It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 635 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: SEGR/ORM Kit Builder's Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I shipped out most of the kits today. I included instructions on how to build the kit mechanically and a poop sheet relating components to the PCB. I figure those who need soldiering advise can search the web or discuss it here. Additionally all info regarding how to find, splice and hook up to the CRD wiring harness can be found at Tim's site http://picasaweb.google.com/Turbo4tim/Ckt I wanted to have the first one built before I shipped the rest, but with recent layoffs at work my work load has more than doubled. One thing I forgot to include in the instructions was that you can bolt what ever mounting bracket you come up with to the lid of the enclosure and you may want to seal the enclosure with silicone after it is complete and the circuit potted. If someone would document their particular build and share it with the others here that would be cool. I think I ended up losing money with with a couple things running over budget and paying my kids to help. Pissed off the wife pretty bad too having the table covered with parts and working to the wee hours getting everything sorted and labeled. So to those of you who got in on this run concider yourselves lucky cause the cost will go up if I do it again. Kits went out priority mail so expect them soon.

Let's use this thread to discuss the kit as we all build it up.

Dennis

SEGR ala TurboTim
255/70/16 Big O on Rubis minor trimming required
87k+ miles=3 factory TC's, 2 front pumps, 1 turbo, & drivers side wheel bearing/hub
Suncoast TC and Transgo Snake oil-41k
New Front Drive shaft-30K
Stage 2 InMotion Tune-54k, makes me go :)
B&M Tranny Cooler

Last edited by LocoCRD on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Install thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm thinking of putting mine on the inside of the firewall where the fuse panel is in most vehicles (should just be a small bundle of wires going through one of the grommets. I figure it'll be a little better protected from the elements and heat and be easier to wire in a cutoff switch if I decide to do so. Is the heat production of the board low enough for this to sound reasonable?

Also, I was wondering what color and guage the wires are that need to be cut into in the ECM bundle? I'd like to take a trip to my local Frys or electronics distributor and get all the right colors sizes, etc. before I cut things open.

P.S. Sorry about about wife... I'm going to try to con mine into doing the soldering for me. She designed and built milspec connector assemblies at her co-op job in college :)

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for all your hard work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thank you for all your efforts, Tell the wife "Sorry, Its a CRD thing"

Sp Diesel Module
Samco Boost Hoses
K&N Performance Air Filter
Straight Pipe (No muffler)
SEGR
Mopar Skids
Cummins In Tank Lift Pump
245/70R 16 Wild Country AT's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well it's mostly my fault for having one too many half finished projects cluttering up my work bench. I just encroached a little too long on mommas territory, it was to be expected.

SEGR ala TurboTim
87k+ miles=3 factory TC's, 2 front pumps, 1 turbo, & drivers side wheel bearing/hub
B&M Tranny Cooler

Post subject: Re: Install thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dgeist wrote:
I'm thinking of putting mine on the inside of the firewall where the fuse panel is in most vehicles (should just be a small bundle of wires going through one of the grommets. I figure it'll be a little better protected from the elements and heat and be easier to wire in a cutoff switch if I decide to do so. Is the heat production of the board low enough for this to sound reasonable?

Also, I was wondering what color and guage the wires are that need to be cut into in the ECM bundle? I'd like to take a trip to my local Frys or electronics distributor and get all the right colors sizes, etc. before I cut things open.

P.S. Sorry about about wife... I'm going to try to con mine into doing the soldering for me. She designed and built milspec connector assemblies at her co-op job in college :)

I was thinking of doing the same for mine as well. I figure somewhere under the dash or behind the glove box would be better than under the hood. Turbo Tim used 18 AWG wire for everything but the 12v and ground which he used 16 AWG.

SEGR ala TurboTim
B&M Tranny Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:41 pm 
LOST Member

tell your wife that she is entitled to any kindness from all of us doing the big ORM mod, thanks to you both. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

LocoCRD, when you posted that in addition to getting the boards made you could also supply the other components, I thought to myself "Does this guy know what he is getting himself into? His screen name sure does suit him!" Thanks again so much for doing this for us lazy guys. BTW, way back before you ordered the boards, you had mentioned to me that you found an error in the express PCB diagram from TT. Is this correction listed in you instructions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LocoCRD,

Kit just arrived, Its definitely more than I expected. Nice metal project box. Where did you get the bulkhead connector? I'd like to build a jumper plug so I want an extra connector and pins like the one that mounts to the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

edon wrote:
LocoCRD, when you posted that in addition to getting the boards made you could also supply the other components, I thought to myself "Does this guy know what he is getting himself into? His screen name sure does suit him!" Thanks again so much for doing this for us lazy guys. BTW, way back before you ordered the boards, you had mentioned to me that you found an error in the express PCB diagram from TT. Is this correction listed in you instructions?

It was a misread by me. I was looking for the 10 ohm power resistor which was of course not on the PCB schematic. One too many late nights I guess. The instructions I included are purely how the PCB, enclosure, power resistor and conectors go together mechanicaly along with a poop sheet to help you figure out what component goes where on the PCB. On the name thing, maybe thats why my wife calls me loco, hmmm...

