It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Think before you go to a Dealership
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I’ve decided to NEVER take my Vehicles to a Dealership again. I know that sounds pretty stupid, but I’ve learned that even a 5 STAR Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealership doesn‘t mean a hill of beans. Most of these service departments don‘t have a clue nor do they really care about customer satisfaction and quality until you call Chrysler headquarters and complain. The lack of knowledge is overwhelming and watching mechanics come and go is like watching a revolving door. I do realize that there are “few” dealerships out there that provide excellent customer service but even that can change over night. I’ve always had great success from reputable down home mechanic shops. You know, the kind of shop where people seem to hang out and talk about hot rods and fast cars. The type of shop that might have beer in the refrigerator and Snap-on calendars posted on the walls. Even the type of shop that will bend over backwards to help you out, make home service calls, or even give you a ride until you get yours fixed! After relocating to Missouri we took the CRD and Cummins into one of these down home shops that everybody said did good honest work. I stepped inside the shop and said, “I’m lookin’ for the best mechanic shop in town.” A gentleman (who happened to be the Shop Owner) replied, “You’ve come to the right place.“ I explained that I had relocated and was frustrated again with another failing dealership experience. He seemed to understand as if he had heard that same story before. After telling him what I needed done he requested that I leave the CRD overnight to let the hot transmission fluid cool and drain completely. I had everything changed to Amsoil Synthetic including the oil/filter changed, transmission filter/fluid changed, and the front/rear differential fluid changed. Upon completion the guy who serviced it took it for a spin to make sure all the fluids were up to level and no leaks were detected. He commented on how neat the CRD was and was really impressed with the “Zip” it had. We talked about exhaust and air intake modifications. It was very rewarding to do my research and have my vehicles serviced at a shop that looked forward to servicing it. Most of all, I felt like it was done right! The owner even suggested and recommend that I take any of my diesels to a specialized Diesel High Performance Shop for any major work or upgrades as those guys are diesel gurus and live, eat, and sleep anything diesel. So again, I would take my CRD to a diesel shop before going into a dealership for any major mechanical shop.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:04 am 
LOST Newbie

If you want something done right it is best to do it yourself. I am lucky to have access to a heated shop with a lift so i do all the work myself.

Yeah Its A Diesel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Excellent point. I must admit, when I lived in New Mexico I had my own shop where my tools were neatly organized. I didn’t have a so called “LIFT”, but I did make my own lift by using a Floor Jack and Bottle Jacks supplemented by having four 6 Ton Jack Stands. I even rotated my tires that way. But now that I have relocated and living in a rental house my tools seem to be randomly scattered and I feel pressed for space to work in my single car garage. I do believe it is more rewarding to do as much maintenance and work on your vehicle as you can. Not only can you save money and know the job is done right, but it provides the opportunity to educate yourself and become more acquainted with your vehicle.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:28 pm 
LOST Member

dieselenthusiast I am in Independence MO and I am Also a Diesel Tech and I can tell you witch STEALERSHIP is good and who to run from. Drop me a PM and I will give you my number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

No need for a lift. All you need are 4 ramps. Two in front and two in front of rear tires and that gives plenty of room to do work under the CRD. I just knocked out my diffs and transfer cases and saved a small fortune over what dealer would have charged.

Post subject: Re: Think before you go to a Dealership
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

dieselenthusiast wrote:
After relocating to Missouri we took the CRD and Cummins into one of these down home shops that everybody said did good honest work. I stepped inside the shop and said, “I’m lookin’ for the best mechanic shop in town.” A gentleman (who happened to be the Shop Owner) replied, “You’ve come to the right place.“

Howdy, neighbor! Where in SW MO are you at? I'm about 25 miles south of Springfield.

I gotta ask which diesel shop you took it to? I'd love to know where to take this thing to once it is out of warranty. I do my own work on the GM 6.5 turbo diesel I have, but this VM is a little more intimidating...

My CRD just got back from Springfield Jeep after a 3 week backorder on the TCM and there was a white CRD there waiting for the same part. They did give me a loaner car and were accomodating, but I would be quite upset if I were paying for this "service" out of pocket...

NEW RIDE: 2008 Flame Red JK Unlimited X 24S Dual tops, Auto, PW/L, Infinity Sound system, Sirius, Tow pkg, side steps
Added: Black fuel door, 7 pin Trailer lights, uConnect + iPod kit, bikini top, AutoPage 2-way alarm, Flexatrunk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:13 pm 
LOST Member

Independence mo give me a call , sent you a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:27 am 
LOST Member

Indep., MO huh? Have you had any experiance with Speedway CDJ in Lansing?

K

Deer Killer Mod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:07 am 
LOST Member

Nope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Kniggit,
I assume you mean Lansing, KS. Please let us know about Speedway CDJ.
Lewis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:43 pm 
LOST Member

Yes, thats the dealer that sold me, No recals performed as its a later model. I had them test drive it about the higher shiftpoints then the 05 I test drove about two years ago. They said its got the newest software, and if they changed the shiftpoints my mileage could even go down, and that I should get it past 15,000 miles before I get really concened. Going to be hard as my wife hit a pair of deer saturday night and its in the shop for that now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

K

Deer Killer Mod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

My CRD is only being serviced by a specializd diesel shop. I do not feel confident in my dealer that could not quote me a price on an oil change and first service they tryed to convince me to just drop off the vechicle and we'll tell you how much when it is done. LOL

I photo copied all of the maintenance literature, oil specifications, parts specifications, & maintenance schedule for my shop and when the vechicle is serviced, my invoice clearly states EVERY item that was inspected, repaired, replaced etc. If I have warranty trouble, I have full detailed documentation of what was done, and that it was done to or beyond the spec provided by the manafacturer. This shop is cheaper, and more professional and pay more attention to detail. They grease every hinge, di-electric grease the battery terminals all without asking.