It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AAARRRGGGHHH!!! $90 fill up
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:17 am 
LOST Junkie

21.11 gallons stuffed in @ $4.26.

Only consolation was the EVIC read 506 miles to empty...

How many out there have hit $100 for a fill?

2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift 1000. 225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers, Ipod kit & seat covers, Samco hoses - totaled and gone. 2008 WK Laredo 3.0L diesel - AirLift 1000, wife won't let me mess with it much. 2013 JK Sahara on order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:36 am 
LOST Member

The pump that I go to shuts off at $75.00, so I fill up at half a tank. I don't understand why a station would set limits on fueling up. I would go someplace else but they have good fuel and are the cheapest.

2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2007 Jeep GC Diesel Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:18 am 
LOST Junkie

bdptp73 wrote:
The pump that I go to shuts off at $75.00, so I fill up at half a tank. I don't understand why a station would set limits on fueling up. I would go someplace else but they have good fuel and are the cheapest.

I'm just guessing that it is a CC-at-the-pump deal, and you are paying with Visa/MC/Discover/AmEx, right?

Just so that you will know, the station does not set that limit, the credit card company does, and while I agree that limiting purchases to $75 is a stupid thing for the station to do, they had no voice in the decision, it is strictly the credit card issuer, who, after all, cares not a whit about either you as the customer or the station as a rep, only about their own exposure to possible fraud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:08 am 
LOST Addict

A fill up here in europe is $150. Lucky for me I don't do that all too often, and lucky for me I find places where the price is better so I can fill up for just $140 :)

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 am 
LOST Junkie

naturist wrote:
Just so that you will know, the station does not set that limit, the credit card company does, and while I agree that limiting purchases to $75 is a stupid thing for the station to do, they had no voice in the decision, it is strictly the credit card issuer, who, after all, cares not a whit about either you as the customer or the station as a rep, only about their own exposure to possible fraud.

I've been told by station employees that it IS a station (or at their coprorate level) decision to limit 'loss' of drive aways and people who then call Visa and say their card has been stolen. This way the station feels they lose less money to criminals. Visa doesn't limit purchases at resteraunts or grocery stores why are gas stations special?

My moral objection to this is that these stations automatically think I'm Blackbeard the Pirate for driving up to the pump. So I avoid them.

2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift 1000. 225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers, Ipod kit & seat covers, Samco hoses - totaled and gone. 2008 WK Laredo 3.0L diesel - AirLift 1000, wife won't let me mess with it much. 2013 JK Sahara on order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Back around Christmas, or so, a guy was filling up his big rig at a regular gas station, because they had diesel for 10¢ cheaper than anywhere around. I think t he price was around 3.15, and they had a $50 limit on the pumps. He was there for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:57 am 
LOST Junkie

It is the station that sets the limit. The one closest to my house has a $50 limit, the one a little further down has an $80 limit.

As was mentioned above, I simply fill up before the tank is empty. No worries.

2005 Liberty CRD *SOLD*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Its the station, some have $50, some have 75, others have a $100(nicest) limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Again, its the station.

When I fill up the work truck with the fleet card (Voyager) the pump stops
at $75.

I just swipe it again and continue filling. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:45 pm 
LOST Addict

I usually top off once a week, makes it seem less painful that way. Also makes it easier to calculate how much I'm spending per week, per month, and per year on fuel.

Now that I've had the tranny overhauled, the '87 MB is up to 35 mpg. For 200 miles per week commuting, I'm back down to $25 per week fuel cost. (Yeah, I know, time to head for the bomb shelter.)

Sad part is, only 5 short years ago, that would have been $25 per MONTH. :evil:

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

21 gallons? Holy crap you take it all the way down! I thought I was bad. My fill ups are usually at the 18.5 gallon mark.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
SAMCO Hoses//GDE Tune//PML Trans Pan//TransGo HD Shift Kit//MBRP Exhaust

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:21 pm 
LOST Addict

lat time I tanked off base it was $167 but it is more now.

Post subject: Last fill up...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

$95.50 on 21.979 gallons of B99..... :cry:

ARB Bull Bar, KC Daylighters, Rebuilt Warn MX6085 w/125' Synthetic line, 265/70/16 Cooper Discoverer STT & Moabs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:20 pm 
LOST Addict

RTStabler51 wrote:
21 gallons? Holy crap you take it all the way down! I thought I was bad. My fill ups are usually at the 18.5 gallon mark.

