It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grease Article
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

From Reuters:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070312/lf_ ... Fb_OR34T0D

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:44 am 
LOST Member

Good Article Cowcatcher! 8) My nephew has converted both his old Mercedes and his GM truck to consume grease. They smell a bit like a big french fry, but he has had good luck on these. He indicated that his costs for fuel last year averaged about 88 cents per gallon.

Both vehicles start with diesel and when the engine warms, they switch over to grease. Of course, there is some filtering needed to ensure the injectors are not clogged.

Does anyone know of a Jeep conversion kit for those of us that are bold enough to try this after the warranty is done?

Sold: Silver 06 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:30 am 
LOST Junkie

There are a couple for the liberty, the best is from Elsbett in Germany. But you have to pull out the injectors and send them over.

I would be real careful with high-pressure common rail engines and grease-kits. I am very tempted, especially on my Jetta, but there are some horror stories. It only take one bad batch to ruin a very nice Jeep!

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:38 am 
LOST Addict

sbohner wrote:
Good Article Cowcatcher! 8) My nephew has converted both his old Mercedes and his GM truck to consume grease. They smell a bit like a big french fry, but he has had good luck on these. He indicated that his costs for fuel last year averaged about 88 cents per gallon.

Both vehicles start with diesel and when the engine warms, they switch over to grease. Of course, there is some filtering needed to ensure the injectors are not clogged.

Does anyone know of a Jeep conversion kit for those of us that are bold enough to try this after the warranty is done?

If I remember correctly, a company called Frybrid has already converted a CRD, and has pics on their website. One of the drawbacks I saw is that the additional tank is inside the vehicle, in the cargo area, and at best you'd have to build some type of platform over the tank to make use of what cargo space is left.

I'd also have my doubts about the long term reliability of using refined grease or vegetable oil in the CRD. While we know the concept works relatively well on an older diesel with a (comparitively) low pressure mechanical injection system, I don't think I want to be the guinea pig and see how a high pressure electronically injected common rail diesel with EGR would react. The results might be financially painful.

Besides, I'm sure Reflex could quote someone somewhere that says recycling grease from restaurant traps would be bad for the environment. :wink: :)

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My salesman handed me a business card for "Grease Car" here that does a conversion with a seperate tank and heater that does take up space in the vehicle. I did not look into it but I don't recall there being an injector change. The same outfit I believe markets processed fryer oil for 75 cents a gallon, I believe delivered.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:52 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for all the insights. :D It sounds like an opportunity to wait on since there are few cases of successful high pressure (common-rail) implementations. I think that I'll just track this one. Again, thanks! :wink:

Sold: Silver 06 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:44 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
Besides, I'm sure Reflex could quote someone somewhere that says recycling grease from restaurant traps would be bad for the environment.

Now that right there is funny... I don't care who you are! 8)

I can chime in here a little.

A CRD is a different animal than the mechanical injected engine. Just about everyone from what I have read prefers to convert the mechanically injected engines and rates them as easiest to convert. I just can't get past the geeky styling of a late '80's Benz!

That does not mean that it can't be done or isn't safe if done correctly. Jason Crawford over at www.vegistroke.com converts the Ford PSD using a two tank system. So does Chris Goodwin at www.frybrid.com. Chris has stated in threads that he will not convert a vehicle that he cannot assure reliable operation on veg. He as done a Jeep Libby CRD. That is one reason I went ahead and bought a Libby for my wife. When I return home from Ireland, I most likely will forge ahead and put a Frybrid system in my Libby. I too have concerns on where to put the veggie tank. Chris after doing much looking, selected the cargo area. Of course, me being stubborn as I am, don't want to give up the dear amount of cargo area that we have in the Libby, so, I will be looking at an alternative location... leave it to me to question the expert. :shock:

www.Greasecar.com is in my back yard and has been selling "general" kits for a while but seems to be more willing to sell a system without fully understanding the mechanicals of the specific engine involved. They claim to have sold several kit for the VW TDi's.

www.plantdrive.com is another vendor. I think Craig Reese is the owner. He offers another way to skin the cat, as it were. I don't know if he has done a Libby.

In fairness, I will mention one other vendor that specifically states they do Liberty conversions: www.goldenfuelsystes.com says they do Libby conversions. They state on their website that the conversion is complex and that they will only do the conversion and not just sell the kit. Their price is $3500 -ouch! I think he replaces the stock tank with a split tank type arrangement. My plan is to also replace the stock tank... maybe.

As for Elsbett, they have been doing single tank conversions in Germany for a long time. They do use different injectors and some other components, but, my "grease expert" contact here in Ireland who has done several conversions and assisted others, isn't impressed. I can only take his word at it. Elsbett even developed their own diesel engine to run veggie oil as the primary fuel.

WVO is easier to use than biodiesel especially taking into consideration the time and effort to "brew" the biodiesel. However, the fuel system does not have to be converted to use it.

Since the oil still has to be collected and filtered before brewing, I think just cutting out the brewing step makes sense.

If you do not drive many miles a day or do only frequent short trips [a mile or two] wvo may not make sense for you because you do have to wait to switch over to wvo use until the engine comes up to temp.

.... patiently waiting for Reflex to chime in :P

Yes I'm old enough to know better :-)