It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: extended warranty from dealer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:57 pm 
LOST Member

my liberty has about 28K on it now and due to it's past transmission history I was thinking about buying an extended warranty for it. For the 7yr/100K warranty with $0 deductable my dealer is quoting me $2100 (this is a dealership warranty, not a chrysler), the chrysler they wanted $2600. The dealer warranty is good in the 5 or 6 states where the dealership exists. My question is for anybody who has purchased an extended warranty, for lack of a better term, can you "deal" with the dealer and get them to come down on the warranty any?

2012 Jeep Liberty Latitude Edition 4x4 - Brilliant Black, RRO Rockfather II OME lift, 245/70/17 Duratracs

*sold*
2005 CRD Limited 4x4 -Inferno Red- Selec-Trac
SEGR, Grabber AT2's, 2.5" Daystar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:17 pm 
LOST Member

My personal experience is "aftermarket" warranties such as the dealer sold one, are terrible. One thing the warranty is going to be under some insurance company that when it comes time to put in a claim they might not want to pay for O.E.M. parts, also what happens if you travel to another state on vacation and something costly happens to your kj? To save the $500 to me is not worth it. Now if you told me the dealer warranty was half the price and it covered the same as the Jeep extended (even O.E.M parts), also take into consideration if you might ever travel with it, then I might buy it.

PS does the dealer warranty include rental? Good luck!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:09 pm 
LOST Member

redcrd,

the dealer warranty does not include rental it is just 7yr/100k bumper to bumper. thanks for the input!

2012 Jeep Liberty Latitude Edition 4x4 - Brilliant Black, RRO Rockfather II OME lift, 245/70/17 Duratracs

*sold*
2005 CRD Limited 4x4 -Inferno Red- Selec-Trac
SEGR, Grabber AT2's, 2.5" Daystar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The aftermarket warranties generally have some kind of adjuster that has to "approve" repairs...I would get a DC or nothing at all...well maybe not nothing at all...but read the fine print.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have an extended warranty through Chrysler, but it includes the car rental. With the number of times that my Jeep has been in the shop for several days, the rental has been huge!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

I bought the extended warranty when the dealer told me it included free oil changes for the duration of the warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:26 am 
LOST Junkie

Parky wrote:
I have an extended warranty through Chrysler, but it includes the car rental. With the number of times that my Jeep has been in the shop for several days, the rental has been huge!!

Looking at the offficial Chysler warranties said to be discounted at http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/powertrain_care.cfm , the Powertrain Care 7/70
coverage offers a rental car, but only for a maximum of 5 days, or $175 total @$35/day.

I'm confused by the transfer provision for this coverage:

"One-Time Plan Transfer
A service contract can make your vehicle more valuable and easier to sell. Remaining plan coverage may be transferred to the subsequent purchaser of the vehicle at the time of vehicle sale. Powertrain Care allows you to transfer coverage one time to the second owner and ONLY if the 7/70 Powertrain Warranty is also transferred (a transfer fee of $50 applies in most states)."

This sounds like "Powertrain Care" and "the 7/70 Powertrain Warranty" are separate items.

This contrasts with the clear statement for the "Powertrain PLUS" coverage:

"One-Time Plan Transfer
A service contract can make your vehicle more valuable and easier to sell. Remaining plan coverage may be transferred to the subsequent purchaser of the vehicle at the time of vehicle sale. Powertrain Care Plus allows you to transfer coverage one time in the event you sell your vehicle (a transfer fee of $50 applies in most states)."

Quote for the Powertrain Plus 7/70 for a 2006 with 12k miles is $1,235 before an "Internet Discount" of $195

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm new to the forum, but have read countless threads to try to get me up to speed on all of the issues we face with our CRD's. We have a 2006 with 8k miles, and have had it in the shop numerous times with transmission issues, starting with the transmission filter change at 1.5k. Consistently shuddered on accelaration, occasionally bucked. Had the F37 done in December, and have noticed a delayed engagement into drive or reverse twice, and reduced power. Overall, however, has been better than before F37. Took it back to the dealer and voiced our concerns, and discussed a buy back. They had the regional rep and a tech rep inspect it and they found no problems. They called and offered a DC Maximum Care 5yr 70k mile warranty with a $100 deductible and 1 day rental car. Wanted to get input, and see if this might be negotiable down to a $0 deductible, which is one of the options offered on the DC web site. Thanks to all, I have learned much over the last few months from all of your posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:18 pm 
LOST Member

You can definitely "deal" with the dealer on price and I would ONLY buy a DCX warranty. We just had some issues on a minivan that was two days out of extended warranty but for repairs that had been done in the last 6 months. I have to tell you, DCX customer support investigated and I was quite pleased with how they handled everything. The van IS fixed. You don't have that with a third party warranty service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:42 pm 
LOST Member

Its nice to see that some one got paid back for their several hundred/thousand dollar investment. Glad to hear it worked out, but then again its a Minivan, so I would hope they can fix their bread and butter, probably one of the vehicles that helped save the company.

Deer Killer Mod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:21 am 
LOST Junkie

Extended warranties are marketed in a rather deceptive way. For instance, a '7/70,000' is in reality
a '4/40,000'. That's because the 70,000 miles is measured from zero on the odometer and 30,000 miles is already included in the basic warranty. Similarly, the 7 year coverage period is measured from the date the vehicle was first put into service. Thus 3 of the 7 years are covered under the basic warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

Wobbly,
The extended warranty must only be a minimum, or they are real liberal about it as I had my CRD in the shop at Gresham for 17 days and it was all covered on the new Dodge Durango truck rental. Even though it was a V-8 the CRD would have ate it alive and gets almost twice the mpg. Did like the look of the 265/70 tires though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

spoonplugger1 wrote:
Wobbly,
The extended warranty must only be a minimum, or they are real liberal about it as I had my CRD in the shop at Gresham for 17 days and it was all covered on the new Dodge Durango truck rental. Even though it was a V-8 the CRD would have ate it alive and gets almost twice the mpg. Did like the look of the 265/70 tires though.

The Basic Limited Warranty (3/36,000) that comes with the vehicle purchase has NO rental coverage. The official extended warranties have a cap at $175 and/or 5 days of a rental vehicle. Apparently the provision of a loaner vehicle is at the discretion of the dealer.
The dealer's loaner policy might be something to investigate before getting warranty work done. Sounds like you found a good dealer. BTW, Timberline had an '06 with 5k on the clock and they're asking full MSRP of a new unit for it ($30k). Methinks they are targeting upscale naive altruists who think that burning 2% biodiesel will save the planet.