It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:24 pm 
LOST Member

Our 3rd vehicle is a 2000 Accent. Bought new in Jan 2000. Other than oil changes, the only maint. has been: all belts including timing belt changed at 60,000($100), rear brake shoes and front pads and rotors at 70,000(front rotors $20 each at Advance auto), both front wheel bearings at 44,000 under warranty and also at 91,000 out of my pocket($120). It sits ouside all the time, has 103,000 miles on it and still has the orginal battery. It does need a new valve cover gasket. I would definitely buy another especially if a diesel is offered in an Accent or Elantra. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:27 am 
LOST Junkie

In addition to the Santa Fe rental that I drove, I also drove a Kia Optima (2004 I think) rental in Orlando, FL for a week. As most of you know, Kia is owned by Hyundai and some of their vehicles share platforms and engines. I thought that optima was just as nice as a camry or other higher priced vehcile that I drove...heck it even had manual-shift mode on the auto trans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:41 am 
LOST Junkie

Holy Crank-cases, Batman, we have a mutiny on our hands. That good, huh? My wife was steamed at me when we bought the Libby because the local Kia dealer was practically giving away their SUV's at the end of the Summer (they make a Sportage and something else on the Santa Fe chassis).

My argument was. "But honey, it's a Diesel, and diesel's are so releable. Besides, it's a JEEP!"

Hmmmm

Can you put a lift on a Sante Fe?

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:13 am 
LOST Member

BiodieselJeep.com wrote:
Holy Crank-cases, Batman, we have a mutiny on our hands. That good, huh? My wife was steamed at me when we bought the Libby because the local Kia dealer was practically giving away their SUV's at the end of the Summer (they make a Sportage and something else on the Santa Fe chassis).

My argument was. "But honey, it's a Diesel, and diesel's are so releable. Besides, it's a JEEP!"

Hmmmm

Can you put a lift on a Sante Fe?

I don't think so, at least not a real one. The Santa Fe is built on the Sonata platform. So, it's one of those "cute-'utes" basically a grocery getter.

I think in '08??? they will be built in Alabama along with the new Sonata.

Don't get e wrong. They still have some "cheap" feeling interior parts. I can't put my finger on it just that they ain't not Toyota... nor do they have the Toyota price.

I have heard that the Libby has some "cheap" feeling interior parts too.... I didn't find that to be true. But, I was accustomed to the Sonata.

Yes I'm old enough to know better :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:52 am 
LOST Addict

If it is an import into the US I am 99% sure it is made with at least one diesel engine in it somewhere in the world. No matter how big or how small. Oh wait sans sports cars. I have yet to see a TDi Lotus Elise at the dealers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:37 am 
LOST Addict

jinstall wrote:
If it is an import into the US I am 99% sure it is made with at least one diesel engine in it somewhere in the world. No matter how big or how small. Oh wait sans sports cars. I have yet to see a TDi Lotus Elise at the dealers.

Now that would be sweet!

Do you think a 220 CDI would fit in there? Maybe even a 270 5 cylinder :twisted:

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:03 am 
LOST Addict

With the right money I am sure anything is possible. My guess would be to go with a 2.0tdi VW. BTW do you really own a Elise? A co workers brother owns a Lotus shop. http://www.ramspott-brandt.de/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:52 am 
LOST Addict

jinstall wrote:
With the right money I am sure anything is possible. My guess would be to go with a 2.0tdi VW. BTW do you really own a Elise? A co workers brother owns a Lotus shop. http://www.ramspott-brandt.de/

Sometimes I pull one into the driveway at night...But when I get out of bed its gone :roll:

No I dont have one. I may someday though. After the jeep is paid off and they get a little cheaper. They are still over 20K even for a salvaged one here. As long as they keep making them and the price for used ones goes down making it more feasible for me to buy a "toy". I have seen about 3 on the road, I suppose they are all over the place over there?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Not all over the place but I see one ever 2 weeks or so. Right now not too many out but as it warms back up I am sure I will see one a week.

Here is one I saw at the Nuerburgring Grand Prix course when I was getting my Class A FIA/DMSB race license.

And my car after I got my license. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:16 pm 
LOST Member

Oh my gosh,

I saw that type of Lotus [without race markings] just today in the hospital car park. I figured it was a doc's car until I realized I was in the "public only" parking garage!!!

Yes I'm old enough to know better :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

DadsDiesel wrote:
Oh my gosh,

I saw that type of Lotus [without race markings] just today in the hospital car park. I figured it was a doc's car until I realized I was in the "public only" parking garage!!!

Probably some chick getting a boobee job or botox injections. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:32 pm 
LOST Member

I looked at dealership in Durham at those. There only about 45k bucks. Have a Toyota 4 cyl. pretty cool cars though.

LOST #-169388
'79 CJ-5
32x11.50x15
304 V8

'08 Chevorlet HHR
Victory Red
Stock for now.