It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Hitching
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

What size and configuration hitch reciver should be used with a 2005 CRD sport stock?

I'm just pulling a little Coleman pop-up camper. I was offered a 1, 2, or 3 inch drop or a strait receiver? Straight, with a two inch ball on top matches my trailer hitch height but does the CRD drop in height when loaded with gear?

Groover

2005 Liberty Sport CRD Bright Silver
With 22C customer package, trailer tow hitch, mud flaps, Jeep tire cover, roof cargo basket, and hand controls.

"L.O.S.T." in the Texas Hill Country

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

It will probably drop some depending on how much the load is, but I think if you just flip the straight stinger over you'll pick about 1 1/4" of it back again. The rest shouldn't be a towing concern if you stay within the recommended guidelines (trailer/interior load).

Post subject: Re: Trailer Hitching
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

William Hoover wrote:
What size and configuration hitch reciver should be used with a 2005 CRD sport stock?

I'm just pulling a little Coleman pop-up camper. I was offered a 1, 2, or 3 inch drop or a strait receiver? Straight, with a two inch ball on top matches my trailer hitch height but does the CRD drop in height when loaded with gear?

Groover
You need to use the draw bar that leaves the trailer level when hooked to your vehicle. Choose the draw bar based on that With the trailer siitiing level you can measure form the gound to the bottom of the coupler. Then measure from the ground to the top of the reciever on the jeep to get an idea of what draw bar you need. Try this link for specific instructions.....http://ballmounts.com/images/HW_ball_height_sheet2.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Will do. Another concern I've heard is the spare tire needs to be removed to connect a trailer to the Liberty. Is there any truth to this inconvenience? I do not want to have to remove my spare to hook up my camping trailer,

Hoover

2005 Liberty Sport CRD Bright Silver
With 22C customer package, trailer tow hitch, mud flaps, Jeep tire cover, roof cargo basket, and hand controls.

"L.O.S.T." in the Texas Hill Country

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Man... I nearly HATE to give you this answer, but....

"It depends"

Of the three trailers that I have towed w/ my CRD, I have had to remove the spare for ONE of them (and once coupled, put it right back on). This trailer was a 18" flat bed, tilt bed car carrier. The configuration of the tongue was such that there was a clasp that had to stick up 'til it was lowered onto the ball, then it could be flipped down. Unfortunately, this clasp was nearly 3" high when in the "up" position, causing the need to remove the spare, as there was no way to have the tongue go over the ball and still have enough room between the ball and the tire. Sucked. This was w/ a straight ball mount (no drop).

Another trailer that I had towed had a "bulldog"(?) tongue. It tightened to the ball in a different manner, and there was nothing directly above the coupler, allowing it to drop onto the ball w/ no problems.

Finally, my little utility trailer is "so low" that I have to have a 3" drop ball mount, so it has no problems w/ tire clearance.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to measure the trailer's level toungue height to determine what ball mount will work properly (what drop), and you're going to be stuck w/ whatever coupler configuration is on the trailer. This will determine whether or not you've got to pull the spare.

But... pulling the spare is a minute job tops. 30 seconds off... hook up or drop off trailer... 30 seconds on. It really wasn't "that big" a deal to do.

- Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can tell you one thing.... it's much much better to have the hitch drooping down than to have it to high. Fish tailing will be a big problem if you are to high.

I've pulled a few boats around 3000lbs with my KJ and the rear really didn't sag like I thought it would.

28D package (full skids)
Trailer tow group
Auto tranny
Trac-Loc
Jeep seat covers
K&N air filter
Moog K3199 LBJs
Frankenlift
Al's upper A arms
Goodyear wrangler silent armor
255/70-16

Post subject: Well I'm testing the CRD big time next weekend
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I'm testing the CRD big time next weekend. I'm taking my parents 18 foot travel trailer to north Florida for some camping. It tips the scale at slightly more than 4000 pounds and totat length comes in at about 20 feet. I think I'm going to leave the water tank empty. The tank sits right in the front so I figure 35 gallons less water weight in the front will help with any sagging but we will see. I'll try to take some pictures and post them. Also going to keep a close watch on the MPG and will report it upon return. Hopefully all goes well.

