It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD eats oil, DCX says thats "Ok"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I had my CRD in again because it eats a 1qt of oil every 1K miles. This time the SM told me DCX said thats ok, its normal. Has anyone heard of this? They told me its normal for diesels to use oil. DCX would not let them tear anything apart to try and fix it.

Now I have to fill up the oil every time I fill up the tank. What a turd this thing has turned out to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

Heck no that's not normal. Take the vehicle in, tell the SM you want to have him call STAR with you there so that it can be documented if they say that it's normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:52 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

It used to be "normal" for the service fellows to say that anything up to 1 qt usage in 1000 miles was acceptable, and they wouldn't do anything about it, but with todays engineering and close tollerance, I would say that it is abnormal. I'd like to know how much oil you are putting in it at oil changes. On some of these, the dip stick is miss-marked at the full line, and if you are over filling it, it will find a place to go, back down to the REAL full position. Will it use a qt and then level off, or will it just keep on going down?

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

Post subject: Re: CRD eats oil, DCX says thats "Ok"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:47 pm 
LOST Addict

macd wrote:
So I had my CRD in again because it eats a 1qt of oil every 1K miles. This time the SM told me DCX said thats ok, its normal. Has anyone heard of this? They told me its normal for diesels to use oil. DCX would not let them tear anything apart to try and fix it.

Now I have to fill up the oil every time I fill up the tank. What a turd this thing has turned out to be.

I got the same information last Winter. They even put it in writing on a service write-up.

BTW, only a small percentage was leaving through the CCV. The rest of it is going through the turbo seals. I got it down to just an oily mess in the first CAC hose and minimal consumption by modifying the airbox to keep the air filter dry (no thanks to DCX). Noticed a new trick just last week after driving in a snowstorm, back/inside of the airbox was coated with a thick layer of snow but all of it appeared to stay below the baffle. Wasn't born yesterday, know this is all interrelated.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

RFCRD wrote:
macd wrote:

I got the same information last Winter. They even put it in writing on a service write-up.

BTW, only a small percentage was leaving through the CCV. The rest of it is going through the turbo seals. I got it down to just an oily mess in the first CAC hose and minimal consumption by modifying the airbox to keep the air filter dry (no thanks to DCX). Noticed a new trick just last week after driving in a snowstorm, back/inside of the airbox was coated with a thick layer of snow but all of it appeared to stay below the baffle. Wasn't born yesterday, know this is all interrelated.

So, what has DCX decided to do with yours? I took mine in last Friday because I had oil beading on the outside of my CAC hoses. I was just expecting to have the hoses replaced, but the SM told me he would make a few phone calls to see what the issue was...I had A LOT of oil inside of the hoses and he seemed taken aback when I showed him. Anyway, he called back today and told me he thinks that the Turbocharger needs to be replaced...he said there was just too much oil to only be coming from the CCV. He had one more guy he wanted to call, then he said he'd get back with me. I mentioned the Provent fix, but that's when he said there was too much oil for just the CCV. I guess if they want to replace the Turbocharger I shouldn't try to talk them out of it. Just kind of sucks...I haven't driven the thing a thousand miles yet.

I'm under warranty (2005 CRD Sport), so all work should be covered, correct? Also, I have to have another vehicle...they should give a loaner, shouldn't they?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:31 pm 

Loosehead wrote:
RFCRD wrote:
macd wrote:

So, what has DCX decided to do with yours? I took mine in last Friday because I had oil beading on the outside of my CAC hoses. I was just expecting to have the hoses replaced, but the SM told me he would make a few phone calls to see what the issue was...I had A LOT of oil inside of the hoses and he seemed taken aback when I showed him. Anyway, he called back today and told me he thinks that the Turbocharger needs to be replaced...he said there was just too much oil to only be coming from the CCV. He had one more guy he wanted to call, then he said he'd get back with me. I mentioned the Provent fix, but that's when he said there was too much oil for just the CCV. I guess if they want to replace the Turbocharger I shouldn't try to talk them out of it. Just kind of sucks...I haven't driven the thing a thousand miles yet.

I'm under warranty (2005 CRD Sport), so all work should be covered, correct? Also, I have to have another vehicle...they should give a loaner, shouldn't they?

