It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Post F37 Question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:52 pm 
LOST Member

So I got my Jeep back today after F37. It runs fine, and I've already put my Edge module back on. However, there's a "whine." It reminds me of the old radio whine when you had a handheld radio in car. Ot like a small siren. I can't find any air leaks. It goes up and down with the accelerator, and you don't have to be moving. I've put 42K miles on this Jeep, and I don't recall hearing it before.

The dealer said it's the turbo. I said it doesn't kick in until ~1800 rpm. They said no, it runs all the time, but goes to full power then. I'm not buying this. Am I wrong?

Since I had the tranny pump replaced also. What drives it? The speed of the tranny or the speed of the engine? It is possible this is what the noise is?

Any other thoughts? My basic comment was that I have a 100K warranty, I'll just bring it back when I finish breaking whatever it is........Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:52 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Well, I had heard before that the Turbo kicks in at 1200 rpm.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:12 pm 
LOST Addict

The turbo spools up based more on throttle position than rpm. What you're hearing is not likely the turbo, especially if you didn't hear it before, and it varies mostly with engine rpm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:02 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

CATCRD wrote:
The turbo spools up based more on throttle position than rpm. What you're hearing is not likely the turbo, especially if you didn't hear it before, and it varies mostly with engine rpm.

Aren't the 2 related?

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:57 pm 
LOST Addict

BVCRD wrote:
CATCRD wrote:

Aren't the 2 related?

Of course, but what I'm saying is that you could make the turbo spin, say, 50,000 rpm at 2000 engine rpm, or at 4000 rpm depending on throttle input. Or it could be spinning slower at 4000 than 2000, again depending on throttle. There's not a fixed relationship between engine rpm and turbo rpm.

Post subject: Re: Post F37 Question
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:41 am 
LOST Addict

boxhead wrote:
So I got my Jeep back today after F37. It runs fine, and I've already put my Edge module back on. However, there's a "whine." It reminds me of the old radio whine when you had a handheld radio in car. Ot like a small siren. I can't find any air leaks. It goes up and down with the accelerator, and you don't have to be moving. I've put 42K miles on this Jeep, and I don't recall hearing it before.

The dealer said it's the turbo. I said it doesn't kick in until ~1800 rpm. They said no, it runs all the time, but goes to full power then. I'm not buying this. Am I wrong?

Since I had the tranny pump replaced also. What drives it? The speed of the tranny or the speed of the engine? It is possible this is what the noise is?

Any other thoughts? My basic comment was that I have a 100K warranty, I'll just bring it back when I finish breaking whatever it is........Thanks

Let me guess, you now hear a strange "whooosh" and then it starts howling? Sorry, will give you the standard DCX answer "that's normal." I even went as far as inspecting the CAC hoses for a leak following the recall work. This is definately a charactoristic from the F37 tuning. I had something similiar on a bus engine once following a reflash which went away on the next reflash. Wouldn't worry about it.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:41 am 
LOST Addict

CATCRD wrote:
BVCRD wrote:
CATCRD wrote:

Aren't the 2 related?

Of course, but what I'm saying is that you could make the turbo spin, say, 50,000 rpm at 2000 engine rpm, or at 4000 rpm depending on throttle input. Or it could be spinning slower at 4000 than 2000, again depending on throttle. There's not a fixed relationship between engine rpm and turbo rpm.

Actually, the turbo spooling is based more on torque load than anything else on an electronic controlled diesel. The computer controls both fuel delivery and turbo "spool" (air delivery) to maintain stable engine speed/RPM regardless of the torque load and independent of engine speed/RPM.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:02 am 
LOST Member

RFCRD wrote:
boxhead wrote:

Let me guess, you now hear a strange "whooosh" and then it starts howling? Sorry, will give you the standard DCX answer "that's normal." I even went as far as inspecting the CAC hoses for a leak following the recall work. This is definately a charactoristic from the F37 tuning. I had something similiar on a bus engine once following a reflash which went away on the next reflash. Wouldn't worry about it.

Checking the CAC hoses is a good idea though. I'll do that today. Other than that, I'll just wait 'til I break something. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:36 pm 
LOST Addict

boxhead wrote:
Checking the CAC hoses is a good idea though. I'll do that today. Other than that, I'll just wait 'til I break something. Thanks.

Start watching for oil soaked hose-rot/softening at the connection to the turbo. Mine was showing a wear/vibration ridge where the rim of the turbo flange was vibrating into the soft hose material along with some swelling of the material around the band-clamp. No way to see this in action but I believe it may have been ballooning under the heat & boost pressure.