His tank may not have been THAT empty. One thing I and others have noticed locally since prices for everything went well north of $3/gallon, is that the accuracy of the pumps at some stations are, shall we say, straining the limits of legality. In other words, whatever +/- fudge factor for pump accuracy is allowed by law, some stations have their pumps set well to the "+" side in their favor.

At what used to be my regular station, the one diesel pump I used was shut down for replacement/maintenance a couple months ago. Once it was reopened, I fueled up twice with that pump - once with the CRD, once with the '87 MB. And both times it showed me putting in 2 gallons more than was physically possible in either vehicle.

I promptly started using another station, who's pump's accuracy agreed with the capacity of my fuel tanks, and magically my fuel costs went down by several dollars a week. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:26 pm 
LOST Member

At what used to be my regular station, the one diesel pump I used was shut down for replacement/maintenance a couple months ago. Once it was reopened, I fueled up twice with that pump - once with the CRD, once with the '87 MB. And both times it showed me putting in 2 gallons more than was physically possible in either vehicle.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to call in the State, to check the pumps, if that is the case.
They get paid for checking the clickers on the pumps.
Just my 02 is all

Steve

No rock climbing
No mudding
Hangs behind my
motorhome on tow bars. Semi-retired and still learning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

RTStabler51 wrote:

I did, and I filled it all the way up the tube. That's the most I've ever pumped into it in 55k miles. That combined with (nearly) the highest price per gallon I've paid gave me quite a shock when I turned around and looked at the pump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I don't care what the DTE is showing me however, I never get more than 450 miles to a tank. That sucks. I've been driving a lot slower and easier than I used to, and I'm still not seeing these magical "15% increases from reducing speed" that the CNN fuel wonks are always touting. All I see is the cost to operate going up up up up up up up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:49 am 
LOST Newbie

In stations up here where the limit is 50 or 75 bucks, I finish my transaction at the pump, then reinsert my credit card and refill again. Inconvenient, but works. I learned this trick about a year ago when refuelling my motorhome that was towing my CRD.

2005 CRD Limited, ARB bumper, Frankenlift II, ORM, Aero Turbine 2525, Suncoast+TransGo, InMotion ECU reflash, RockLizard, Cragar Soft 8's, Green Diamond Icelander A/T 265/70/17's, Gibson snorkel, fording extensions on diffs n transmission.

Post subject: Known possible pump problem
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In the past week there was a news article about a valve or something in the gas pumps or hose that is causing up to 2 gallons registering on the meter before a drop is pumped. It happens as I understand right when the pump nozzle is squeezed :cry:

Post subject: Re: Known possible pump problem
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Joe Romas wrote:
In the past week there was a news article about a valve or something in the gas pumps or hose that is causing up to 2 gallons registering on the meter before a drop is pumped. It happens as I understand right when the pump nozzle is squeezed :cry:

I've seen that happen before, but not to that extent - ie, just turned the pump on and when it pressurized the fill hose it had already registered a couple tenths of a gallon.

But that's not what's happening in my case - I watch the meter on the pump to control my fill rate and minimize foaming, and also to make sure the station isn't trying to give themselves the "empty hose" freebie when I first start pumping.

What I'm seeing is a small cumulative error, where the pump is registering an extra 1/20 to 1/10 of a gallon per gallon pumped - to where if you filled a 5 gallon jug it would register from 5.2 to 5.5 gallons pumped.

Multiply 1/20 to 1/10 of a gallon extra by a 20 gallon fillup, then multiply that by hundreds or thousands of fillups per week - at $4/gallon, we're talking a significant amount of money for even one station.

And it could well be that that much of an error is even within the limits of the law - considering that most state standards for pump accuracy were probably written back in the day of 80 cent/gallon or even 30 cent/gallon gas.

And at those prices, an extra 2 gallons registered on the pump and an extra buck and a half out of their pocket, at a time when 90% of the people in this country could have given a whit about fuel economy, was well below the radar. But now, when such an error could well cost you an extra $10 per fillup.....