It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low Sulfer Fuel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:31 am 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone noticed a loss in mpg and power when the changed the diesal fuel to this new low sulfer fuel? I no the change had to do with 500 parts per million down to 15 ppm and claim its better for the environment, but it costs more to make, and I've lost about 4mpg.
Also, I no the winterized diesal effects this but the Off Road Diesal stayed with the 500 parts per million and when the off road is used the mpg and power returns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

I switched the "Little Oiler" to ULSD a while back and noticed a slight improvement in performance and mpg....Even with the winter formula.
Here in MN I've found ULSD to be about $.10/gallon cheaper than the 500ppm. I use a fuel additve also as cheap insurance for lubricity.
Also I've noticed that it doesn't hurt these little varmits at all to drive them like you stole it. Seems to keep them performing better.

13 Edge Limited AWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I dont know if its true for sure, but I always drive the hell out of mine once its warmed up. Almost all starts from a stop are full throttle making the turbo work to posted speed limit. Probably better then constantly lugging the engine. I think these engines are made to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm using ULSD for several tanks now and have seen the winter 18/19 MPG, move back up to 21/22 MPG range that I normally have w/o winterized fuel, I have noticed a drastic drop in soot/smoke, faster starts (maybe from boost sensor cleaning), less engine noise, more responsive engine however the price is 5 cents more for it since it is also "premium 52 cetane" fuel according to owner. Owner of the fuel center stated that the fuel is not winterized as the LSD.

My thought's are either you are confusing the ULSD & LSD fuels as to what they are, or you are just buying some crappy low grade fuel even if it is ULSD.

That or there is a loose nut behind the wheel. :wink:

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I also noticed better running, performance and less smoke. No change in mileage, or at least no real drop since it is winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:01 pm 
LOST Member

My CRD runs like a champ on ULSD. No problems what so ever (knock on wood)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:45 pm 
LOST Member

mine seems to run less harsh on the ULSD .. no scientific measurements by me on mpg, but it seems to be a tad better.

hey truckbouy2 ... do they still have all MN diesel at 2% or greater bio? or did they cave to the trucking industry and repeal the law ... ?

Skink super sliders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:47 pm 
LOST Addict

This engine and everything related to it is MADE to run on ULSD. Read your owners manual.

We were KILLING these engines with that LSD crap.

Enjoy your driving... I have noticed an INCREASE in mileage since ULSD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

Marlon_JBT wrote:
This engine and everything related to it is MADE to run on ULSD. Read your owners manual.

I agree but I would still use a fuel additive like Power Service for the added safety of introducing lubricity to items such as the fuel pump. The higher concentration of sulfur in LSD had some marginal merit as a lubricator.

New EGR Flow Control Valve @ 25,020 miles
New Transfer Case input/output seals @ 32,787 miles
SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles
SunCoast TC and Transgo Shift Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:13 am 
LOST Addict

Sulfur is not a lube. It was the extra refining to get the sulfur out that removed the natural lubricant in diesel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:34 am 
LOST Addict

DZL_LOU wrote:
Marlon_JBT wrote:

I agree but I would still use a fuel additive like Power Service for the added safety of introducing lubricity to items such as the fuel pump. The higher concentration of sulfur in LSD had some marginal merit as a lubricator.
Common mistaken thought is sulfur is lube it is not, the pariffin is the lube material and it is basically all removed in the process of making the ULSD and is why there should be no winter effect (winterized fuel MPG drop) for us as no pariffin to cause the jelling so no need to cut with #1 diesel or kerosene from what I have been told.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:53 am 
LOST Addict

But there is a winter mpg drop. The colder it is the more btu's the engine uses to heat up the combustion chamber. Diesel's are more efficient in warmer areas. So are gas engines for that matter. I've lost 1-2 mpg at least this winter. Getting around 300 miles between fill-ups. I never let it get much lower than 1/4 tank though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:20 am 
LOST Junkie

onthehunt wrote:
But there is a winter mpg drop. The colder it is the more btu's the engine uses to heat up the combustion chamber. Diesel's are more efficient in warmer areas. So are gas engines for that matter. I've L.O.S.T. 1-2 mpg at least this winter. Getting around 300 miles between fill-ups. I never let it get much lower than 1/4 tank though.

add to this the fact that the viscous heater is running more often in the winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:42 am 
LOST Junkie

onthehunt wrote:
Sulfur is not a lube. It was the extra refining to get the sulfur out that removed the natural lubricant in diesel.

That is correct sulfur is not a lube and I did not state that sulfur was a lube but that as a by product of higher sulfur in LSD there was marginal effects that the lubricity was higher.

Your correct the hydrotreating process used by petroleum refineries to remove sulfur results in lower fuel lubricity.

SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:47 am 
LOST Junkie

oldnavy wrote:
DZL_LOU wrote:
Marlon_JBT wrote:

Common mistaken thought is sulfur is lube it is not, the pariffin is the lube material and it is basically all removed in the process of making the ULSD and is why there should be no winter effect (winterized fuel MPG drop) for us as no pariffin to cause the jelling so no need to cut with #1 diesel or kerosene from what I have been told.

Check box yes to all your sentences. See previous post.

SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:27 am 
LOST Member

bbo....
You are correct. Here in, "The State Where Nothing Is Allowed" we got the 2% bio. And I think it is on the rise with the newly elected den of Thieves.
Marion-J I think is right on. My 03 Ram runs much better on the ULSD also.

13 Edge Limited AWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:49 am 
LOST Member

I've noticed that Wal Marts (Murphy Oil) USLD seems to do a bit better on mileage (3% or so), and you don't get a cloud of black smoke when you floor the vehicle. But, Shell's USLD does not seem to better on mileage, and the engine sounds a bit noisier when using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:56 am 
LOST Addict

wolcott wrote:
I've noticed that Wal Marts (Murphy Oil) USLD seems to do a bit better on mileage (3% or so), and you don't get a cloud of black smoke when you floor the vehicle. But, Shell's USLD does not seem to better on mileage, and the engine sounds a bit noisier when using it.
Wish the Murphy Oil here at Wal-Mart was ULSD, but maybe in a month or two that will happen.

Here in town none of the stations that sell diesel have made the conversion as of yet, I feel sorry for those who bought '07 diesels.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:34 am 
LOST Member

I've been able to correlate lower than normal MPG, more noise and smoke to fillups at the Shell stations around my house.
I suspect Shell's standard franchise blueprint has the underground plumbing hookups crossed between the men's room wastewater output and the pipes to the diesel tanks.

Tow Package for myself, EVIC TPM
Side Curtain Airbags for my daughter
http://www.kenjennings.cc/crd/dieselexp.html

Post subject: Shell fuel woes?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

KenJennings wrote:
I've been able to correlate lower than normal MPG, more noise and smoke to fillups at the Shell stations around my house.
I suspect Shell's standard franchise blueprint has the underground plumbing hookups crossed between the men's room wastewater output and the pipes to the diesel tanks.

I noticed the same thing around here... runs rougher... crappy mileage...

On the bright side, Old Navy, You should see ULSD at the Murphys sometime in the near future, as our Murphys is pumping it here in Ozark.

NEW RIDE: 2008 Flame Red JK Unlimited X 24S Dual tops, Auto, PW/L, Infinity Sound system, Sirius, Tow pkg, side steps
Added: Black fuel door, 7 pin Trailer lights, uConnect + iPod kit, bikini top, AutoPage 2-way alarm, Flexatrunk