It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

fatweasel wrote:
What if your modified filter setup crashes your fuel pump?

Seems like they are not covering the OEMs that cause the pump to crash either so I am not sure that part really matters.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:34 pm 
LOST Member

Who's pump has crashed with the OEM?

The only 2 we have heard about were "improved."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Lets see how would that go.....

"Leaky fuel filter again eh? You say it left your wife stranded this time....man that sucks"

"Yeah sure did....and this plug looks like it nearly caught on fire too. I'll take two please" LOL

ROFL :lol:

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

fatweasel wrote:
Who's pump has crashed with the OEM?

The only 2 we have heard about were "improved."

As I recall there was an unmoded third but that poster has left and lemoned. One of the others, not doc, had mods but DC blamed the failure on Shell and refused to pay. Bottom line is that they never want to pay for a pump period so what difference does it make really.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

Easier to get new wife than new CRD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Well gents, what it comes down to is you have to ask yourself these simple questions -

Who does your vehicle belong to, you, or Chrysler?

Who is ultimately responsible for the maintenance and safe operation of the vehicle?

Once you can give yourself an honest answer to those two questions, the rest is easy.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:34 pm 
LOST Addict

retmil46 wrote:
Well gents, what it comes down to is you have to ask yourself these simple questions -

Who does your vehicle belong to, you, or Chrysler?

Who is ultimately responsible for the maintenance and safe operation of the vehicle?

Once you can give yourself an honest answer to those two questions, the rest is easy.

Amen!

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:25 am 
LOST Addict

For those thinking about a lift pump
Would something like this be handy?

http://www.mooreparts.com/AC127010.html ... p=AC127010

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:45 am 
LOST Member

Been gleaning this filterhead thread for the valuable info you all ALWAYS provide. "The Princess" recently informed me that the little beast was beginning to "buck" every so often . So I popped the hood and checked for the obvious leaks at the T'sensor and the heater both dry and looking assembly line perfect.
Did a quick system purge and sent her on her way. STILL bucking. She's got the 8/80 warranty but ironically I will not allow Chrysler to touch this little beast.
It's had only the fuel line set replaced at about 1K due to a line set defect (AND was that an adventure). I change out the tranny filters (recall), No F***37.
Just the provent and the orm. So once again I checked the filter head.... Got the Hollywood Klieg lights out. Pressuerized the system just a little with a extra pump or two and we have a winner. The seal in the head above the sensors was sweating fuel. Not a drip or bubble from the sealing planes but sweating fuel through the center. So no matter how tight that center puck was you can't seal the porosity.
I recently read a service bulletin put out by Cummins (we got one of those also) warning of seal failures due to ulsd. Stanadyne gives accolades for this oem low budget part, I do not. I could get another oem on warranty, I choose not. This evening a Racor 245 w/heater will be taking over for the oem version. I could say I'm improving the oem filterhead by leaving it on the bench for now....

13 Edge Limited AWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

That's interesting about the notice.

Also interesting that if you pump hard enough the seal will fail...this backs up what others have said on this thread and quoted from the service manual. I wonder if some sealant around that seam (above the plugs) might be a good temporary fix for those folks looking to diagnose leaks.

Meanwhile, my replacement OEM is still collecting purgable amounts of air, but at a fraction of the rate before replacement (from element burn-out). If you are under warrentee, I would recommend getting the OEM replacement done first before jumping into other options. More and more info is pointing to a simple seal issue.

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:10 pm 
LOST Member

BioD, I think I'm still going to put the Racor in and with the oem on the bench I'm going to do some seal replacement trials on my own. There is a virtual myriad of diesel fuel compatible seals an O-rings that could or would work. I have had a parts account for years with the local Dodge portal and have a good working relationship with them. I was told there are no guarantees that the replacement from the parts depot would have different quality seals. So once again.... 8/80 Warranty by Truckbouy2.... The money I spend on parts is far less than the cash outlay for therapy after dealing with the fine Chrysler Group Dealer Organization.

13 Edge Limited AWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

truckbouy2 wrote:
The money I spend on parts is far less than the cash outlay for therapy after dealing with the fine Chrysler Group Dealer Organization.

Amen, brother! I am actually very curious how the Racor install goes, so tell me. It certainly isn't a ton of money and well worth it if it illiminates the headache!

If you take apart the OEM head, could you take some photos? That would help the discussion!

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

truckbouy2 wrote:
BioD, I think I'm still going to put the Racor in and with the oem on the bench I'm going to do some seal replacement trials on my own. There is a virtual myriad of diesel fuel compatible seals an O-rings that could or would work. I have had a parts account for years with the local Dodge portal and have a good working relationship with them. I was told there are no guarantees that the replacement from the parts depot would have different quality seals. So once again.... 8/80 Warranty by Truckbouy2.... The money I spend on parts is far less than the cash outlay for therapy after dealing with the fine Chrysler Group Dealer Organization.

Could you measure that seal that goes between the heater puck and the aluminum head? I'd like to look for a better substitute too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:56 pm 
LOST Member

I thought I'd be rippin' into "The Princess's" oiler tonight. But as usual I got the extra filter from B-line earlier in the week and the 245 unit was coming direct from Racor. It was supposed to be here today (Friday). But those tricky Californian's.... I guess monday will be the alleged ups day. So....
When I dive into it I will post pictures and oem seal sizes. If I can talk "The Princess" into peelin' around in the 2500 I may still delve into it.
So stay tuned fellow part time Jeep engineers.

13 Edge Limited AWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Photos of the factory filter assembly, you say? So happens I have a complete spare, already have it broken down to hand tight for show and tell when i visited the diesel service shop the other week.

I'll be glad to do a complete set of pics, including the wif sensor and filter, and perhaps we should make it a sticky for future reference once they're posted.

In the meantime, I've already got pics of my "Joe Boyer Not Ready for Prime Time" Stanadyne filter assembly installed in the CRD. If Cowcatcher is still up for doing the honors, I'll send them his way.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:47 pm 
LOST Member

Oem.... Yup...
That would be wonderful. I think it's catcrd who would like the dimensions of the puck seal that is the leaker.
I won't be getting into "The Princess's" till monday. And I sure don't like to delay any info when all us Part Time Jeep Engineers get frisky.

13 Edge Limited AWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

retmil46 wrote:

In the meantime, I've already got pics of my "Joe Boyer Not Ready for Prime Time" Stanadyne filter assembly installed in the CRD. If Cowcatcher is still up for doing the honors, I'll send them his way.

Can't do it until later tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK, here are Mitchell's pics (I edited out the XXX ones :lol:)

ImageImage
ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

retmil
can you confirm that there are no banjo fittings in your racor setup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:28 pm 
LOST Member

...And what's the story with the coffee grounds?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next