It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What junkyard skid plates will work on a 2006 CRD?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hi all,

I'm sure the answers are buried within the forum here, but a casual search did not yield any obvious answers to a KJ newcomer like myself.

I have a 2006 CRD without the skidplate package, and I would like to add the front three skidplates. It does have a thin factory skid in the front, but it's not very strong and is already bent from contact with something (probably an unlucky dragonfly or perhaps a bumblebee). We have a local truck junkyard here that probably has lots of KJs, and almost certainly no CRDs. What model years would have skid plates compatible with my 2006 CRD?

Thanks!

- Chris

Suncoast TC, Transgo shift kit, Inmotion, ORM, EHM, Magnaflow SS exhaust, Fumoto valve, EVIC added, Hensley TruControl brake controller, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LR-D in spring/summer/fall, FIA winter front and Blizzaks in winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:47 pm 
LOST Addict

For the engine mounts it will (a BIG) probably fit right on. Your problem will be the transfer case and transmission skids. The gasser has a straight crossmember at the transmission while the CRD one is sloped backwards in the middle.

If you can find a gasser from before april 2002 you could be lucky and fit the transmission skid too. There was a point in time when the gassers and CRDs used nearly the same transmission. The pre-april 2002 3.7L KJs was fitted with the 45RFE transmission while we on the CRD get the 545RFE transmission. Difference is that the 45RFE only has 1 overdrive gear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_4 ... ansmission

If you can find the service manual for an 02 3.7L you could be so lucky and grab a skid off one of those. That would be my best advice if you don't fancy some drilling.

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

The 05/06 CRD skids are the same as the 05/06 gasser skids for everything backwards from the engine (at least they were when I ordered mine new). I don't recall seeing any kind of special CRD engine skid offered.

Then again, my CRD came with the same engine skid you have, and for my purposes it is likely good enough. I just wanted some protection for the oil filter that "dangles".

Whatever you try, remember you will need to source "nutsert" mounting hardware separately as they cannot be removed from the donor rig.

235/75/16 Firestone Destination ATs (summer)
Thule roof rack, cargo box
V6 airbox mod
Flowmaster 50 2.5 inch muffler
Edge EZ module (set for fuel economy)
SEGR
TDIWagonGuy CCV filter
B99 (summer), B20 (winter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:53 pm 
LOST Addict

I've begun to wonder if it would not be possible to weld a nut into the hexagonal hole and use that to mount the skids on. I never really trusted those nutzerts much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

I think they work ok for our application (holding a skid plate on). Remember, any impact the plate receives is going to come from underneath then drive it up towards the frame... the plates are designed so they have really big contact areas with the frame or cross member to distribute that force. The nutserts purpose is to hold them on nice and snug until such an impact occurs.

If there were force that was going to yank a skid plate downwards, away from the frame, then yah, nutserts wouldn't do the job.

A welded on nut would probably work, but I don't think there is really room there to put a solid bead on it. I'd also worry about the bead rusting out over time.

235/75/16 Firestone Destination ATs (summer)
Thule roof rack, cargo box
V6 airbox mod
Flowmaster 50 2.5 inch muffler
Edge EZ module (set for fuel economy)
SEGR
TDIWagonGuy CCV filter
B99 (summer), B20 (winter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:39 am 
LOST Addict

Threeweight wrote:
I think they work ok for our application (holding a skid plate on). Remember, any impact the plate receives is going to come from underneath then drive it up towards the frame... the plates are designed so they have really big contact areas with the frame or cross member to distribute that force. The nutserts purpose is to hold them on nice and snug until such an impact occurs.

If there were force that was going to yank a skid plate downwards, away from the frame, then yah, nutserts wouldn't do the job.

A welded on nut would probably work, but I don't think there is really room there to put a solid bead on it. I'd also worry about the bead rusting out over time.

Just weld the sucker directly onto the crossmember/frame hexagonal hole. You just need something to hold the nut in place with. I recommend tipping the vehicle over so the nut can just sit on the tipped frame :D (j/k)

Seriously it should be possible and it would also be possible to protect the weld against rust by coating it. Remember it won't be worn because the skid will take the sand and other debris you run over.

I have heard stories of people losing a skid after having contact with the ground.