It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody get the "shudder" fixed?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:53 am 
LOST Addict

My CRD still has the "stumble" or "shudder" as it's been called, after accelerating to 65 and letting off the throttle. It'll stumble and buck and kick for about 30 seconds and then level out.

Has anybody ever figured out exactly what the deal is on this? I know a lot of CRD owners were having this issue.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject: Re: Anybody get the "shudder" fixed?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

LibertyCRD wrote:
My CRD still has the "stumble" or "shudder" as it's been called, after accelerating to 65 and letting off the throttle. It'll stumble and buck and kick for about 30 seconds and then level out.

Has anybody ever figured out exactly what the deal is on this? I know a lot of CRD owners were having this issue.

I had the problem for awhile then one day the trnsmission threw out a bunch of codes so I took it in to the dealer. All they did was read the codes then clear them and try to duplicate the problem. Since then no problems so I am thinking disconnect the battery for awhile hook it back up and let the transmission "learn" to drive again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

kjfishman wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:

I had the problem for awhile then one day the trnsmission threw out a bunch of codes so I took it in to the dealer. All they did was read the codes then clear them and try to duplicate the problem. Since then no problems so I am thinking disconnect the battery for awhile hook it back up and let the transmission "learn" to drive again.

Since posting the statement above I had the check engine light come on after some wierd shifts. They are ordering a new valve body for the transmission. Overall this is a great transmission maybe they just had a few defective valve bodies get into production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:57 am 
LOST Addict

I've heard of some torque converter replacements on these CRDs already too. Yeah the tranny is a good one in the Dodge trucks, I don't know how Jeep could have screwed it up.

:?:

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:44 pm 
LOST Member

LibertyCRD wrote:
I've heard of some torque converter replacements on these CRDs already too.

I had the EGR Valve replaced and the torque converter replaced all in the same visit. The "shuddering" problem I experienced was mostly at 40---45 mph with OD off.
Greg

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:20 am 
LOST Addict

Well they did a reflash on my computer and now I have the latest update. I drove the Jeep for a while, and the problem is still there. So now at least I know for sure that it's the transmission. Engine is doing fine, it's the tranny that is screwed up. This sucks...I don't know whether to take it back now or wait until it dies.

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject: studder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had the studder problem since day one. My wife noticed it first because she drive the Jeep every day. I had the EGR replaced and the computer flash updated and still notice the studder. BUT it's almost like I have to make it do it. I have to barely touch the diesel pedel at about 55 mph to get it to buck. I'm getting to the point I know what not to do with the diesel pedel to keep it from bucking. I'm am a bit concerned about the transmission going out one day but thats the reason for the 75,000 mile warranty. If it does blow up they can fix and if I see alot of comments about people's transmission blowing up I'm going to sell the CRD at about 74,999 miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is to funny, I just left my Jeep dealership because of the shutter in my tranny. They hooked it to the computer and said nothing was wrong with it. I am glad I am not alone with this problem. My CRD has done the shutter dance from day 1. We took the service tech for a ride so we could show him what it did. But guess what It didnt do it, Go figure. So I think the tranny fluid must be hot for it to do it. So I have another appointment in a few weeks and I am going to take it to them all warmed up. But other than the tranny thingy I love my CRD. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:55 am 
LOST Member

Yeah, I still have the problem too, even after TSB 18-018-05...

If you have not, sign the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/kjcrd/petition.html

It helps keep track of the number of people who are having this problem, and to show that we are not crazy. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

kjfishman wrote:
kjfishman wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:
Since posting the statement above I had the check engine light come on after some wierd shifts. They are ordering a new valve body for the transmission. Overall this is a great transmission maybe they just had a few defective valve bodies get into production.

My CRD experienced a hard shift that set the MIL lamp on back in June. They diagnosed it as a sticking shift solenoid assy and replaced that. Also did the 18-018-05 TSB while in the shop. No problem since.

In my research I found a reference somewhere to a bad batch of selonoid assemblies that found their way into production. I'm guessing - but that might also be the case with the EGR valves, as some have and some have not had problems.

Good luck with yours. I'm love this little diesel Jeep. I only wish DC had opted to put the word "DIESEL" on it somewhere. Might fend of some of the really strange looks I get idling through parking lots and at stoplights.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:05 pm 
LOST Member

hawk521 wrote:
I'm love this little diesel Jeep. I only wish DC had opted to put the word "DIESEL" on it somewhere. Might fend of some of the really strange looks I get idling through parking lots and at stoplights.

Yep; can't remember how many times the wife has been shouted at whilst fueling up with the comment "Did you know you're pumping diesel into your vehicle ?" :lol:
Greg

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah I get that too. One guy jumped out of his Cummins powered Dodge to try and stop me. So I had some custom vinyl graphics made that say "Diesel Power" and I have them on the back glass and across the windshield. I get lots of looks now... I guess people don't read the newspaper.

