It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aux Tranny Cooler
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:41 pm 
LOST Member

Thinking OEM trans cooler inadequate (6 plate design). Want to add aux cooler, as I will be towing a 3400 lb toy hauler(Coachmen 150 Blast if/when it arrives at the dealer in Decatur, IL)loaded with a 750 lb 4 wheeler and gear this year. Plan on bringing it from IL to OH with the Avalanche though. Is the the inlet to the cooler the passenger side hose? Is it a 3/8" ID hose? Any thoughts on adding aux cooler greatly appreciated. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:35 am 
LOST Addict

Check on the "Aftermarket TC/Tranny" thread, we did discuss the best location to mount one and the types that might fit.

Yes, passenger side line goes to the cooler, and drivers side is the return to the tranny, and yes it is 3/8" hose.

My vote for a location would be up under the front bumper, in the area where the tow hooks mount. Some protection from road debris, looks to have good airflow, easy access to the stock cooler and lines, doesn't block off the electric fan, and some nice solid sheet metal to bolt it to.

Looks like a frame rail cooler up to 18" long, a Derale heat sink type of the same length, or one of the stacked plate designs would fit in there easily.

I would recommend installing one of the thermostat bypass valves along with the aux cooler. From what I saw for temps using an infared thermometer, in the winter you'd have a good possibility of getting the fluid too cold for regular daily driving with the aux cooler still on line.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:33 am 
LOST Junkie

retmil46 wrote:
Check on the "Aftermarket TC/Tranny" thread, we did discuss the best location to mount one and the types that might fit.

Yes, passenger side line goes to the cooler, and drivers side is the return to the tranny, and yes it is 3/8" hose.

My vote for a location would be up under the front bumper, in the area where the tow hooks mount. Some protection from road debris, looks to have good airflow, easy access to the stock cooler and lines, doesn't block off the electric fan, and some nice solid sheet metal to bolt it to.

Looks like a frame rail cooler up to 18" long, a Derale heat sink type of the same length, or one of the stacked plate designs would fit in there easily.

I would recommend installing one of the thermostat bypass valves along with the aux cooler. From what I saw for temps using an infared thermometer, in the winter you'd have a good possibility of getting the fluid too cold for regular daily driving with the aux cooler still on line.

Excellent info - Could you pls show us pics of what you are describing ?

I'd be interested in tapping in an Engine Oil Cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

OzLtd wrote:
I'd be interested in tapping in an Engine Oil Cooler.

Engine already has an oil cooler mounted to it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:54 pm 
LOST Member

Just finished installing aux tranny cooler. Tru-cool 7800 btu fin and plate design. Mounted it on driver's side upper grill. Put it their so to be easier to block air during winter and get some flow when aux cooling fan is on(but never heard or saw it running since I've bought it in Oct 05). Expoxied 1/4" studs to inside(backside) of black grill supports(frame). Put plastic wire loon on the lines to protect them from chafing. I always make things harder then they need to be.