It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ProScan OBD scan tool?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:07 pm 
LOST Member

http://www.myscantool.com/index.html
I am thinking about ordering this unit, but would like to see if anyone has any prior experience with it or has heard anything about it, good or bad.

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Greg.

I actually ordered one once before updating my first generation VAG-COM setup. After over a month of waiting I cancled my order and updated my VAG-COM setup. I don't know if it was the same company because there are several selling units using the Elm chipset. It is a much more versital unit as it will work more manufactureers cars. The important part is the software :shock: VAG-COM is fantastic for VW and Audi cars but only provides obdii stuff for sme other cars using the iso 9141 standard interface. On a 99.5 jetta tdi I owned vag-com will even allow the amount of egr to be adjusted. Hopefully after I get the F31 done on my 06 crd I can monitor sensors. There is a ton of stuff the Elm unit will do with the right software. I suggest you do a google and find groups devoted to engine diagnostics. It takes hardware and software to manage modern engines. It's neat driving down the road watching graphs of various sensors changing as you drive :D

Here's a link to a good group.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/opendiag/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:25 am 
LOST Member

Awesome, thanks so much for the info.

Please keep us updated as to how your unit works after the F31/37 flash. I am very curious.

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:37 pm 
LOST Member

Joe Romas wrote:
Greg.

I actually ordered one once before updating my first generation VAG-COM setup. After over a month of waiting I cancled my order and updated my VAG-COM setup. I don't know if it was the same company because there are several selling units using the Elm chipset. It is a much more versital unit as it will work more manufactureers cars. The important part is the software :shock: VAG-COM is fantastic for VW and Audi cars but only provides obdii stuff for sme other cars using the iso 9141 standard interface. On a 99.5 jetta tdi I owned vag-com will even allow the amount of egr to be adjusted. Hopefully after I get the F31 done on my 06 crd I can monitor sensors. There is a ton of stuff the Elm unit will do with the right software. I suggest you do a google and find groups devoted to engine diagnostics. It takes hardware and software to manage modern engines. It's neat driving down the road watching graphs of various sensors changing as you drive :D

Here's a link to a good group.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/opendiag/

Joe, what s/w are you running on which interface? I have HEX-COM running ver 607.3 I haven't hooked it up to the Libby yet, but would like to get more familiar with what you can see using the OBD-II mode.

Cheers,
Duey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DnA Diesel wrote:
Joe, what s/w are you running on which interface? I have HEX-COM running ver 607.3 I haven't hooked it up to the Libby yet, but would like to get more familiar with what you can see using the OBD-II mode.

Cheers,
Duey

Duey, My interface is a HEX+CAN and the software version is whatever the current one is. I've not had F31 yet and when I tried it on the crd, it communicated but couldn't find any devices as I recall. However on a 99 XJ (cherokee) in the generic obdii mode it's capable of displaying throttle position, rpm's, temperature, both o2 sensor voltge readings, battery reading and a few more. I guess I need to get off my ars and get my crd in for the f31 and ball joint recalls :lol:
Maybe we should all chip in and buy Uwe a CRD so he'll write a CRD version :wink:

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

I use ELM323 with scantool software, Work well on my CRD 2005. Total cost 60$ for the obdII plug (scantool is a Freeware)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:08 pm 
LOST Member

Joe Romas wrote:
DnA Diesel wrote:

Cheers,
Duey

Duey, My interface is a HEX+CAN and the software version is whatever the current one is. I've not had F31 yet and when I tried it on the crd, it communicated but couldn't find any devices as I recall. However on a 99 XJ (cherokee) in the generic obdii mode it's capable of displaying throttle position, rpm's, temperature, both o2 sensor voltge readings, battery reading and a few more. I guess I need to get off my ars and get my crd in for the f31 and ball joint recalls :lol:
Maybe we should all chip in and buy Uwe a CRD so he'll write a CRD version :wink:

Joe

Joe, I was thinking that...heh heh. Part of the problem, I understand, is that the Lib is no longer OBDII compliant? Trust me, I'd love to turn of the EGR like I did on my Jetta. I cleaned the TDI at 70,000 (really gunked), did the EGR reprogram, and she's clean as a whistle at 160,000! *sigh*

Duey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:21 pm 
LOST Member

vgpwr wrote:
I use ELM323 with scantool software, Work well on my CRD 2005. Total cost 60$ for the obdII plug (scantool is a Freeware)

vgpwr,

I checked out the info about the ELM323; I didn't read anywhere if it's USA compatible. It Looks like a nice set up. I wonder if it'll work with USA CRD's?

Magnaflow Muffler
Mopar Skids
Mobil 1 5W40
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Amsoil Throughout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi
US and Canadian CRD are the same, the Bosch ECU is edc16; it is easy to read data and clear Engine Code with ELM323. You dont have to invest in elm327 for CAN protocol.
Btw... Read and write (reflash) the ECU is possible with BDM or Optican, I have a friend her in Montreal how play with that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:13 am 
LOST Member

So what is a good kind of scanner to buy. I want one but do not know which to buy.

LOST #-169388
'79 CJ-5
32x11.50x15
304 V8

'08 Chevorlet HHR
Victory Red
Stock for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJMedic wrote:
So what is a good kind of scanner to buy. I want one but do not know which to buy.

If I were going to buy one now I think one using the ELM 327 would be the most usefull bcause it works on moe cars. However I don't have my 99.5 jetta tdi anymore :( so I can't use all the fantastic features of my VAG-COM :oops: