It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:24 am 
LOST Member

Nix,

Thank you sir for the explanation.
Does a re-flash for the transmission ECU exist?

Before the F37 I could pull out onto the road and not blink... now I have pay close attention or get smashed.

Tom

Samco hoses
Weeks Stage 1
PMF EGR plug kit
ARP Stud
Cracked CAC repaired with epoxy filler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:18 am 
LOST Member

tomasnc wrote:
Does a re-flash for the transmission ECU exist?

I really don't know about that. I asked InMotion in a phone converation about this and they said that they couldn't flash the transmission ecu. However, I don't know if anybody else can. But just remember this is a discontinued low to medium volume truck.. there may not be enough demand for somebody out there to want to mess with creating one.

InMotion said that you can buy a pre F37 transmission ecu and swap it in pretty easily though. That might be an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In some other threads - the Inmotion guys mentioned that the encryption on the TCM had not been cracked so they couldn't reprogram it. (unfortunately most of F37 was to the Transmission module) the other comment was that they couldn't go below 60% EGR without a CEL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:04 pm 
LOST Member

ATXKJ wrote:
In some other threads - the Inmotion guys mentioned that the encryption on the TCM had not been cracked so they couldn't reprogram it. (unfortunately most of F37 was to the Transmission module) the other comment was that they couldn't go below 60% EGR without a CEL.

Interesting.
I replaced the EGR valve with a DG race pipe, cleaned my partially clogged intake and had Rocket Chip install an RC2+ tune that among other things deleted the EGR program and associated CEL on my Jetta TDI. Never need to worry about clogged EGR or intake again.
Perhaps I'll need to contact RC to see if he does any ECU tuning work with Liberty CRD's. However as previously stated, due to the Liberty CRD being a discontinued low volume production vehicle, not many tuners may not want to take the time to develop performance ECU programming.

I can't bring myself to shell out $300 for an ECU tune that leaves the EGR operational.

Just curious, whats the maximum operating boost pressure for this particular turbo and does anyone know if InMotion takes the ECU tune close to the maximum boost pressures or do they play it relatively safe?

05 Liberty CRD Limited
Rocketchip Level 1, Provent

03 Jetta TDI Wgn 5 spd
Rocketchip Level 5 with upgraded: turbo, DD clutch, fuel delivery, intake and exhaust systems. Deletes: EGR cooler, EGR, Cat.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading it in English, thank a veteran.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

For those who have done the Inmotion upgrade:

I'm going to send in the ECM for upgrade next Monday. Besides the obvious nuts/studs, are there any tricks to getting the ECM out? How's the big honkin' connector come off?

Thanks in advance!

- Chris

Last edited by chrispitude on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:17 pm 
LOST Addict

chrispitude wrote:

I'm going to send in the ECM for upgrade next Monday. Besides the obvious nuts/studs, are there any tricks to getting the ECM out?

Thanks in advance!

- Chris

Nope, you got it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

InMotion with the SEGR (ORM no Cel) would give the best overall IMO. Completely shut down the EGR...No Cel...and extra HP/TQ

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:35 am 
LOST Member

I find it interesting that Inmotion only turns down the EGR 60% because if they turn it down further a CEL is produced. So can I infer that they do have the ability to turn down the EGR all the way (delete) if one wanted to and then use the ORM to take care of the CEL? Am I the only one that finds it odd, that this tuner cannot permanently delete the EGR and it associated CEL?

05 Liberty CRD Limited
Rocketchip Level 1, Provent

03 Jetta TDI Wgn 5 spd
Rocketchip Level 5 with upgraded: turbo, DD clutch, fuel delivery, intake and exhaust systems. Deletes: EGR cooler, EGR, Cat.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading it in English, thank a veteran.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:23 am 
LOST Addict

Maybe turbo-tim can share/sell the workings behind his idea to InMotion? Perhaps they could offer it as part of their services? :idea:

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

CATCRD wrote:
chrispitude wrote:

I'm going to send in the ECM for upgrade next Monday. Besides the obvious nuts/studs, are there any tricks to getting the ECM out?

Thanks in advance!

- Chris

Nope, you got it.

I got sidetracked for a bit because I was trying to remove all four small nuts which hold the ECM itself to its mounting bracket. It was very difficult to get to the bottom two due to the main wire harness running in front of them. I finally decided that this was harder than it should be, and looked around a bit more. That's when I noticed the two bigger nuts holding the mounting bracket to the fender which were much easier to remove. :)

So, it's in the mail! Hopefully I'll have it back and reinstalled by Thursday.

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:31 am 
LOST Member

I don't know if InMotion's hands are tied by big Brother for trying to shut off the EGR or not. When I talked to them a while back, I got the impression that the programs they flash in are what they get from overseas. So as far as any real custom programming goes, they made me believe that after I paid for the first one, I could send it back many times to "Tweak" it for what I wanted. That sounds good and all, but I can't be without my primary transportation that long. Maybe someone else wants to try.