Wes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

William Hoover wrote:
Will do. Another concern I've heard is the spare tire needs to be removed to connect a trailer to the Liberty. Is there any truth to this inconvenience? I do not want to have to remove my spare to hook up my camping trailer,

Hoover

I tow a Haulmark Transport enclosed motorcycle trailer with our CRD. It has a storage box mounted on the A-frame. I thought for sure I was going to have to remove the spare. However, I am happy to report that I don't and everything clears by about an inch, even when I jack-knife the trailer on a turn-around. Life is good! :D

Post subject: how's it pull
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How does that cycle hauler pull? Does it pull ok? How much does it weight? What kind of MPG do you get?

Wes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

[Edit: Er...somehow this post got stuck under the wrong topic...never mind. :oops: ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:17 am 
LOST Addict

The CRD has a payload capacity of 1,150 lbs. That's just a little less than a 1/2 ton pickup truck. So it will actually haul quite a bit of weight before starting to "sag" or "droop" in the rear.

As pointed out, the important thing is to make sure that your trailer is level once it's hooked up. For me, a 3/4" drop ball mount works good. Depends on your trailer though. Just make sure it's level.

Also, make sure you don't exceed the 750 lb. maximum tongue weight. Lots of guys think they are fine as long as they are towing less than 5K. But they forget to check the tongue weight and that can cause a serious problem. Your CRD might tow the 4,000 lb. travel trailer OK, but if it has a lot of tongue weight you are going to run into potentially serious issues.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject: Hitch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:10 pm 
LOST Member

Anyone used a Hidden Hitch on the rear, I'm looking at model # 75128 (look on etrailer.com for details)? From what I've read this mounts in the factory holes, and since I can get the hitch and wiring harness for what my local dealer wants for just the hitch, I may go for it.

Thanks,
Brent

Post subject: Re: how's it pull
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:37 am 
LOST Newbie

RedJeepCRD wrote:
How does that cycle hauler pull? Does it pull ok? How much does it weight? What kind of MPG do you get?

Wes

It pulls fine but I am hauling less than 1500 lbs. It's just my dirt bike and gear. This is not heavy duty for the CRD. I haven't checked the mileage because I only used the Jeep once to haul my bike. I also have a Nissan Frontier, which is my primary tow vehicle.

Post subject: OK so far so good
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Went and picked up the 18 foot travel trailer. Decided to try it with the water tank full. With a 14" ball mount I didn't have to remove the spare tire. The back of the CRD only went down about 2 inches. With the trailer brakes setup and everything hooked up I took the trip from my parents house to mine. It had plenty of pulling power. NO PROBLEM what so ever wih the power issue. In fact I had a problem slipping the rear tires on wet street going up hill. I used the full-time while it was raining so I could start out a bit quicker on hills. BUT everything pulled great. I had no problem controling the trailer. I think I will get the sway control hooked up to give me a bit more security at highway speeds. I had one time on the way home the trailer start swaying at about 50 mph. Anyways I'll try and get the pictures post with a full report after the camping trip.

Post subject: Hidden Hitch
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:15 pm 
LOST Member

I put one on my 2004 Liberty before my wife totalled it.

No problem on the installation.

Post subject: Dealer/Factory hitch
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a dealer installed hitch on my Liberty CRD. I had to open the rear door to put the trailer on the ball. When everything was attached the trailer was sitting level. My trailer is an all aluminum utility converted to haul a motorcycle.
Could I find an extension to help alleviate having to open the door?

2005 Silver Liberty Sport CRD LOST#074322
Rear Tow package,Chrome Grill,Bug Deflector
Mud Guards,Vent Visors,Sport Rails
Cargo Area Tray/Organizer
Silver Rhino

Post subject: Hitch extension
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:17 pm 
LOST Member

See J C Whitney item WF134883p Hitch extension bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Try this one, this is the one I'm using with the travel trailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merch ... ry_Code=BM

Wes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:04 am 
LOST Addict

www.ontheball.com sells a 14" ball mount that will work with the factory receiver hitch, and you won't have to open the door to hook up your trailer, and it won't touch your spare tire, and it's cheap!

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter