fallen apart by then.

Skid Row Engine and Fuel Tank Skid Plates, straight pipe, modified air box, Tow Hooks, 245/70/16 Hankook ATM RF10s, Kennedy Lift Pump,Home Made Provent, Husky Liners throughout, Wet Okole seat covers, All J Products Rear Storage Shelf, Fumoto, Frozen Rotors-Cross Drilled and Slotted, and Bilsteins all around

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:49 am 

NJCRD wrote:
I usually get the M1-301s for about $10 per filter. They're the cross reference size of the PH8A that Fram makes.
As for the bigger filter, I dump in a full 7 quarts, start her up and idle for a few then check the level in a few minutes. Always perfect. It's never smoked or had the "crankshaft slap" of running too much oil.
This filter size was debated a few months back in this forum and I went from running the top of the line Fram Extra Guard to the Mobil 1 301 due to some links that some users posted. The site was great, had all kinds of information about oil filters and which were good and which were junk.
In all reality, can bigger filter hurt? No
Do I feel like measuring 6.4 qts? No
I have used full synthetic since day one and change at 6,000 intervals. My father had a 92 Corolla that had over 350,000 miles on it when he sold it. He was never one for maintenance, in fact we had to always remind him he was over due on his Valvoline 10w-40 and plain orange Fram filter from KMart. Point is, that car lasted and never had any issues and used regular oil. If we're all using synthetics and are changing on a regular basis, this little diesel should easily last 500,000 miles. My guess is we'll be driving rusted out shells of a vehicle as the thing we'll probably have fallen apart by then.

....................or, in 10 years when fuel is $10 a gallon, they will make target practice objects.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If fuel gets to $10/ gallon, you will find a biodiesel transesterification center in my living room - durn the space taken up. . . .

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:08 pm 

linewarbr wrote:
If fuel gets to $10/ gallon, you will find a biodiesel transesterification center in my living room - durn the space taken up. . . .

Yea. The smart folks all say it isn't IF fuel runs out buy WHEN. There will still be gas and fuel, but CHEAP gas and fuel will not be available. When that happens, I'm going back to Alaska where I don't need a ride. Crap, food will cost more to be flow in. Guess I'll just have to shoot a moose.