I'm now also wondering that on another thread that if one was to remove the torque request signal to the engine CPU, the engine can now go full power, and with the SEGR or ORM kit, do you really need the InMotion tuning? I am looking into it.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

InMotion can only turn down the EGR to about 60% then the Liberty throws a code. With the SEGR, the InMotion remaps the fuel distribution and gives a broader power band. Seems like the combination would be a great one two punch.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject: Inmotion vs. modules
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:01 am 
LOST Junkie

I'm weighing the pro's and cons of Inmotion vs. a quality performance module (Edge Trailjammer, SP Stage I, BD, etc...) Since my CRD is my daily driver, I don't want to be without it for several days. I'm also concerned about Inmotion and passing future emissions checks.

Is there really any difference between Inmotion and a quality module that adjusts timing, boost, duration, as well as fuel pressure?

235/75/16 Firestone Destination ATs (summer)
Thule roof rack, cargo box
V6 airbox mod
Flowmaster 50 2.5 inch muffler
Edge EZ module (set for fuel economy)
SEGR
TDIWagonGuy CCV filter
B99 (summer), B20 (winter)

Post subject: Re: Inmotion vs. modules
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:08 am 
LOST Addict

Threeweight wrote:
I'm weighing the pro's and cons of Inmotion vs. a quality performance module (Edge Trailjammer, SP Stage I, BD, etc...) Since my CRD is my daily driver, I don't want to be without it for several days. I'm also concerned about Inmotion and passing future emissions checks.

Is there really any difference between Inmotion and a quality module that adjusts timing, boost, duration, as well as fuel pressure?

There IS no module that adjusts timing, boost, duration, and fuel pressure. Most of these modules only plug in line with the fuel rail pressure sensor. If this is true, the only parameter you can adjust is rail pressure, jacking it up to potentially unsafe levels, despite some of the makers' claims. You can't adjust timing or duration of injection if all you modify is the fuel pressure signal. The better modules also plug in line with the MAP sensor, which does boost fooling, by telling the ECM that boost is rising faster than it used to, thereby allowing more fuel to be injected.

When you can adjust timing and duration like Inmotion can, you don't need to turn up the fuel pressure.

Post subject: Re: Inmotion vs. modules
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:14 am 
LOST Addict

CATCRD wrote:
Threeweight wrote:

There IS no module that adjusts timing, boost, duration, and fuel pressure. Most of these modules only plug in line with the fuel rail pressure sensor. If this is true, the only parameter you can adjust is rail pressure, jacking it up to potentially unsafe levels, despite some of the makers' claims. You can't adjust timing or duration of injection if all you modify is the fuel pressure signal. The better modules also plug in line with the MAP sensor, which does boost fooling, by telling the ECM that boost is rising faster than it used to, thereby allowing more fuel to be injected.

When you can adjust timing and duration like Inmotion can, you don't need to turn up the fuel pressure.

Exactly. One other problem with the pressure-only modules - the CP3 has to be able to suck enough fuel to jack up rail pressure. With the stock filter and vacuum fuel system, you're asking for trouble.

The best add-on module or tune in the world isn't going to be worth a bucket of warm spit unless the supporting cast of characters is in place - adequate air flow and fuel delivery, and a stout drivetrain.

I've only seen one module that covers all of the mentioned parameters, made by TST Products, and only for the Dodge Cummins, designed by a former Cummins engineer.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

From the Edge website re: the Trailjammer module for CRD's:

"The Edge EZ carefully monitors timing, turbo boost pressure, and fueling parameters to maximize power, torque, and driveability. The EZ safely provides power to help eliminate downshifting while towing."

235/75/16 Firestone Destination ATs (summer)
Thule roof rack, cargo box
V6 airbox mod
Flowmaster 50 2.5 inch muffler
Edge EZ module (set for fuel economy)
SEGR
TDIWagonGuy CCV filter
B99 (summer), B20 (winter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:58 pm 
LOST Addict

I think the edge module is one of the better ones out there, becaue it does boost fooling, but it still can't monitor injection timing. It's just marketing mumbo jumbo. In a common rail system, injection timing is controlled by the ECM and injectors. Modifying the rail pressure signal (which is what the Edge module does) can't change injection timing in any intelligent way. Maybe it's referring to boost "timing", in that it fools the ECM into believing that boost is rising faster off the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

I got my ECM back from Inmotion today. It took me a good 5 minutes of futzing around to get the bracket tab back into the notch, while clearing the main wire harness trunk and hood support. I'm always very leery of damaging factory wire harnesses since a rubbed-through wire harness is what took my 1986 Shelby Omni GLHS off the road. Anyway, the module's back in now.

I took it for a spin around the block and I guess it seems more peppy, but the thing's been off battery for a week so it does have some relearning to do. I'll let my wife drive it to work for the rest of the week so it relearns. We're going camping again this weekend, and that will be the real test of how it helps with towing. It should be nice and "learned" by then.

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any updates of these InMotion tuning. Im about to give something a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:38 pm 
LOST Addict

I still like mine. No problems, no mpg loss. The extra power is still noticeable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next