Dennis

SEGR ala TurboTim
B&M Tranny Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bugnout wrote:
LocoCRD,

Kit just arrived, Its definitely more than I expected. Nice metal project box. Where did you get the bulkhead connector? I'd like to build a jumper plug so I want an extra connector and pins like the one that mounts to the box.

The bulkhead connectors came from Digikey.com, and you can find the part numbers on Tim's parts list for the connector and pins.

Dennis

SEGR ala TurboTim
B&M Tranny Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:08 am 
LOST Addict

Got mine today.

Many thanks for doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Got mine too.

Dennis - Thanks for getting things together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:18 am 
LOST Member

Pics, people! Info! Stories! Problems? More, more, more!

:twisted:

This is cool stuff, keep it coming in.

Special Agent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:55 pm 
LOST Member

GOT MINE :D

lemme get some pictures, maybe I can post them today.

thanks again Dennis, and especially Mrs. LocoCRD for putting up with our antics. 8)

(edit) can't figure how to post pictures :oops:

try a cardomain.com search for tblume, look in my profile, or PM me with your Email and I'll send you a picture of the kit as it comes out of the bubble mailer spread out on my counter top.

I'll try and figure out posting pics, PM me with hints, don't want to hijack this thread.

Post subject: GOT MINE TODAY
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:18 pm 
LOST Member

Got Mine Today....

Will be checking it out tonight!

265 70r 16
SC Bumper
Glass Pack
Provent
Dodge 2500 in tank Lift pump
Samco Hoses
Rocky Road UCA
Transgo shift kit
Updated torque converter
Weeks Kit 1 & 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Loco..... This is nescosmo if you have someone that has not paid you or change their mind about the kit please let me know

email me at nescosmo@netscape.net.

don"t forget

Nescosmo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

nescosmo wrote:
Loco..... This is nescosmo if you have someone that has not paid you or change their mind about the kit please let me know

email me at nescosmo@netscape.net.

don"t forget

Nescosmo.

You are on the waiting list thread. Lets please keep this one on topic.

SEGR ala TurboTim
B&M Tranny Cooler

Post subject: Toggle switch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:17 am 
LOST Newbie

I'd like to add a toggle switch to the box and was hoping to get some feedback on whether I'm on the right track, since I haven't done too many of these type of projects. I'm thinking about a 3PDT ON-ON toggle switch such as the Mouser 108-1A31T2228-EVX (or equivalent) with these connections:

Code:
Left Poles     Center Poles           Right Poles
ORM Pin 2      MAF In (Connector)     ORM Pin 1 (MAF Sensor Output)
ORM Pin 4      EGR Out (Connector)    ORM Pin 5 (EGR Valve)
ORM Pin 7      AFC Out (Connector)    ORM Pin 8 (AFC Valve)

Switching the toggle to the left would connect the MAF In, EGR Out and AFC Out coming from the engine CPU into the ORM circuit at Pins 2, 4 and 7. Switching the toggle to the right would bypass the ORM circuit by connecting the MAF In, EGR Out and AFC Out directly to where they would go without the ORM in the mix.

Do I have this right? Any concerns with leaving the other 3 connections (12V Ign / 12V Auto Shutdown Relay, Ground, Park Neutral Sense / Trans Range Sense) intact without going through the toggle switch?

Rotella T 5W40, Wix Air Filter

Post subject: Re: Toggle switch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know why you'd want to do it, but I guess you could. I wouldn't switch the toggle switch while power is appied to the ORM box. I think it would be easier and safer for the ORM box to order the half of the connector and make a jumper plug for when you want to take the ORM bow out of the loop. You might PM TurboTim to get his take on the question too.

crdblazr wrote:
I'd like to add a toggle switch to the box and was hoping to get some feedback on whether I'm on the right track, since I haven't done too many of these type of projects. I'm thinking about a 3PDT ON-ON toggle switch such as the Mouser 108-1A31T2228-EVX (or equivalent) with these connections:

Code:
Left Poles     Center Poles           Right Poles
ORM Pin 2      MAF In (Connector)     ORM Pin 1 (MAF Sensor Output)
ORM Pin 4      EGR Out (Connector)    ORM Pin 5 (EGR Valve)
ORM Pin 7      AFC Out (Connector)    ORM Pin 8 (AFC Valve)

Switching the toggle to the left would connect the MAF In, EGR Out and AFC Out coming from the engine CPU into the ORM circuit at Pins 2, 4 and 7. Switching the toggle to the right would bypass the ORM circuit by connecting the MAF In, EGR Out and AFC Out directly to where they would go without the ORM in the mix.

Do I have this right? Any concerns with leaving the other 3 connections (12V Ign / 12V Auto Shutdown Relay, Ground, Park Neutral Sense / Trans Range Sense) intact without going through the toggle switch?

SEGR ala TurboTim
B&M Tranny Cooler

Last edited by LocoCRD on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 635 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next