It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Check Engine Light....any ideas?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:01 pm 
LOST Member

After a year and 8500 trouble free miles the Check Engine Light came on today. It ran fine for awhile then it would lose power and downshift and run like crap. Cycling the power would make it run fine for 15 minutes or so.

When I got home tonight I used my Alex Peper OBDII software to retrieve codes. It didn't find any. I disconnected the battery, but the Check Engine Light stayed on when I started it up. A couple weeks ago I cleaned the MAP sensor and it had ran fine since then. Sunday I fill with fuel and noticed the station had switched over to ULSD.

Any idea what my problem might be before I make an appointment at the dealer? Any idea why my OBDII software wouldn't read the code?

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:24 pm 
LOST Member

It could just be a network code. I pulled a fuse one time for the A/C compressor clutch, and it threw a CEL. Wouldn't put out a code to AutoZone's code reader, but did the key trick to get some unlisted network error code. Had autozone clear it with their reader, and it has been fine ever since.

It's probably just a glitch, clear it and it should be fine. If the code comes back, then you might want to the take it to the dealer.

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:17 pm 
LOST Member

The Jeep ran fine on the way to work this morning. Maybe disconnecting the battery had a positive effect.

Does any have a code reader recommendation for the CRD? I have the Alex Peper system but it's not very user friendly. I'd like to find something that will easily and reliably read GM/Ford/Chrysler/Jeep.

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

Post subject: Re: Check Engine Light....any ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Stan Wright wrote:
Any idea why my OBDII software wouldn't read the code?

How much of the reflash TSB's were done to yours? The F31 recall specifically addresses this issue.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:51 am 
LOST Member

I've never had any reflashes done. I just checked the Jeep website and it appears I'm due for lower balljoints, F21 BCM reflash, and F31. Guess I'll make an appointment and they can see why I have a CEL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:49 am 
LOST Addict

Stan Wright wrote:
I've never had any reflashes done. I just checked the Jeep website and it appears I'm due for lower balljoints, F21 BCM reflash, and F31. Guess I'll make an appointment and they can see why I have a CEL.

Sounds like you have one of the Jeeps that didn't get included in the F37 but gets the F31. When they flash this, you will get the latest software versions available thus afterwards you may feel a performance drop.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:03 pm 
LOST Member

It ran fine all weekend but started running bad again today on the way to work. It's going to the dealer Friday. Hopefully it'll be a pleasant experience. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:15 am 
LOST Member

Just dropped the Jeep off at the dealer and I can't say I'm feeling any love from the service writer. When I made the appointment I told him they could also install the recalls/updates while it was there (F21, F31, ball joints). He said the updates may or may not apply depending on when my Jeep was built...yada, yada. I had already checked the Jeep website with my VIN so I knew what I needed.

When I dropped the Jeep off I had a sheet explaining the problem and I had attached the printout from the Jeep website showing the updates it needed. He only had 'Check Engine Light on' listed on the service request and seemed annoyed that I wanted the updates done, too. He said IF my Jeep qualified for the ball joint replacement he'd put me on a list to get them done. He checked the Jeep update site and he said my Jeep qualified for them. Big surprise, I'm thinking. He had that 'I know more than you do' attitude. Hopefully he isn't indicative of the service I'll receive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:39 am 
LOST Member

Just gotta love these MORONS; nice customer service.

Magnaflow Muffler
Mopar Skids
Mobil 1 5W40
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Amsoil Throughout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

The service writers don't like customers who are as informed as us. The reason being their whole job is to interpret what the customer tells them and write up the orders for the techs. The best way to do it would be to have the customer write down exactly what their complaints/concerns are and then hand that directly to the tech. Very seldom does the service writer write down exactly what you are telling him/her onto the work order....which leads to the tech not getting all the info needed to trouble-shoot the problem..hence the problem is not fixed.

Typical dealer BS.

Post subject: This is what I do.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:58 pm 
LOST Member

I always leave a typed copy of the issue in the front seat addressed to the Tech.

