It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrical power loss at ignition and shutdown
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

The past couple of weeks I've had an odd issue with my CRD and could use some advice. The problem is intermittent.

In the beginning, there were a few times where I turned the ignition key to start it and nothing happened at all. I would try a couple of times and then finally it would start right up. Next, the issue progressed to where the electrical power to the vehicle occasionally goes completely out when I attempt to start the vehicle or immediately when I shut it off. It behaves as if the battery is disconnected; there is no power to the vehicle at all. However, I found that I can reset it by physically disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it. Once I do that, everything comes back and the vehicle starts as usual.

Yesterday I got a code of P2295 "fuel pressure solenoid short to ground." It was a one-time occurrence and did not come back after I cleared it. I also should mention that I replaced my alternator and battery earlier this year.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Rotella T 5W40, Wix Air Filter

Post subject: Re: Electrical power loss at ignition and shutdown
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

crdblazr wrote:
The past couple of weeks I've had an odd issue with my CRD and could use some advice. The problem is intermittent.

In the beginning, there were a few times where I turned the ignition key to start it and nothing happened at all. I would try a couple of times and then finally it would start right up. Next, the issue progressed to where the electrical power to the vehicle occasionally goes completely out when I attempt to start the vehicle or immediately when I shut it off. It behaves as if the battery is disconnected; there is no power to the vehicle at all. However, I found that I can reset it by physically disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it. Once I do that, everything comes back and the vehicle starts as usual.

Yesterday I got a code of P2295 "fuel pressure solenoid short to ground." It was a one-time occurrence and did not come back after I cleared it. I also should mention that I replaced my alternator and battery earlier this year.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Check the wiring harness in front of the firewall where it goes into the ECM for rubbing spots or shorts.

The Key thing MAY be a seperate issue, as there is something in the column that fails in these as well but I would check the wiring harness first.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at that wiring harness a couple months back when the alternator went bad and it looked okay then, but I can check again.

It's interesting you mentioned something in the column. Another symptom I had recently was my right turn signal would blink double fast, often if I flipped it on with the steering wheel slightly turned. That too was intermittent and it hasn't happened in the last week or so.

Rotella T 5W40, Wix Air Filter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:13 am 
LOST Junkie

You may need to check the famous actuator pin broken problem where the actuator pin that rotates the ignition key breaks off.

The indicator stalk does not do much...connects either left or right indicators to ground.

Make sure your battery is in good shape and that all battery connections are clean and tight, escpecillay the grounding strap between the engine and the chassis.

Does your Jeep have the SKIS anti-theft system installed with the chip-in-key? :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:48 am 
LOST Member

As always solid suggestions. Perhaps you could also check the contacts of the IOD fuse for corrosion etc - out of left field I know.