Anyway...my engine light is back on again today, so it's back to the shop for me again. My tranny isn't quite right, but I don't know if that's my problem, or if it's EGR, or something else... I'm getting really sick of taking my new Jeep to the shop once per month though.

I'll post my results when I get it back...hopefully in a day or so... :cry:

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject: My CRD still has the "stumble" or "shudder&qu
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Noticed it on the drive home went back and was told it was just a breaking in issue with the torque converter learning my driving style. Ignorant torque converter still has not learned my style.

Has been flashed and worked on by what I believe is a great service department, but low still the symptom. I live with it and hope if something is wrong it fails close to home. Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:43 am 
LOST Addict

Well they told me that the problem was my brake light switch under the dash. It supposedly is tied into everything and was causing my tranny issues as well as some other things. Who knows...they replaced it. I guess we'll see.

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:12 pm 
LOST Member

LibertyCRD wrote:
Well they told me that the problem was my brake light switch under the dash. It supposedly is tied into everything and was causing my tranny issues as well as some other things. Who knows...they replaced it. I guess we'll see.

I had mine throw a malfunction light, and a brake switch code with under 500 miles on the clock. The guy at autozone said that they had never had to read a code off of a new car before....

The code was P0504 : Brake Switch A Brake Switch B Corrolation

The stealership kept threatening me that they would charge me $80 to read the code because it was just the fuel cap. I told them it was not the fuel cap (I know how to fuel a darn vehicle) and asked why they would charge me $80 when I barely just drove the vehicle off the lot. After I got the code, they said it was the fuel cap, and I made them go look it up. When they saw that it was the brake switch, they replaced it...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:01 pm 
LOST Member

LibertyCRD wrote:

I have a problem when i accel past 50 and the torque converter locks, if you let off the gas a certain way it starts to buck when reaccel at about 55-57 mph, is this the same problem ur having? i could not duplicate the problem for the tech.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:48 pm 
LOST Member

redcrd wrote:
LibertyCRD wrote:

I have a problem when i accel past 50 and the torque converter locks, if you let off the gas a certain way it starts to buck when reaccel at about 55-57 mph, is this the same problem ur having? i could not duplicate the problem for the tech.

Yes, this is.

It is frustrating, because I could not duplicate it for the tech either, but it happens all the time. The problem is more having the right condidtions around the dealership. Hard to accellerate to 60mph hard, then stay between 50 and 60 for any period of time - in the city where the streets are full of traffic and have 40mph speed limits...

Please fill sign the petition if you have not already. We do not expect anything from the petition - it is simply a way to track the numbers of people experiencing the problem...

http://www.petitiononline.com/kjcrd/petition.html

Post subject: keep taking it back
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i took mine in twice and they replaced the egr valve both times and flashed it as well. it took several days but it works great now. i think it was just a run of bad vlvs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Fueling With The Big Dogs

Hi everyone! I'm new here. :oops:

I picked up my 2005 Liberty Sport CRD from the dealer on Monday, 10/24/05, and currently have about 450 miles on her under a wide range of conditions.

I know what you mean about the double-takes other dieselers give at the gas station. My first (and so far only ) fill-up I had a guy ask if I would move to another non-diesel pump thinking I just needed to buy regular gas. When he saw the green filler cap and found out it was a diesel, he was quite impressed. :)

Within the first few days of owning this wonderful machine, I've taken it up to an 8300-ft summit (Mount Rose highway in NW Nevada, next to Lake Tahoe) and back down (accelerating uphill and keeping up with the sports cars on the winding, sharp-curved two-lane downhill), up to 95MPH on Interstate 80 (some very mild vibration, but otherwise rock-steady on the road -- I didn't go faster for legal reasons, not technical reasons ;) ), and have amused myself repeatedly by accelerating effortlessly up every steep grade I can find.

Oh yeah, I Love That Torque!!! :cool:

I continue to be blown away by just how much better this vehicle performs than I expected. I just wanted a diesel and the nicer mileage. :D

I Shudder To Think...

In those 450 miles, I have accelerated and decelerated through the 55-65 speed range many, many times on flats and up/downhill grades, and have experienced no noticeable shudder of any kind.

I'll keep an eye open for it, however, and am hopeful that not only will I not experience it, but that those who do will see the problem corrected soon.

You shouldn't need a petition. DC should just make things right, and I hope they will.

I'll keep an eye open for EGR or other codes, too. :shock:

However, nothing I have read here or anywhere else makes me feel any less ecstatic about this awesome Jeep.

Granted, it may just be the solvents from the new car smell, but I absolutely, positively, undeniably LOVE my Liberty CRD!!! :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:29 am 
LOST Addict

Wife's CRD was built 07/05 and we brought it home the 14th and then bought it the 19th and we have not experienced any shudder, have had a hard shift if once or twice when letting off throttle real quick just before it was to change gears.

Other then a code P00101 for MAF/MAP sensor which as cleared on it's own, bt dealer is replacing anyway.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine