It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel Filter Change - Won't Bleed
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

Guys, I just changed the fuel filter on my 05 CRD, per the Jeep Manual. I took it around the block, and got on it, and it died. It started right back up a few seconds later. I took her home and we thought maybe there was still air in the system, so we attempted to rebleed the system. Now the bleeder screw won't 'shut.' It tightens, but when a go to prime the system, fuel still squirts out. It seems to idle find, however, when you drive it, it won't go at WOT. Only @ 1/4 throttle. Can you diesel guys help me out??

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
SAMCO Hoses//GDE Tune//PML Trans Pan//TransGo HD Shift Kit//MBRP Exhaust

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

sorry cant help on that one, but i would like to know how you got the manual that shows how to change the filter

Thanks

ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Endurance wrote:
sorry cant help on that one, but i would like to know how you got the manual that shows how to change the filter

Thanks
Ebay

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:43 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

How are you bleeding it? You are suposed to pump it, then open bleeder. Close bleeder, Pump some more. Then open. Do this until fuel comes out and no air.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

BVCRD wrote:
How are you bleeding it? You are suposed to pump it, then open bleeder. Close bleeder, Pump some more. Then open. Do this until fuel comes out and no air.
Yup, that's what we did, but when we close the bleeder and pump, fuel still comes out...

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Does the bleeder still tighten up? If not, it is stripped. If it does, I would guess that there is trash under it preventing it from seating. For that, I'd take the bleeder completely out and pump the trash out. I have my old filter head out in the garage. I'll go look and see what is behind the screw.

Later:

The bleed screw is exactly what it would apear to be. A simple bleed screw with a conical seat. Metal on metal. Nothing exotic about it. To me, it has to be one of the above items.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:02 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks Goglio. My initial thought too was gunk in there. I pulled the screw out and we pumped it a few times, and nothing visible came out. There also didn't seem to be any metal shavings on the screw itself, which lead me to believe the threads were fine as well. Its sitting at the dealership now, so I guess we'll find out!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:15 am 
LOST Addict

Is there an O ring thats supposed to be in there?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:23 am 
LOST Addict

RTStabler51 wrote:
Thanks Goglio. My initial thought too was gunk in there. I pulled the screw out and we pumped it a few times, and nothing visible came out. There also didn't seem to be any metal shavings on the screw itself, which lead me to believe the threads were fine as well. Its sitting at the dealership now, so I guess we'll find out!

I guess the seat could have deformed or cracked. I'm not sure how thick it is. Let us know what comes of this.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter Change - Won't Bleed
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:23 am 
LOST Addict

RTStabler51 wrote:
It seems to idle find, however, when you drive it, it won't go at WOT. Only @ 1/4 throttle. Can you diesel guys help me out??

Typical running charactoristics for a diesel sucking air (bleeder stuck open). It might run/idle but will be gutless, won't pick-up RPM, and/or have a "hollow" sounding exhaust note.

Your dealer will likely replace the filter as an assembly (head & filter). It took about 4 days for my dealer to get one. For grins, try asking the dealer to reuse the new new filter you just installed and give you the fresh dry one as a spare.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

Jeger wrote:
Is there an O ring thats supposed to be in there?
I don't believe so. Its not leaking around the threads, its coming out of the 'nipple.'

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When I changed my fuel filter I didn't even bother with the bleeder, it only ran rough for a few seconds and was fine, the air will work itself out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

TDI4BY wrote:
When I changed my fuel filter I didn't even bother with the bleeder, it only ran rough for a few seconds and was fine, the air will work itself out.
i considered that, but with all the theories on air being the cause for the stutter I wanted to try to do it right...

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

RTStabler51 wrote:
TDI4BY wrote:
i considered that, but with all the theories on air being the cause for the stutter I wanted to try to do it right...

I just went out and bled a bunch of air out of mine. 3 weeks past a new filter change. Pulled electric plugs and checked while under pressure, and NO visable leak. It is possible that I didn't get it all out the first time. Still ran like a champ WITH the air present.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:47 pm 
LOST Member

BVCRD wrote:
You are suposed to pump it, then open bleeder. Close bleeder, Pump some more. Then open. Do this until fuel comes out and no air.

I did mine differently with great results. I opened the bleeder, placed a shop rag near the bleeder, then pumped the primer 6 or 7 times. About 4 pumps into the pumping of the primer, I got nothing but straight #2 out of the bleeder.

RTStabler51....out of curiosity, did you prime the new filter with any diesel fuel conditioner ?

Greg

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

gsbrockman wrote:
RTStabler51....out of curiosity, did you prime the new filter with any diesel fuel conditioner ?

Greg
Yes, as I'm new to diesels, and reading some more experienced guys they filled the filter with that.

I just called and said it was 'over torqued.' They are ordering a new housing. My thought though is that if it was over torqued, wouldn't it be leaking around the threads? From what I could tell, it was just spitting out the 'nipple.'

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

1986 2R Mustang SVO