It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrical problem ?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just Joined and I have a 2005 CRD. I read alot of the posts before buying and we still purchased one.
My problem started last week with the throttle light coming on then a second later the battery light came on. I was close to home (about 2 miles) I turned around then the ABS light came on then the head lights started to dim. When I got home the Battery was completly dead. Sound like the alternator right?.
Next day Flat beded to dealer and explained what had happened. One week later I get it back, they tell me they charged the battery and ran the codes, check wiring harness and checked for any draws on the battery. Everything was fine they could'nt find a problem. I take the truck home and drive it for a hour then park it for the night. Next morning it started slow and went into the house to let it warm up. Came out ten minutes later and the truck is off and the back window is open. Tried to start it and it is dead again. Back to a new dealer cause the other dealer does'nt want to work on a diesel.
Does anyone have a clue as to what is up.
Its a 05 with 16,000 miles. It has the EZEE start remote start.The TC was replaced and I guess the computer was reprogrammed. I found the stickers under the hood. I just got it for christmas from my wife She went to Penn to get it cause we live on LI New York. Had it 4 weeks and its in the shop for 1 1/2 weeks.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:09 pm 
LOST Addict

I read somewhere that they had some problems with a few of the optima batteries that come stock, but that wouldnt expain why it would go dead after it was already started. Sounds like the BCM is going all whacky (good technical term huh?) There was a recall to get the BCM reprogrammed for causing dead batteries, but I think that was for 06's? Maybe they fried the poor things brains when they flashed the programming. Whats this EZEE remote start? Could it be causing problems?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

The ezee start remote start came with the truck. Great little thing for cold mornings It worked fine, waited for the glow plugs and then started. I told the dealer it has a remote starter so I guess they will look into it. I hope thats not the problem cause the dealere didn't install it. They could hit me with the bill if it is the problem huh.

Post subject: Electrical Problems??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Had the latest reprograming recall done on my 05 CRD Liberty Sport. Check engine light kept coming on and going off. Got it to the dealer to check, they said it had six error codes and they would have to order a new computer. Still waiting, about a week. The other problem don't know if it is related?? This is the third battery that I have had to put in. Went to start Jeep this morning and it had a dead battery. Called dealer and they said they did not know if any of the error codes were related. They would have to check it when I came in to get the computer replaced. Any ideas?? Anyone had this problem?? I do have the remote start option on the Sport??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

Greg, did you get any new word on the status of your CRD?

Typically with problems like this, you would start by looking at any 'after market accessories' that were added to the vehicle. This could include remote starters, trailer brake controllers, radios, etc. Typically, these devices are manually tied into the vehicle wiring so they are the first place to check for a drain.

With Greg's problem, it sounds like something more than just an accessory draining the battery. If it were just a suspect accessory draining the battery, the vehicle should stay running once you get it started as the alternator will keep a charge on the battery.

Another place to check is your ground wire to make sure it is securely connected to both the battery and the vehicle grounding point.

Connect a multi-meter or a battery charger that tells you how charged up the battery is. If the battery is draining while the vehicle is off, then start pulling fuses and relays one at a time and see if the drainage stops.

Never rule out a bad battery. Bad batteries can often be very hard to troubleshoot because if they haven't completely died, they can work sometimes and not work others. Take your battery to autozone and have it load tested to make sure the battery is good. If you have after market accessories, make note of how they are tied into your vehicle's electrical system and inspect those connections.

ALSO ANOTHER NOTE: Those of you who clean your engine compartments. Many people refer to this as having the engine 'steam cleaned'. This is not correct! You never want to use steam to clean an engine as the water gets into electrical connections and causes corrosion and electrical problems. Just use a good engine degreaser and low pressure water supply to rinse away.

I am sure someone will add anything that I have missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

No word yet about my truck. The crd mechanic was in training last week so he will look at it this tuesday or wednesday. I'll let everyone know the outcome.
thanks for the help