Born on 5-20-2006 @ 7:20pm
Jeep Green, Oil drain valve
Tow Package, Transmission skid plate
EHM2, ORM,
Current mileage 79,000.
Past Jeeps: 63 CJ5,
1994, 1995, 2000 Cherokee,
1995, 1997, 2003 Wrangler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Stan Wright wrote:
Just dropped the Jeep off at the dealer and I can't say I'm feeling any love from the service writer. When I made the appointment I told him they could also install the recalls/updates while it was there (F21, F31, ball joints). He said the updates may or may not apply depending on when my Jeep was built...yada, yada. I had already checked the Jeep website with my VIN so I knew what I needed.

When I dropped the Jeep off I had a sheet explaining the problem and I had attached the printout from the Jeep website showing the updates it needed. He only had 'Check Engine Light on' listed on the service request and seemed annoyed that I wanted the updates done, too. He said IF my Jeep qualified for the ball joint replacement he'd put me on a list to get them done. He checked the Jeep update site and he said my Jeep qualified for them. Big surprise, I'm thinking. He had that 'I know more than you do' attitude. Hopefully he isn't indicative of the service I'll receive.

I hope you didn't go to Westgate CJD in Plainfield, IN because you will get screwed like I did. I realize your in Bedford, but as a heads up, stay away from Westgate if your ever in town.

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.

Post subject: Re: This is what I do.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:57 pm 
LOST Member

kb61751 wrote:
I always leave a typed copy of the issue in the front seat addressed to the Tech.

Now there's an idea!

Magnaflow Muffler
Mopar Skids
Mobil 1 5W40
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Amsoil Throughout

Post subject: Re: This is what I do.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:48 pm 
LOST Member

kb61751 wrote:

I'm hoping the sheet I typed up makes it back to the tech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:50 pm 
LOST Member

alljeep wrote:
I hope you didn't go to Westgate CJD in Plainfield, IN because you will get screwed like I did. I realize your in Bedford, but as a heads up, stay away from Westgate if your ever in town.

No, I took it to Town & Country in Bloomington. Thanks for warning about Westgate. Are there any recommended dealers in south/central Indiana?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:06 pm 
LOST Member

I called the dealer today to check on the status of my Liberty. They said a bad Optima battery was causing my problems and they were waiting on a replacement. Seems like a remember something awhile back about some bad batteries but I can't find anything in the search. Does this explanation sound fishy to anyone besides me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:15 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Stan Wright wrote:
I called the dealer today to check on the status of my Liberty. They said a bad Optima battery was causing my problems and they were waiting on a replacement. Seems like a remember something awhile back about some bad batteries but I can't find anything in the search. Does this explanation sound fishy to anyone besides me?

I remember some folks over on the other forum talking about a bad batch. I bad battery will do some weird stuff. If it isn't holding enough charge to run the systems.......????

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:10 pm 
LOST Member

I had noticed lately when applying the brakes the headlights would flicker for a second. I guess I'll see if it fixes the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:29 pm 
LOST Member

Update: After 3 weeks to the day at the dealer they called and said my Jeep was fixed. No charge. New battery, EGR valve, flow control valve, F21, F31. It took two weeks to get a new battery. After talking to two service managers I think they killed the battery reflashing the Jeep. I'm picking it up tonight after work so I'll report back any odd findings. Since they had it 3 weeks I wish they'd replaced the ball joints, but they said they have a long waiting list. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:46 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Stan Wright wrote:
Update: After 3 weeks to the day at the dealer they called and said my Jeep was fixed. No charge. New battery, EGR valve, flow control valve, F21, F31. It took two weeks to get a new battery. After talking to two service managers I think they killed the battery reflashing the Jeep. I'm picking it up tonight after work so I'll report back any odd findings. Since they had it 3 weeks I wish they'd replaced the ball joints, but they said they have a long waiting list. :?

I thought they were supposed to put it on a charger to guarantee a certain voltage when doing reflashes. Maybe they skipped that part.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?