I got a new CAC hose last week and it was bead sweating through the old hose. I have never had to add oil, so it CAN be just from the CCV.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:53 am 
LOST Addict

Loosehead wrote:
RFCRD wrote:
macd wrote:

You should know better than look inside those hoses......I just mailed the photos to the owner of the dealership along with the letter giving them an opportunity to fix the problem before I sued them. Definately got their attention.

At first DCX was entrenched in the whole "Oil in the CAC is normal" line of BS because of the CCV. They weren't even willing to disassemble and clean-up the oil which was already starting to drip from the bottom of the turbo intake boot. When we had a show & tell session and they saw the Provent working with see-through vynal lines they changed their tune. Then they decided to do an oil consumption test. I had to present mine for a complementary oil change. Afterwards could not add oil (top-off) except by the dealer so they could track consumption over time. By the time I started the testing, I had already found the relationship between heavy oil consumption and driving in the rain. The consumption testing didn't show the 1qt/800 miles I had been experiencing because I had already modified the airbox and essentially fixed the problem for them.

If they are replacing the turbo, make sure they replace the first CAC hose. The new hose is of a different material that doesn't sweat oil. The problem hasn't completely gone away, just managing to keep it under control because it's less oil now and it stays inside the hoses. Keep pressing them, the Jeep reps knew all about the oil consumption issues with this engine.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, dumb question. Where are the CAC hoses? How can I check them? What does CAC stand for. I am a newb to diesels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:11 pm 
LOST Member

I consider my oil consumption to be normal; I use a little less than half a quart every 3-4 thousand miles. Sometimes I use less.

This oil consumption was similar to what I experienced in my Jetta TDI.

Fumoto Oil Drain Valves (Oil Pan & Transfer Case)
V6 Airbox Mod
New Driveshaft, New EGR
2003 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, Bright Blue
2007 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 Door, Red Rock Crystal Pearl WOW!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:13 pm 
LOST Addict

macd wrote:
Ok, dumb question. Where are the CAC hoses? How can I check them? What does CAC stand for. I am a newb to diesels.

The CAC (Charged Air Cooler) or in other words Intercooler hoses are the big hoses that run on either side of your radiator area (the intercooler/CAC is in the same place. The one on the passengers side is the one you will probably want to check and is just held on with a clamp. This is the hose that runs from the output of the turbo to the input of the CAC. Just loosen the clamp towards the front of the vehicle and twist/pull the hose off then you can look inside or run your finger inside to check for oil. Ideally it should be clean and dry, but if you dont have a provent or the ehm mod it most likely will not be.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:42 pm 

KJbob wrote:
I consider my oil consumption to be normal; I use a little less than half a quart every 3-4 thousand miles. Sometimes I use less.

This oil consumption was similar to what I experienced in my Jetta TDI.

Normal for this design, YES. But maybe not desireable. Anyone know what the holding capacity is for the intercooler? Might be able to come up with a clean out plan, like say every 50,000 miles or maybe 100,000 miles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

[quote="RFCRD]At first DCX was entrenched in the whole "Oil in the CAC is normal" line of BS because of the CCV. They weren't even willing to disassemble and clean-up the oil which was already starting to drip from the bottom of the turbo intake boot. When we had a show & tell session and they saw the Provent working with see-through vynal lines they changed their tune. Then they decided to do an oil consumption test. I had to present mine for a complementary oil change. Afterwards could not add oil (top-off) except by the dealer so they could track consumption over time. By the time I started the testing, I had already found the relationship between heavy oil consumption and driving in the rain. The consumption testing didn't show the 1qt/800 miles I had been experiencing because I had already modified the airbox and essentially fixed the problem for them.

If they are replacing the turbo, make sure they replace the first CAC hose. The new hose is of a different material that doesn't sweat oil. The problem hasn't completely gone away, just managing to keep it under control because it's less oil now and it stays inside the hoses. Keep pressing them, the Jeep reps knew all about the oil consumption issues with this engine.[/quote]

I actually did the airbox mod before the dealership called yesterday. If the SM stills wants to replace the turbo after talking to whoever he has left to talk to, I might as well do it. New Airbox + New Turbo + New CAC hoses = Less Future Trouble (hopefully...at least as far as this problem goes)...especially if I can install a Provent and not mess up the warranty.