It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone know how to do a VIN look-up
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:47 pm 
LOST Member

Hi,

I thought I made a pretty good purchase until I read this forum! :shock:

I just bought my Libby, 14k miles (can't buy new diesels in Mass unless they are >8500#GVWR).

I did the "last 6 numbers" of the VIN look up on the Jeep web site and the only info it returned was "there are no outstanding issues" type of thing.

My build date is 03/06.

On the Diesel page someone can do a GM VIN look up for info. Can anyone here do that type of thing???

C.

Yes I'm old enough to know better :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mine was built a month before yours and I have had no real issues yet. 28,000miles........ You will be fine....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:32 am 
LOST Member

Thanks....

That's why I bought an '06 hoping that most of the bugs would be worked out after the first year.

She is a fun little car to drive and I haven't had the off road capability like the Libby since I had my old '74 HI Scout II....

I know what you are thinking, but, the old Scout was a true "stump puller".

I know its cold but when I go over the ruts in my road, (I live on a dirt road) the front end squeaks really bad. I was thinking maybe ball joints?? It really sounds like and old cars springs over extending and creaking but... I'm not talking trail type stuff here just shallow "pot-holes" that are more like going over speed bumps.

Straying off topic I know...

I was wondering just how to figure out if there was a place I could get more info on my specific build?

C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Jeep website has a link to ask questions - if you give them the vin number they'll email a complete build sheet.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=7926&highlight=build+sheet

for front end squeeks - on the 4x4 Forum someone added grease nipples to the front sway bar
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=16273&highlight=grease+sway+bar

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=12494&highlight=grease+sway+bar

FYI - 2005 I'm at 30,000 miles and the only problem was the EGR valve, repaired under warranty - no other problems. every time we've done a poll most people haven't had problems. One real key is a dealer who knows something about diesels, most only sold 1 or 2 CRD's and don't get much experience working on them.
I've learned much more about potiential problems from the forums - I added a Provent, clean the Boost pressure sensor, check balljoints regularily and if there's a fix for the transmission, I'll get it when the warranty expires - I intend to keep my CRD for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:15 pm 
LOST Member

I believe you can go to jeep.com, owner services and e-mail them asking for the build information for VIN #......
I was e-mailled an extensive print out. It won't give you any history of it's 1st 14K, but you'll know almost every nut, bolt and option built into it.

I have a mid March '06 build with 13K and have had minimal trouble and the blessing of a really good dealership. The rear brakes were replaced because they were screeching in the mornings. It started leaking tranny fluid and coolant last month. On that one, I got a new torque converter, the pump seals replaced, fresh tranny fluid and a new radiator hose. I'm betting you won't have much trouble, but read this forum regularly. It's allowed me to be proactive and when I do have to take it in for repairs, I'm at least aware and able to talk intelligently with the service advisor.

Reading this forum also will give you an idea of basic things you can do to your Libby to help it run better, longer, cleaner and more efficiently: biodiesel, tire replacement, tire pressure, oil and filter types, EHM, air filters, OEM muffler change out. And if you're a serious off roader, there is enough information here to help you spend a few thousand extra dollars.

-Fumoto Valve
-Provent 200, ORM
-Rotella T 5w/40
-V6 Air Box
-245/70/16 Cooper Discoverer CTS
-Amsoil EAA201 air filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:28 pm 
LOST Member

ATXKJ,

Are there instructions and pictures in this forum that can teach me how to clean the boost pressure sensor?
If not, how about making a contribution in the FAQ Sticky section of this forum?

-Fumoto Valve
-Provent 200, ORM
-Rotella T 5w/40
-V6 Air Box
-245/70/16 Cooper Discoverer CTS
-Amsoil EAA201 air filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This was the thread - I thought OldNavy was going to add it to the FAQ -

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=15956&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=boost+pressure+sensor&start=0

okay he did add it - only it's labeled ' AIR INTAKE TEMP SENSOR'

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=15249

The 'Painless' PDF also refers to it as boost pressure sensor - I'll have to see if I can find it on the Manual
whether it's pressure or tem p - it gets dirty - it's easy to clean and it affects the performance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:32 pm 
LOST Member

Guess what!!!!

I was poking around in the glove box............... and slipped down behind it............... was the STICKER!!! And, the original owner's name and addy... (registration).

Who'd a thunk it!

Thanks guys this is all great info. I am still going to request a build sheet.... just to see if things match up!

Heading to wally world to get some spray slip-a-cone for those bushings too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dads Diesel.
Yours and my 06's came "detuned" for the whimpy torque converter :!: But there still not right besides the engine being crippled :roll: Let us know what you find out. Mine only has 4800 miles on it and has not died yet but has acted up since mile one :cry: